Thyroid Disorders Community
goiter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

goiter

Just diagnosed with a multinodular goiter.   A nodule was found while having a CAT scan of the lungs.  Just had an ultrasound of the thyroid and right lobe measures 2.0 x 6.8 cm and the left  2.0 x 7.9 cm.  Is this an odd shape?  Also from reading the posts I imagine Docs will recommend a FNA of the nodule that measures 8 x 1.9cm based on size and a sibling with thyroid cancer.  Terrified of a needle going into my neck would it be safe to observe for six months?  All lab works are fine.    
I really dont think you can go by labs.  I had a multinodular goiter with a right mass 5.2cm and a left mass 5.0cm I had a TT to have it removed I didnt have a FNA but I know lots of people on here have so I hope someone can give you more insight on that.  Mine was totally benign.
Just wanted to say hope  all goes well with you.
Dana
I had a FNA last month & it was not that bad at all.  Three pokes & that was it.  Sure, I was really nervous but the end result was a bandaid & an answer to let me know what to do next.  I have a 3.6cm multicystic goiter on my right lobe.  I am having surgery to remove it as I just don't feel like having this huge thing in my neck longer then I have to.  FNA is 95% accurate if the person who does it is skilled.  Mine was done under ultrasound....wouldn't do it any other way.  All my lab work was fine as well.  With the sibling history of thyroid cancer I believe I would go ahead and have the FNA.  Are they cystic or solid???  Thyroid cancer is very treatable especially if caught at an early stage.  What is your doctor recommending?

Hope this helps!
God Bless~
Margie