Thyroid Disorders Community
golf ball size mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

golf ball size mass

First I'd like to say I'm really glad to have found these forums.  I have a mass about the size of a golfball growing on my thyroid.  Had the labs and the ultrasound and scan last week.  Being it was a holiday week I wont know anything until monday.  It is the second one I have had, the first was appx 17 years ago.  This one has been there for a number of years and growing all the while.  Dr put me on thyroid meds to stop it from growing, didnt work...so I quit taking them long ago.  At what point do they decide to take it out surgically?  When I had the first one they took it out pretty quick, that one was benign tumor.  Do you think that is what this is again?  Also, has any one ever had a reaction to the iodine pill?  I have a rash all over my face since taking it but they said it wasnt from that.
In theory small nodule can grow if too much ioidine was ingested.
I was hoping this forum would be a little more active.  : (
Hi~

It is slow being the holiday weekend.  I can tell you about my expierence.  I had the first 1/2 of my thyroid out on 11/4 due to a 3.5 cm nodule on the left side of my thyroid.  I had a benign FNA over the summer.  We were taking it out on size alone.  The frozen section came back benign and they sewed me up.  5 days later I got the call that I have papillary thyroid cancer.  I had my 2nd surgery 11/14.  Only surgery can tell you for sure if it is cancer or not.  My doctor said mine has probably been growing for 10 to 15 years!
Mine was found totally by accident.  If I was you, I would have it out.  Better to be safe then sorry!  I have no answers for your iodine question.  Hope this helps a little!

Hmmm, at 3.5 they took it out on size alone?  If I am measuring this correctly mine is 6.5 cm across by 6 cm up and down.  I am praying that here in just a little while I will be able to get the results so I can find a surgeon and get this ball rolling.  Im not too concerned with the results I just need them to get anything done about this.  I know this one has been growing for at least 10 years, when I first felt it it was maybe the size of a pea.  The endo dr always said if its not bothering me then leave it alone.  Well its bothering me because it is interfering with swallowing now.  Im also very curious about what the thyroid levels were...I think if they are low then that will explain a few things!
Well it took them til almost 6 tonight to get around to calling me.  According to him the scan was normal and the function was normal but the ultrasound results say I dont have one mass i have several.  He offered to make arrangements to have it biopsied, uh, no, you give me the results tomorrow and I  will make arrangements to have it (them) removed.  Then they can do what they want with it.
is a tumour or nudule the same as an enlarged gland? My 11 yr. old daughter has an that and she is suppose to go an hour and a half to see a specialist which makes me wonder if it is of more concern than the doc. wants to let on. All her blood test came back fine except for a to low GOOD cholestral. what ever that is. Would that be related to the thyroid?
Honey I have no idea, I really am lost when it comes to all this!