Thyroid Disorders Community
hard to swallow....enlarged thyroid..help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

for a little less than a year its been difficult to swallow. ive had ultrasounds and pictures taken. my thyroid is enlarged and i have a cyst... the dr. kinda just left it at that. its still giving me trouble. i dont know if i should push the issue. symptoms of thyroid disorders?
yes.  could be from too little thyroid hormone.  WHen the thyroid does not get enough hormone it can tend to swell up.  Ever seen those pics of those people in other countries with those huge goiters?    Well we don't see that over here that much because we have good enough care that we go to the dr. and get it treated before it gets to that points.

Also it could be from titrating up too fast on medication - or a reaction from certain ones.  I know when i took too much naturethroid too fast my thyroid gland was really hurting me.  Remember to go slow when bumping up.

What are you taking?
not on any thyroid meds. the ENT that got my second ultrasound results said that the mass or enlargement hadnt grown since the last ultrasound that was like 7 months prior. i got those results over the phone. thats all ive heard. my regular dr. has no expertise in thyroid, so im at a loss, because the difficulty swallowing is becoming more of a nuisance. and this is probably just in my head, but it seems that my throats not allowing enough air to get to my lungs.
Hi, my thyroid began to swell in 2006, I had trouble swallowing, choking Etc.....  Last week, I find out my thyroid is 4 times larger then a normal thyroid.  I constantly burp now.  *Ugh!*

If your thyroid is giving you difficulty, push the issue or get a 2nd opinion.  Good luck !  
Ask your doctor to test your for FREE T3, FREE T4 and TSH.  Make sure to specify "free" on those two, or they'll test total T3 and total T4, which are not nearly as useful.  Those will let you know how your thyroid is functioning.  Once you have results, you can post them here along with reference ranges (vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report), and members will help you interpret them since just being "in normal range" often isn't enough to relieve symptoms.

Do you have other symptoms besides difficulty swallowing and breathing?  Fatigue?  Insomnia or excessive sleeping?  Unexplained weight changes?  Intolerance to heat or cold?  High or low BP and/or HR?

Perhaps your regular doctor could refer you to someone who knows more about thyroid?
well actually i am having diificulty breathing, like im not getting enough air to my lungs. i didnt think that that would have anything to do with it. im definately overweight and gaining. my mom is a nurse and she says that my bp is too low for my size. my pulse is usually high. i used to be very hot natured, but seem to be getting more intolerable to the cold lately. idk what all of this means. i also keep coughing up extremely thick mucus that doesnt seem to come from my chest. the drs. that ive been to say that they dont think theres any relation. its getting hard to take any medicine. it gets stuck in my throat.
im definately overweight and gaining. my mom is a nurse and she says that my bp is too low for my size. my pulse is usually high. i used to be very hot natured, but seem to be getting more intolerable to the cold lately. i stay tired no matter how much sleep i get. i also keep coughing up extremely thick mucus that doesnt seem to come from my chest. the drs. that ive been to say that they dont think theres any relation. its getting hard to take any medicine. it gets stuck in my throat.