Thyroid Disorders Community
hashimotos thyroiditis and insomnia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hashimotos thyroiditis and insomnia

i have hashimoto's thyroiditis hypothyroidism and my antibodies is 25000(the unit i forgot).but i experience severe insomnia which i cant sleep sometimes evn 2-3hrs.if i sleep also it is fluctuating day by day and i cant come to any conclusion why it happens.Often i experience this problem and most of the endocrinologist's have no answer for my question and they say i have physocological problem which i know i dont have any problems and i have a very good fmly life and even i go for periodical checkups as to find any hidden medical conditions for insomnia.but i dont have any.no sugar,no BP and my cholestrol,ecg even normal.plss advise ....iam so tired.........my t3 and t4 are normal.my tsh is 7.5.kindly help.........
Have they tested to see if you have the fibromayalgia ''sore spots''( this is the testing method)? Usually those with fibro have bad insomnia too. The symptoms also mimic each other. There is treatment for fibo that may help. If not, you may have to start taking RX sleeping pills every other night. Sleep is precious, get some!
Please post those "normal" T3 and T4 test results, along with their reference ranges shown on the lab report.   Just because those test results are within the so-called normal range does not mean they are adequate for you.  What other symptoms do you have?
I also had hashimoto an now just hypo according to my Endo. But I had horrible insomnia for years with hashimoto, and my endo told me it was just stress, maybe I should take sleeping pills..which I wouldn't..went to another endo for second opinion and he wanted to put me on an antidepressent...So they were no help with insomnia at all. Insomnia has gotten to be much better at being hypothroid..
Just figured I would let you know you were not alone in what you are feeling.
Tracey
thks a lot!i couldnt make out which is my correct tsh .eventhough they say normal.but i feel symptoms of  insomnia in both slightly hypo and slightly hyper.so i feel better in betn( 3-2).i cant maintain that tsh as i need to do repeated tests which doctor himself dont suggest as he is a general physician.Also i have a doubt can we take two different dosages in every alternate days?to maintain the tsh?kindly help.thks in advance
I too have elevated antibodies (250 at the moment) and severe insomnia.  I was also told it is just stress.  I felt my best when my tsh was around 3.  I have never had it lower than that without going hyper.  I understand about not being able to maintain that level!  I'm sorry I can't offer solutions, but you are definitely not alone.  I hope you can get some rest soon.
My insomnia has resolved for the moment after I was put on a thyroid support compound that has dessicated thyroid in it. (Thyroid Plus by Priority One). It took about a week, and suddenly I was sleeping through the night and waking up rested. Prior to that I was taking melatonin (1 mg) and 500 mg Tylenol (body pain), and turning my electric mattress pad on low (I couldn't get warm at night) which helped a little, but not as good as the thyroid meds...(I'm also a Hashi's.) I've only been on it a month, but most of my hypo symptoms are diminishing or gone. Whoever says the insomnia is "just stress" is full of it and doesn't know what they are talking about.  ~MM
After seeing your msg,iam little more convinced that iam not a mad which my doctor made me to think like that.We know our body and if we have some problems definitely we are  going to say that and  ready to get a good soln for insomnia.i think endocrinologists need to do more  studies and research work in hashimoto's as there are lot of underlying symptoms in different individuals. when they say i have stress until then i was not stressed but definitely i go mad only when they conclude my insomnia like that.ok friend.pls update me whenever u find good soln.thks a lot.
Hi friends
thks .Now understood iam not alone after joining  this community.1 wk before i had my test results in which my tsh is 1.73,but my insomnia still continuing.i think it will be okay when it is around 3.so i need to wait atleast a mnth or 2 mnths without sleeep.omg!sleeping pills never work for me if i continue to take more than 2 or 3 days.can anyone pls suggest what food we need to take and need to avoid for hashimoto's as lots of doctors have difference of opinions in food also.since here in kualalumpur no good endocrinnologists i have tonnes of doubts to ask you all.pls be patience and try to answer me since it would help me a lot.thks again to all.
meera, I am just learning that this is all not in my head either.  I started having insomnia AND panic attacks when my hashimoto's started acting up.  MY endo literally acted like I was a nut case.  I actually went to see a therapist just to make sure, and she was just astounded by the lack of attention to my medical problems.  Doctor's do not want to think for the most part.  They just hand out meds instead of fixing the real problem.  I personally am going to study everything I can find out about thyroids now!  We are not crazy!  My doc asked me what kind of stress I was under that was causing my panic attacks.. I was like um .... THIS.  It's pretty stressful having panic attacks and not being able to sleep!   What does help for me is valerian tea (you can buy sleepytime extra from any store) just make sure you aren't mixing it with alcohol or other sedating meds.  The sleepytime extra though is pretty mild.  I also drink something called  peter gillhams natural calm powder.  It's magnesium and helps relieve nerves, and helps you sleep.  It has helped me a lot.  I drink inositol powder too, but that is more for a calming effect.  I have heard though that it helps people sleep.  These are just things to help until you can get your thyroid back on track (which can take a long time).  I'm hoping one day mine will be normal too.  Until then, I just try to deal with the symptoms as well as I can.  I hope you find something that works for you.
Thks very much for your great concern and  for your quick response.i think the above mentioned items can be purchased in any herbal medical shop?trust you  will also feel good one day.we are all with you.
You can buy the tea at krogers, or any local grocery store by you.  The inositol powder and calm powder I buy and local health stores, but you could get them online too.  If you go to a health store, they might have better quality valerian tea, but I try to stick with the mild amount.  Your insomina is severe however, and valerian works wondefully for sleeping, so I wouldn't hesitate to ask the health store about a the teas they have.  They really have worked tremendously for me.
thks a lot .Since valerian is a herbal let me try local tea stores and herbal stores.
I am certain I've had Hashimotos for several years. I was finally diagnosed in May 2010 after seeking help from 4 different physicians trying to find out why I felt so NOT myself. I thought - if THIS is age setting in (I am 55) then this STINKS!!!  I'd begun having ear  infections, sinus infections, dry skin, fatigue, painful joints & muscle aches, weight gain, insomnia....I was given antibiotics, meds for gurd (gerd) (which I didn't have) and was recommended antidepressants - which after years of being on & off them I finally said "no". I was recommended to go to a psychologist. I didn't.
During those years I suffered periods of insomnia and anxiety attacks but I thought it was because I'd gone through a very painful divorce and was still recovering emotionally.
I had NO idea that I was suffering from the "hyper" phases of Hashimotos. I recall being at work and having episodes of trembling - and feeling like my heart was going to pop out of my chest. It was frightening! I went to the doctor and had an EKG - it was fine. So I said to the doctor - WHAT is wrong with me??
Next 3 doctors...WHAT is wrong with me? FINALLY some blood work and a  TSH of 7.6 followed by an antibody test revealed the hashis.
Okay...this doesn't answer the question about insomnia does it? Sorry!
Sleep is important as we all know!
This may sound silly, but a cup of camomile tea (or any herb tea) and reading a good book helps me. I make bedtime sort of a ritual. Warm bath, etc (the mental part)
I take calcium, magnesium & selenium at bedtime.There are times I will still take 1/2 Xanax if I feel restless.
I've taken Armour thyroid for 6 months now. It has made a world of difference for me. (I crush it and take it with a small bit of honey in the morning) I do believe thyroid hormone would help - it takes weeks, months for the body to adjust to thyroid hormone.
Hemasubra, with a TSH of 7.5 your pituitary gland is trying to send messages to a ravaged thyroid gland and I suspect your adrenal glands are stressed out too. The endocrine (hormone) system is very delicate.
Have no thyroid replacement meds been suggested?
thks and i really wonder how you went thru those difficult times and it boosts me more  and as you said i also taking camomile tea but not the supplements  you mentioned above.iam taking thryoid medications 125mcg.here its difficult to find doctors prescribing Armour thyroid.So we need to live with it.As i read everyone's view onething i understood is i need to keep my tsh in exact range in which i feel better and to take some herbal teas, following some relaxation techniques to keep us stress free.thks again.
Have you looked up Dr. David Brownstein?
I had severe Hypothyroidism and I went on his treatment and it has brought me back from the dead. If I went into detail about my symptoms you would be shocked.

RB
We don't shock very easily.  Please tell us about your symptoms and the doctor's treatment.  Very interested.