Thyroid Disorders Community
heartburn / indigestion - thyroid related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have been having a burning/acid sensatoin at the base of my throat and I am wondering if this could be related to my hyperthyroidism.  I have been having this all week - morning and night.  Sometimes it feels as though something is in the very bas of my throat.  It's not in my chest, and I have never really had heartburn before, so I don't know.

I go to the second Endro tomorrow.  Just want to know if this is something I should mention to him or not.  Thanks!
You probably have Gastro Esophogeal Reflux Disease (GERD)...do you cough after you eat or get excessive phlegm?  If so, have him prescribe Prilosec, you can notice a difference in a few weeks, then you will be able to tell if it is indeed GERD.  
Like MANmom said, its not allways in your chest (actual heartburn). Is the throat feel bad in the morning?

A lot of thyroid people have acid reflux at night and dont realize it, then termed silent reflux or LPRD, which is a little different than major heartburn. The difference is you may not feel the burn down low near the LES but you can wake up gagging if the acid makes it way to the voice box area past the Upper Esophageal Sphincter. The throat gets soar in the morning and muscles contract in 'defense mode' termed 'globus sensation' in the medical community.

Prilosec or other PPI might work for you. Like stated above, test it out. It is not meant to use long term though, can mess you up. Bad for pancreas. With less acid you will not absorb food correctly, nor will you digest it. If you do have GERD, seek natural treatments if Prilosec works or not. Dont use over 3 months!!

D-limonene (orange peel extract by Jarrow taken with food one a day) works long term and safer. Some people need more acid and take Apple Cider Vinager.

You can raise the head of your bed 6-8 inches with wood blocks for a few weeks, as it will help in the healing of a 'burned throat', if that is the case. Another easy first step to try. See if throat feels better in the morning.
Ok, just checking.  I was put on Zantac after my stomach infection.  I took it for a few weeks then stopped.  Once I stopped, I only had a few instances of anything similar to hartburn.  Now, this week I am noticing it every time I eat.  I don't wake up with it though, at least I don't notice it first thing in the morning.  It feels as though something is sitting at the base of my neck/throat.  I guess I am back on Zantac ...

Thanks for the input.
I was told by a nurse when I was in the hospital that Baking Soda is the same ingredient as the expensive pill prilosec. I did check it out on the Internet and found much info to support her claims. The Baking Soda box actually has the instructions on how to use for such conditions. Check it out! I personally have used it MANY of times with great relief :)
If Zantac (ranitidine) works for you, that is a safer choice than Prilosec!  Pepcid AC is also the same drug classification. But its still a chemical 'bandaid'. If GERD persist, seek the cause from other forums!!

Prilosec (brand for omeprazole), Pantoprazole and Nexium are not at all in any way chemically related to baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate). They are in the Proton Pump Inhibitor class of drugs thus the term PPI. How they work is by turning the acid pumps OFF in your stomach. While on this drug, the amount of acid your stomach can still produce is directly proportional to the MG's of PPI taken.

Yes baking soda can be used for indigestion. Sodium Bicarbonate is just a mixure of elements from the Atomic table of elements - whatever its called. It works by chemical reaction of neutralization (PH) of acids, any acid. Instant relief, but short term. Alka Seltzer is mainly Sodium Bicarbonate and Asprin. There is only one PPI that also has some sodium bicarbonate in it, Zegerid.
I say google it and see what the relationship is for yourself.

Baking Soda related to Prilosec
The only thing baking soda and Prilosec have in common is they both have been used for indigestion or GERD related discomfort, they chemically work different in the stomach.  Unfortunately the nurse misinformed you.

Are you a Chemist?  I don't need to google it, as I could write a book on GERD.  It is not hard to understand the technical explanation of the differences in my last post.  Also have old prescription info from all of the above previously stated. I was only giving this person some very sound semi-technical advise to help them understand there options. End of story.
No I'm not a Chemist and don't claim to be! What I am claiming is that Baking Soda works for me!  If I have been mis informed I'm only REPEATING what I have been told and what I have read on the Internet AS I HAVE CLEARLY STATED!.

Again if the Nurse and internet is wrong as to the many articles that come up when googled then knowing the truth is good.

Not sure why you are feeling the need to become so HUFFY about it I simply suggested others to research it for themselves.
Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!. I tried the baking soda thing yesterday.  I got immediate relief from that awful bloated feeling that I've been fighting for months.  It's going to take time to get my Levo regulated.  Nothing I can do about that.  The gut pain is really wearing me down.  I would much rather use a simple home remedy than an expensive Rx to get me through this.
If I am reading this correctly the question is "does acid reflex come on with thyroid issues?

Yes - they are related. Alot of doctors that Dx thyroid disorders in people say they are not - but that is false.

Whether your running too high - or very low in thyroid - the GI  and stomach will act up.

They best thing to do is try to balance out the PH levels instead of limiting the acid with PPI's

Actually taking that acid away with those meds can make the thyroid patient worse with those symptoms.

I also found natural sources to rid myself of acid reflex. ACV - lemon - and baking soda worked well for me. I also went out and bought PH strips for my urine and tracked my levels until the acid reflex went away. It seems the PH of 9.0 took the heartburn away. I have to look back on my records and check that 9 out. but it roughly was around there.

It's a miserable symptom of thyroid disease. And the longer it's there the more damage can be done.

Try to keep it under control until your thyroid levels go back to where they belong for you.
Your more then welcome! I'm glad that it worked for you! It is a wonderful inexpensive solution for me 99% of the time. My hubby and I are into all the natural remedies when possible. I'd like to share another that I and others have had amazing results with that will stop heartburn, nausea or stomach bloating/pain by drinking a strong mixture of Chamomile & Mint Tea that can be bought at your local grocery store. I find if I drink it on a daily basis it prevents and HEALS my stomach aliments better then any prescription drug or any over the counter anti acid I've taken in the past. (make sure you get Mint and not spearmint)  

Because of these tea's I haven't had to take a prescription drug for my tummy in the last 10 years and I used to be placed on a prescription at least once every 6-12 months for six weeks. As to the Baking Soda just follow the directions to stay safe. I know stomach issue's are NO fun and again I'm glad you have gotten relief. Be Blessed!
Thanks for the enlightenment as to the reason why this happens. Good Info!
Thank you for your input on this.  It appears that different people have different preferrances.  

Back to the original question, The Zantac I already had so I will use that until I go back in for a follow-up or until the symptoms subside.  Its just odd that this started all at once regardless to when or what I ate.  The Zantac is helping.  I still have a feeling of fullness at the base of my neck though.

Thanks again.
I have a multi nodular goitre,my hormone levels are fine,ive now started to get really bad constant heart burn,i never use to get it before goitre,could it be related? Thanks
i had my thyroid removed due to cancer; they also found a lump. Very relieved to know that heartburn is a definite symptom. They took my off my thyroid medicine to get my iodine levels down enough to start the radioactive treatment. Has anyone else gone through this?
You've attached your comments to a very old thread and most of the previous posters are no longer active on the forum.  Your question would get much more attention if you'd post a thread of your own, by clicking the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of the page, type your comments, then click the green "Post a Comment" button.