Thyroid Disorders Community
heartburn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

heartburn

Is heartburn an after effect of radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroid?
Tags: Heartburn
Heartburn is often associated with being hypo, which could well be, since you have had the RAI.  What are your latest test results and reference ranges?
I sure had it... bad,,, but as Gimel said - the RAI may be minimal to it as the hypothyroid is - setting in.

Raising my Free T3 hormone and getting on acidophillus and working on balancing my PH levels did the trick for me along with raising the Free T3 hormone.
Thank you for the info.  I am only on my first month of meds to regulate my hypothyroid issues. It helps to know that someone knows how I feel!!!  Hopefully when the drs. & drugs get it regulated the hearburn will be better!!!
Getting properly regulated will require that the doctor test and adjust the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones, which are free T3 and free T4, not just TSH.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables, that it is a poor diagnostic, by which to regulate meds.   Frequently we hear from members that in order to alleviate symptoms, FT3 needs to be in the upper part of its range and FT4 at least to the midpoint of its range, without being constrained by resultant TSH.  Symptom relief is what you are looking for.    Have you been tested for FT3 and FT4?  If not, then insist that it be done and post results and reference ranges so that members can help interpret.                        
hi,

had RAI last MArch, now on the second month of synthroid.
i'm also experiencing terrible heartburn. it cause me to wake up in the middle of the night and not able to go back to sleep.

so are we saying that heartburn is just a normal symptom of being hypo?
It definitely was for me.  I had terrible heartburn, just as you describe, when I got back into being hypo, while in the process of changing my meds.  In two days after starting on Armour, in order to increase my  FT3 level, the heartburn was gone.

If you haven't been tested for FT3 and FT4 (not total T3 and total T4), then you should get that done.  FT3 is the most important because it is the most active thyroid hormone.  FT3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  FT3 also has been shown to correlate best with hypo symptoms.  So you really need to know the FT3 level, to be sure that it is in balance with FT4.  Many members report that symptom relief for them required that FT3 was adjusted into the upper part of its range and FT4 adjusted to at least midpoint of its range.  

If you have only been on synthroid for two months it may be that the doctor is still in the process of regulating your meds.  However, if the doctor is only testing you for TSH, and dosing you on that test alone, that frequently doesn't work.  That is why I mention  FT3 and FT4 testing.
thanks for that info. i can't remember if i had FT 3 and FT4 test or just TSH the last time. I'll have another blood test this week and will ask my doctor to do FT3 and FT4.

Yes i'm still in the process of regulating meds- was initially put on 100 mcg but was still hypo after a month so they increased me to 125. i only had heartburn problem starting last week. it's terrible! i feel like vomitting after meals. once i forced myself to vomit and it felt better after but i know that's not good. tums is not helping this time, i'm trying apple cider vinegar after meal - it cured my acid reflux before.

thanks again.
If the doctor resists testing for FT3 and FT4, then just tell him that the tests for total T3 and total T4 are somewhat obsolete and don't really reveal anything about the biologically active thyroid hormones, which are of course FT3 and FT4.  Even if you have to insist, don't take no for an answer.  You are the customer.  
If you will get a copy of the lab report and post results and their reference ranges, members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  The doctor is required to provide a copy upon your request.