help with borderline lab results
Hi! I was hoping for some insight on recent test results. I have classic hypo symptoms, but no heath insurance, so getting a doctor to listen and administer tests was hard enough. Now my results are in and they are "normal" by definition of the lab, but not by some of the reference ranges I have seen out there.

I am hoping some of you out there who have experience with this can tell me if it is worth pushing & spending $$ on more doctors/tests or if indeed I am normal and should drop it. My results (and reference ranges listed by this particular lab) are as follows:

TSH 3.36 (.24-4.2)
T4 72. (4.5-12)
FT4 1.01 (.93-1.7)
T3 uptake 31.0 % (24.3-39)
T3 100 (80-200)
FT3 2.7 (2.57-4.43)
Anti-TPO 10 (<35)

also worth noting, I had other blood work 6 years ago when I had unexplained weight gain, at that time only TSH was tested and it was 2.54, so it has gone up since then. I also had an abnormally low Dhea level at that time.

Thanks for any insight. I don't want to throw money away if it is the experience of others that no dr.s will pursue this issue with these test results.
Not quite sure on the FT4. I'm wondering if a decimal is out of place.

Your FT3 is on the low end and your TSH is high according to new AACE guidelines.

My TSH was never above a 2.74. I have Hashimoto's. TSH and the frees tend to fluctuate with Hashi. I noticed the TPO was negative, but no TGab antibody test. You only need one antibody positive to have Hashi. Without both tests, the results are inconclusive.

Get a repeat on both antibodies, as those sometimes fluctuate, too.

You could definitely make a case for hypothyroidism and maybe Hashi, but what are your symptoms?

What's your vitamin D level? Many of us have low D. Lab standards are outdated. It needs to be above a 60. Hashis can have low iron and B12 as well and sluggish kidney and liver function.

Low DHEA could mean adrenal exhaustion, which is very common in the hypothyroid patient. A 24 hour saliva test is the most effective adrenal test and it's usually cheaper than a blood test.

:) Tamra
I just had my labs done as well: TSH=2.189 norm=0.450-4.500
                                                FREE T1=1.1Low  Norm=1.2-4.9
                                                T3 Uptake= 28 norm=24-39
                                                T4=3.8 Low       norm=4.5-12.0
When you have a low T4, normal TSH it indicates a hypothyroid state and a possible pituitary tumor. (benign). I will be addressing this with my doc, asap! My calcium is 10.8 way to high. My vitamin D is 12 and should be 50-100