heterogeneous thyroid
Hi, My thyroglobulin antibodies came back high at 728. My TSH is 0.7 and T4 is 9.1. TP antibodies 21. My doctor recommend I see an endocrinologist. She also ordered an ultrasound of my thyroid. The result is heterogeneous thyroid gland with no nodules or masses. She said this is normal. Is it? What exactly does it mean? I have been reading it is not normal. Thanks, Lola
Your thyroglobulin antibodies (TGab) indicates that you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disease, in which the body sees the thyroid as foreign, and produces antibodies to destroy it. This destruction ultimately results in hypothyroidism, though it's not uncommon for the patient to swing between hyper and hypo in the beginning stages.

Heterogeneous means it's not uniform.  May or may not be significant.  My thyroid ultra sound also said heterogeneous, only I have multiple nodules, where you have none.

What is the reference range for the TPOab, as well as the T4, and is that FREE T4, or Total?  There's a difference.  Did your doctor test Free T3?
TPO range is less than 35. T4 range is 4.5 to 12.0 and that is total. She did not check free T4 or any T3. I go between hypo/hyper symptoms.