Thyroid Disorders Community
high T4 (thyroxine)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

high T4 (thyroxine)

Hi. I have consistently had high T4 thyroxine levels...19.2 , TSH 1.8. T3 uptake 21.2 but have been experiencing multiple symptoms of what seems to be hypothyroidism, very dry skin, brittle hair, low body basal  temperature, slow intestinal activiity, weight gain of approximatley 20 pounds in less than 8 weeks, very low metabolism despite a very active work out regimen.   No weight loss response to diet and exercise after 6 months. After testing I am told I have hyperthyroidism.....I am having trouble understanding this diagnosis....can you help by explaining these numbers and why the diagnosis?
Could be as your t4 is high and tsh low im not sure with the t3 and what that means.. If im right with mine to be Hypo i had a low t4 and high tsh..Symptoms im told can be the same with both..There will be someone who will know more though to help you.
T3 uptake is pretty much obsolete and doesn't tell much; you need a Free T3 test,

What is the range for the T4 result and is that Free or Total?  If it doesn't say Free or FT on the lab report, most likely, it's total and is also obsolete and pretty much useless.  

If the T4 is Free, then I'd certainly want to see a Free T3 result.  If FT4 is high and FT3 is low, that would indicate a problem with conversion of the storage hormone FT4 into the usable hormone, FT3.  

Are you on any med, if so, what kind and dosage?  

Please post the reference range for the T4 and specify whether or not it's Free or Total.  That will help members comment more fully.  
The lab result noremal range for T4 (thyroxine) is 4.4-12.4 with my lab result a 19.2, mDoes not state free t4 or total only T4(thyroxine). Doc started me on Armour thyroid intially then told me my thyroid had "normalized" after these results and I no longer need to take it??????