Thyroid Disorders Community
high TSh normal T4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

high TSh normal T4

HIgh tsh and normal t4 is called euthyroid? or not?
only high  12.0 tsh and normal free t4 can be associated with abortion?
I don't totally understand your questions.

What exactly is your TSH?

What is your FT4 and its reference range?

You have had miscarriages?
I have Hypothyroidism, but my symptoms are hyper.  My TSH was a 13, retested at 11.8, my free T4 was normal low.  From what I have found, when your TSH is high, your pitutiary gland is telling your thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone because your body is low.   What symptoms are you having?
High TSH and normal T4 is still hypothyroid.  This means you need thyroid hormone to reduce the TSH.

High TSH can be associated with miscarriage.  It will be important to take meds to get your TSH down (Low normal ideal - about 0.5 - 1.0 range).

Hope this helps
I disagree with you that as a blanket statement "high TSH and normal T4 is still hypo".  If both FT3 and FT4 are in the normal range, but TSH remains high, then you have to start looking at symptoms.  If you have any hyper symptoms, you have to suspect a pituitary problem, or some other issue (of the hundreds) that makes TSH correlate so badly with symptoms.

High TSH, PER SE, is not associated with any ailment (including miscarriage).  It is only if high TSH reflects insufficinet FT3 and FT4 that it causes problems.

Also, a TSH of 0.5-1.0 is not a one-size-fits-all TSH.  Many of us would be absolutely miserable in that range.  Also, it's really important to de-emphasize TSH and focus on FT3 and FT4.  I'm convinced that once you find the FT3 that YOU FEEL GOOD AT, you can use it to adjust meds optimally.

Everyone knows about subclinical hypothyroidism...normal labs, but you feel terrible.  We hear this all the time.  However, I've been fighting long and hard to get some recognition for the opposite side of this coin...my TSH (23) makes me look sick, sick, sick, but my FT3 and FT4 are normal and I feel absolutely fine.  I have a pituitary issue.  My PCP attempted to kill me getting my TSH down to that "ideal" level.  It never will get there, I now know.  There are many others, who don't have a pituitary issue, who are also not comfortable at 0.5-1.0.  

It's all very individual.
I too am one of the 'oddballs' who doesnt do well if my TSH is under 2.3.......it feels like He// on Earth! lol.
My FT3 & FT4 are fine at present but the TSH is 2.55 and yet I STILL feel good.
My Doc agrees with everything in your posting.
Hes told me all along to 'forget ' the TSH until the FT3 & FT4 are fine and I am comfortable with it.I have had my TSH at 6.0 and its he// and also at 2.0 and its he//.
I think we all have different bodies and hence we all feel better at a TSH which is different to everyone else.
I always say....stick to what the Frees are first then work out the TSH after that.
I totally agree with your posting.
And I have no problem with the Pituitary either.
Hello, i m a 61 y old woman that i have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but i had hyperthyroidism symptoms.The doctors have given me to take Euthyrox 50 mg. The laboratory findings were the follow:
TSH 7.47 miuIU/ml

FT4 0.95 ng/dl

FT3 3.29 pg/ml

What exactly  do i have?Any help appreciated
Do you have the reference ranges for your FT3 and FT4?  All labs use different ranges, so they have to be from your lab report.

Are those labs before or after you started the 50 Euthyrox?

What were your symptoms before starting and have they improved/worsened?
yes the normal levels for TSH are 0.35-5.50, for the FT4 is 0.89-4.20 and for the FT3 is 3.30-4.20.
These lab results were before i have started the euthyroid but the symptoms are improved.
You have hypothyroidism.  Your TSH is above the range, which is currently accepted as 0.3-3.0.  Your lab is using an obsolete range (most labs do).  In addition, your FT4 is at the very bottom of the range and your FT3 is slightly below.  All this indicates a pretty classic case of hypo.

The 50 mcg Euthyrox you're on is an appropriate beginning.  I'm glad to hear that your symptoms are improving. You should have lab work again five to six weeks after starting the meds.  Your doctor will then be able to reevaluate and see if you need an increase or if the 50 mcg seems to be doing the trick.  

What were your hyperthyroid symptoms?
Your labs (and your age) are nearly identical to mine. I have had hyper symptoms (weight loss, palpitations, anxiety, frequent bowel movements) for the past 2 months. Is the Euthyrox effective against these problems? My endo says he doesn't  treat unless the TSH is over 10.
What are your FT3, FT4 and TSH and their ranges?
My TSH is 7.49 (down on its own from 12.45 in early June), range of .40 - 4.50;
free t3 is 1.0 with a range of .8 -1.8,free t4 279 range of 230-420.
Also elevated thyroglobulin, 101 with a normal range of 2.0 to 35.0,
but no antibodies showing.
All this started with an evaluation for palpitations. I appreciate all the wisdom on this site-apparently this thyroid business is a tough knot to unravel.
I'm adding another endo to my hit list...yours!

Any endo who doesn't treat until the TSH is over 10 should be fired immediately and without a backward glance.  He's a sadist!

Your symptoms are basically hyper.  However, your labs look distinctly hypo.  

It might be time to find an endo who will treat you.  Have you had thyroid antibody tests done (TPOab and TGab) to rule out or confirm an autoimmune disease?  If you have Hashi's, it could explain the contradiction between symptoms and labs to some extent.
My 1 yr old daughter has been struggling with constant diahreah & poor weight gain since she was born. She even lost weight at one point & came off the weight chart, so she didn't register at all. She's had numerous tests for cealiac disease, milk/lactose allergy/intolerance as we thought that was the problem & various other tests. They all came back normal. A recent test for her thyroid function showed there was a porblem. Her T4 is normal but her TSH is raised at 7.1mlU/L. All they have said to me is they will retest in 3 months time & do a thyroid auto antibodies test at the same time. They have told me to look for the symptoms: constipation, sleepiness or lethargy, dry skin and course hair.
I'm a bit confused. What has she got?
Judging by her TSH, it would appear that she's hypothyroid, but without knowing what the levels of her Free T4 and Free T3 are, it's really impossible to say.  You are saying her T4 is normal --- is that Free T4 or Total T4 and what is the exact result, along with the lab's reference range?  Different labs use different ranges, so it's necessary to know where she falls in THAT range.  

Are you seeing the symptoms they told you to look for?

In my opinion, with a TSH of 7.1, they should not be waiting 3 months to retest.  They need to be looking NOW to find out what's wrong.  If her current doctor won't proceed at this point, I'd suggest that you find a different doctor -- maybe an endocrinologist who specializes in pediatric issues.  

My TSH level is 9.07 from the range mentioned (0.30 to 5.5) and my T3 is 2.53 out of (1.7 to 4.2) and T4 is 1.13 out of (0.70 to 1.80).I dont have kids.Planning for my pregenency .Please help.
Your labs look a bit hypothyroid.  Currently accepted range for TSH is 0.3-3.0 according to AACE.  FT3 and FT4 are both in range, but lower than where many people are comfortable.  Many have to have midrange FT4 and upper half to upper third FT3 before feeling well.  

Have you had any thyroid antibody tests?  Are you on meds?  Do you have hypo symptoms?
I dont have any thyroid antibody tests.I am not consuming any meds.I feeling completley fine.I reduced my weight by 2 kgs.Can you tell me more clearly about hypo symptoms.
I think it might be worthwhile to have thyroid antibody tests (TPOab and TGab) to see if you are in the initial stages of autoimmune disease.

Hypo symptoms emcompass a very long list...the most common, I would say, include fatigue and/or drowsiness, weight gain, depression, "brain fog", memory problems, constipation, etc.  You can google and get a complete list.

Your TSH is quite high, indicating hypo.  However, TSH is a pituitary hormone and influenced by any number of factors in the hypothalamus/pituitary/thyroid axis.  If you're considering conceiving, I think it might be a good idea to determine a cause for the high TSH, even if you are feeling well at the moment.  It could forestall several problems down the road when pregnancy and childbirth will be taxing your thyroid even more.

If you have antibodies tested, ask for a repeat of the FT3, FT4 and TSH at the same time.  If you are in the initial stages of autoimmune, your TSH could be fluctuating considerably.

if you are considering getting pregnant you need to reduce your TSH (by taking thyroid meds) with the target between 0.3 - 2.0.  FT3 and FT4 should also be in the upper half of the reference range.  This is important for a healthy pregnancy and normal developmetn of the baby.

If you do get pregnant the meds will need to be increased during the pregnancy, with monthly blood tests.
my I don't know anything about TSH,but my baby is a downs syndrome child and they sometimes have thyroid problem. the result of his TSH is 7.49 MIU/L and the reference range is 0.68-25.0 MIU/L. Can somebody tell me is it normal?
Would you check the range again on your TSH, please?  That's a very unusual TSH range.

Do you have any other results besides TSH?  Free T3 or free T4?
I need help.  My original Thyroid tests were:
FT4  0.90           lab range ( 0.77-1.61)
TSH Sensitive  10.11 High     lab range (0.34 -4.82)

Started on Cytomel  1 month later lab results:
Ft4 0.65 Low   (0.77 0 1.61)
TSH 5.23 High  (0.34 - 4.82)  

I was put on a half tab of cytomel and now he wants me to continue the half tab but 2 days a week take a whole tab.  I am to come back next month to retest levels.     I think I should take a whole tab but I am concerned my ft4 was lowered.  It was normal but now its low.  My Tsh was high but it did drop to a better level on the Cytomel.  
I have tried Synthroid but didn't care for that.  I don't recall what my results were on it.  I quit it cause I felt it gave me a dull headache.  SO I started over with the above tests.....    I was off my synthroid for @ 2 mths before the first lab and then started on Cytomel.    

Brenda
check out your other thread as some responses to your identical post are there.

Being treated with T3 med only is odd.  Usually only after all else has failed and usually only added to a T4 med for folks who have problem converting T4 to T3.
Drs are so quick to medicate these days using only the knowledge gained from their latest luncheon or golf game with a drug dealer/sales rep. For instance, mine wants to put me on meds because I have a slightly elevated (6.9) TSH, but NORMAL T3 and T4. What a quack! If T3 and T4 are normal and I have no symptoms (e.g., lethargy), what the heck would I take meds for?
Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me why you would go on meds if you don't need to.  Besides, once on meds, it is hard to get off them.  Then what, you are stuck the rest of you life perhaps;  when you really never needed it to begin with?  UGGH!  No thanks.  

Personally, if you feel fine and are having no symptoms and FT's are decent, I would ignore it.  Now, some on this forum may say otherwise, as I am no expert by no means.  As a doc, though, he may have some reasonable rationale for the meds that we are not fully aware of here.
The most likely explanation is that your doctor, like many, treats by TSH only.  Many of them never see beyond TSH, even if they order FT3 and FT4 testing.  Of course, I am in no way condoning that.

One thing to bear in mind is that many people are not asymptomatic (not your case, apparently) intil FT4 is midrange and FT3 upper range.  This is not the case for everyone, but it is for many of us.

Another possibility is that you have Hashi's (have your antibodies ever been tested?).  It can take years or even decades before antibodies cause enough damage to cause symptoms.  When to start treatment is a controversial topic.  Some feel that starting before symptoms appear can forestall some of the less pleasant aspects of the disease while others feel that symptom relief is the only reason to start treatment.  

I hate to take anything as well, and you should certainly not allow your doctor to start you on meds based on TSH only.  
my TSH level is 4.89 and T4 is 1.0 and I am 13 weeks pregnant... is it required to start any medication?
Over three yeras I have tried all doses of Levo from zero to 150 for at least six weeks each before tests. Results in general have been within  the normal lab ranges but NEVER ONCE has my FT3 level been above the lower third or less. What's left to try? Maybe I don't convert T4?
We are not doctors on this forum, but fellow patients.

Your TSH is elevated, and your FT4 is at the low end of the range.  Ranges vary lab to lab, so you should make sure that your range is what I am assuming (approximately 0.8-1.8).  You should discuss starting thyroid meds with your obstetrician or have him refer you to an endocrinologist.  Maternal hypothyroidism can cause developmental problems for your baby.  
Hello, there!

You obviously do not convert well.  I wonder if that has something to do with age...perhaps as we get older we run lower levels of FT3?  Actually, my FT3 runs pretty low as well, but I feel well.  How are you feeling?  Perhaps you don't really need your FT3 higher???
Hello, i just got my blood test  results from my annual check up and dr told me that i am having tyroid problems.

THS 4.510
T4 8.2
T3 Uptake 30%
Free Thyroxine Index 2.5

I am 27 female no health problems. Is it true that my thyroid is high? thanks
I have to ask you to be a bit more specific before I comment.

Is your T4 test free T4 or total T4?  If it doesn't specifically say "free", then it's total.  Also, please supply the referene range from your own lab report.  Ranges vary lab to lab, so you have to post range with result.

T3 Uptake is considered an obsolete test, of limited value.  It has been replaced by FREE T3.  However, please supply the range for that as well.  Likewise, FTI is also considered obsolete.

One general comment:  Your doctor seems to be ordering outdated tests, which would indicate that s/he might not be super weill-informed on thyroid.

I'll comment further after you've clarified.  Thanks.
I just got my lab results back and my TSH - Ultrasensitive is 22.13.  My T4, Free was in the normal range of .84  What does this mean?  Do I need to be concerned?
Yes, you should probably be concerned, depending on the range for the Free T4. Can you post that for us?  Reference ranges vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report.  Most ranges we see for FT4 are something like 0.8-1.8.  If the range on your report is close to that, then your FT4 is way too low, even though it's in range.

Have you had a Free T3 test?  Do you know if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?
My T4 Free test result was .84.  I have not had the T3 test and as far as I know I do not have  Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
Sorry, the range on my test results was 0.80-1.80 ng/dl
As Barb said, your FT4 is way too low in the range.  It's right on the floor of the range.  Many of us find that we have to be at least midrange (1.3 on your range) before symptoms are relieved.  

Your TSH is high, also confirming that you are hypo.

Going forward, ask your doctor to test FT3 as well.  FT3 is the test that correlates best with symptoms.  Many doctors don't think FT3 is important (we know otherwise).  If your doctor balks at testing FT3, perhaps just tell him that you'd like it for your records in case it ever becomes an issue down the road...too much info is better than too little.

You might also want to ask for thyroid antibody testing to see if you have Hashi's.  Hashi's is one of the most prevalent causes of hypo in the developed world.  Thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPOab) and thyroglobulin antibodies (TGab) both have to be tested as some of us are positive for one, some the other and some both.

How do you feel?  Has your doctor suggested you go on meds?
Yes, I just went to my doctor this morning and she has put me on meds.  The last six months or so I have been very tired.  Every night after work I go home and sleep for about 1-1 1/2 hours.  I have had major headaches, something I never get.  Also, muscle aches.  I've been blaming that on my arthritis, but now I wonder. I've also been very jittery. I'm going to go back in to see her in about 6 weeks, so I will ask for the additional test then.  Thank you so much for your help.
What med(s) and dosage(s) did your doctor put you on?

When you get retested, be sure to ask for Free T3, along with the Free T4 and TSH.  Also ask for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGab), as those will determine whether or not you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  Treatment won't change, but at least you'll know that you need to be tested regularly and keep your levels adjusted properly in order to feel well.
I have had many symptoms that correlate with thyroid issues ever since the birth of my third child (I now have 6!).  Anyhow, I have slight weight gain, extensive hairloss, headaches, heavy periods, anxiety and boughts of depression as well as some others I cannot think of at the moment.  I have gone back and forth between my regular doctor and gynecologist as well as numerous specialists for the headaches.  Nothing has been shown as the cause and yet my hormones have never been tested.  Recently, I had my appendix out and the doctor ordered labwork including thyroid levels (I was having chills after surgery).  My tsh was an 8.5 and my freeT4 was a .8.  Would this account for my symptoms?  I am taking my results to my regular doctor and I am pressing him to help me figure this out.  Enough already!
You are missing the most important thyroid test which is for Free T3.  Free T3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have also shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  Even though TSH is a poor diagnostic for thyroid, along with your symptoms, your TSH is high enough to be a good indicator of hypothyroidism.  

So whenever you go in for tests you should always make sure they test for Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4), along with TSH that they always test.  It would also be a good idea to test for Vitamin A, D, B12 and ferritin, since many hypo patients are also low in those areas as well.  

When test results are available, please get a copy and post results and their reference ranges and members will be glad to help interpret your status and advise further.  
In April I Had  TSH of 2.98 at a healthfair I attended through my work.  I went for an annual check-up in June and had a TSH of 7.17. The Doc also did a T4 free (1.11) at that time and said it was normal and to come back in 6 months to retest  TSH levels.  With in the next 3-4 weeks my symptoms continued to get worse including extreme fatigue, having trouble sleeping at night even though I was exhausted, constipation, muscle weekness pain in joints, swelling around my eyes,  and was very emotional.  So I made another appointment went back and had more blood work.  My TSH had gone up more to a 8.87 but still my T3 and T4 free were normal.  We decided to try meds.  I am taking 50 mg of Synthroid... It has been a month and I feel so much better.  Every day is not perfect, but so much better than before.  Should I be more concerned that my T3(119) and T4 free(1.09) were within normal ranges, or would you say this is Hypothyroid?
Is the T3 for Free or Total?  There's a difference.  If it's "Free T3" it should specify on the lab report.  If it doesn't say "free" or FT, then it's total and is considered obsolete and of little value.  

That said, since that's what you have, that's what we'll use, but we need to have a reference range.  Ranges vary lab to lab, so must come from your own report.  The range is often listed in parenthesis beside the result.  

We'll also need the reference range for the Free T4, but if yours is close to what we often see, it's quite low in the range and could be considered hypo.

Please post the reference ranges for both the T3 and the Free T4, so we can better assess your situation.
The Free T4 ranges were 0.89-1.8
The T3 was just T3 not Free. ranges 100-200
Both your FT4 and T3 are low in their ranges.  Since Free T3 is the hormone that's actually, used by the individual cells, that's the most important.  Of that total T3 you had tested, a good share would be bound by protein, therefore, unusable.  It, then, stands to reason that your FT3 would be even lower yet, which would account for your symptoms.

In my opinion, you would be hypo.  It takes 4-6 weeks for the med to reach full potential in your body, so being on it, for only one month, doesn't tell much.

You should retest again, in a couple of weeks and see if your FT4 has come up and do be sure to ask for FREE T3 every time, not total.
Did you get any answers? I sure could use some... docs think I am hypothyroid. I had a baby 7 months ago. Hypothyroid doesn't make sense to me as a diagnosis because my T4 Free levels are 1.6 and my TSH is 24.8
I am having symptoms of hyperthyroid-heart palpatations, hot flashes, etc. I am wondering if I have a pituitary problem and afraid to take hypo meds and make racing hear worse. any ideas
sykor hasn't posted on the forum since 2009, so it's likely she will respond to you.

What is the reference range for your FT4?  Ranges vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own lab report.

Do you have a Free T3 test result?  FT3 is the thyroid hormone that the individual cells actually use; much of the FT3 in our body must be converted from FT4, so if you aren't converting properly, you can still be hypo, with a high FT4.

Some symptoms can "cross over" and apply to both hyper and hypo.  I had heart palps when I was very hypo and sometimes, now, get hot flashes, but I'm not hyper.  

If you haven't had an FT3 test, you really need to try to get one, though many doctors balk about ordering it, because they "assume" that we all convert adequately, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I have some thing related to this .

My TSH level was 0.05 three weeks  back i.e. end of first trimester of my pregnancy .

after that I did TSH test again and found that the value has shot up to level 9.3 but  FT3 is 2.4 and FT3 is 1.06.
so in a way my FT3 and FT4 are normal but the TSH value is above the range.Currently  I am 20 weeks pregnant.

Please help me to understand my case. What should I do now ? Is something needed to aware of?

What are the reference ranges for your FT3 and FT4?  Ranges vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report.  If your ranges are similar to what we often see, both your FT3 and FT4 are way too low.  Hormone levels often have to be adjusted upward, when one is pregnant, to make sure there's adequate hormones, for both you and baby.

You should talk to your doctor about increasing your medication, as thyroid hormones are essential to the proper growth and development of a fetus.

What medication are you currently on?  What dosage?
im 28 years old and i was diagnosed last April 2012 that i have hypothyroidism,i take the medicine "euthyrox" 100mg a day after 2 months i did my TSH test the result was 0.04 then i did again after 2 months the result was 0.02,my doctor told me to reduced my medicine into 50 mg-100mg alternate day.
my boyfriend had some blood work done last month. his thyroid results were as follows... free t4   1.17ng/dl  with a range of 0.9-1.7      t3 (total)   140.2ng/dl   with a range of 80-200      tsh  6.91uU/ml with a range of  0.27-4.2    he has depression issues anxiety issues the weight  dry skin fatigue and elivated cholesterol  results of   cholesterol  260mg/dl  with a range of 0-200  triglycerides  399mg/dl  with a range of 0-150  HDL 35mg/dl   LDL (calculated) 145mg/dl  and LDL/HDL ratio of 415 mg/dl with a range of  0-3.05  but hes also had some hypertyhroidism symptoms too such as... appitite change (decrease) Heart palpitations Heat intolerance irritability. these are just some of the things i can think of and know as symptoms. what would you suggest? please help. thanks
If you're only getting TSH tested, your testing/treatment is totally inadequate. You need the FT3 and FT4 tests every time you get blood work.  
This is such an old, long thread, it would be much better if you start a new one, listing the blood test results, reference ranges, symptoms, etc.  Your post would get much more attention from other members, who might be able to add comments, suggestions.  

You can start a new thread by clicking on the orange "Post a Question" button, type your question, then click the green "Post a Comment" button.  

That said, some symptoms can "cross over" between hypo and hyper.  Sounds like your boyfriend might benefit from a trial dose of thyroid replacement hormone.  High cholesterol is a classic symptom of hypothyroidism.

One thing to note, is that Total T3 is considered obsolete and of little value.  Your boyfriend needs to insist on Free T3 each time he tests, instead of Total T3.

thank you :)
I wanted to find out what is the best thing to do for my Thyroid. I dont have health insurance so i was just taking my same prescribed Levoxthyroid of 0.100(brown colored pill). I then ran out of my prescription for 3-4 weeks and stopped taking the pill.
I went to the doctor and got tested for A1C and thought i would also get the TSH test done. Here are my results
TSH 24.79 (0.45 - 4.50) range
Thyroxine T4 5.9 (4.5-12.0)
T3 Uptake 27 (24-39)
Free Thyroxine Index 1.6 (1.2-4.9)
WBC 4.3 (4.0-10.5)
RBC 4.91 (4.14-5.80)

Do you think i should continue the 0.100 or should i go higher?
Do you think i should get some of these more tests done first?
You obviously need your thyroid meds.  Your TSH is very high, and more importantly, T4 is very low in the range.  Most people have to be about the middle of the range before they feel well.

The tests your doctor ordered, total T4, T3 uptake and FTI are all considered obsolete tests and of iimited use.  Next time, ask him for FREE T3 and FREE T4 instead.  

If you've been off your meds for 3-4 weeks, you might actually want to start out a little lower than 100 mcg for a week or two, then increase as tolerated.  Ask you doctor is you can take 50 for a couple of weeks, 75 for a couple more, then 100.  Some of us get hyper symptoms when we start out too high or with big increases.

I think you should start back on meds as soon as you can.  How did you feel when you were on 100 mcg?  If you felt well, I'd go back to that dose (after starting lower as I suggested above), then retest 4-6 weeks after starting 100 mcg.  That's really the only way to know if 100 mcg is the proper dose.  
I've been having trouble with sleep (all started with my first pregnancy 4 1/2 years ago).  I have two young boys now & the sleep loss accumulation is really starting to interfere with everything everyday.  I'm determined to get to the bottom of it all & get back to my normal sleep patterns without having to take meds for it.  

About 3 months ago, I experienced what I felt was a spiritual/religious awakening in the middle of the night (felt light as air when a "spirit" would enter me & extremely heavy when it would leave...many more feelings on top of this).  It was scary & prompted us to take immediate action.  The first doctor said I might have had an anxiety/panic attack.  My husband felt that we needed to get me sleeping better right away & I started taking Lunesta 2mg (sleep aide) & Clonazepam 0.5mg (anti-anxiety).  They helped me sleep, but I still feel the symptoms of that night.  I awaken with those feelings of numbness & tingling in my hands & feet, cool air at my face & fast pulse suddenly at night about every 1-2 weeks since that night.

I just had some blood work done to find out what is going on inside at the request of a neurologist.  The only high readings were for the TSH which was 9.340 uIU/mL (range was 0.450-4.500, also did a Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S & range was 0.82-1.77 with my result as 1.06 ng/dL) & Vitamin B12 which was 1338 pg/mL (range was 211-946).  Do you have any ideas as to what is going on?!  I'm a bit confused after reading all of these posts & would appreciate any ideas you may have.  Thank you!
Just got bloodwork back and my TSH is extremely high at 24.46, and T4 Free is "normal" at 1.13...my current dose of Levoxyl is 112mcg, I feel super sluggish, muscle crampy, very poor digestion, the list goes on. Any advice I could gain would be great before I go to see my endo, so that I can have some concrete questions for him. This thyroid thing is feeling a bit all over the place with hard to pinpoint answers. I just want to feel GOOD.
This is a very old thread; you'd get more attention if you start a new thread of your own.  

Your TSH of 24.46 is higher than normal, indicating that you need an increase in your medication.  In addition to TSH and Free T4, your doctor should also be testing Free T3, which is the active hormone used by the individual cells.  It's very possible that you aren't converting the Free T4, which is a storage hormone, to the usable Free T3.......
Back in 2008 I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid (super hight T cells symptoms extreem heat,tremble, fast heart and tiered when walking/climbing stairs short distance, slight blurred vision) was put on thyroid meds and betta blocker in 6mths everything disapeared. As of Oct. 2012 I've had reacurrence episodes on certain days particularly before and after my period (extreem heat, blurred vision, tremble,fast heart, dry skin, brital hair, extreem body aches, muscle spasms)  per blood work my T3 T4 TSH are normal but antibodies are 165. (normal is max 6.) I was put on small daily dosage of steroids and contraceptives. This has diminished the frequency but not taken it away. Last month May was the only month I didn't get it. Not sure if its relative that I had Uterine mioma surgery last month. This month extreem body ache and slight heat symptoms have slowly arrised again and new blood work is exactly the same.

Has this happened to anyone else? What has your Dr said and done?
Any Dr's that can better explain what's going on?

There are no doctors on this forum; we're all fellow patients, trying to help others through what we've been through.

Could you please post your "normal" T3 and T4, and verify that they are Free, not Total.  Also please let us know which antibodies were at 165.  There are 3 different thyroid antibodies and positive results of each, could mean different things.

Have you been diagnosed with Graves Disease?  If so, on what basis?

It's possible that your symptoms result from the uterine myoma/fibroids rather than from thyroid.  Have you had reproductive hormone levels tested?  Are you at an age where peri-menopause or menopause is likely?  I had a lot of those symptoms, just before I had my hysterectomy, in 1996, then I had them again in 2007-8 when I was very hypo.

"Estrogen and progesterone, two hormones that stimulate development of the uterine lining during each menstrual cycle in preparation for pregnancy, appear to promote the growth of fibroids. Fibroids contain more estrogen and progesterone receptors than do normal uterine muscle cells."

Since you've attached to a very old thread, here, it might be better if you start a new one of your own, so your situation gets the attention it deserves.  You can start a new thread by clicking on the orange "Post a Question", type your comments, then click on "Post a Comment".  You can do that from this page or you can access the home page of the forum via the following link:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73

Just looking for input on my labs and symptoms.  What are your thoughts?

Symptoms:  Tired all the time, Can't concentrate, forgetful, always cold, cold sweats, brittle nails, thinning of hair at temples, dry hair, not sleeping well, puffy and a little dark under eyes, whiskers on chin,  anxiety, depression, aching legs at night at times, dizzy/lightheaded, low libido , out of breath at times, no energy, and new to list tinnitus and light stabbing feelings around heart.

TSH 5.20 (0.45-5.10)
FT3 2.7 (2.3-4.2)
FT4 1.1 (0.7-1.5)
Thyroglobulin Autoantibody <0.9 (0.0-4.0)
Thyroid Peroxidase Auto AB 0.3 (0.0-9.0)

The test below is looking at possible diabetes.  I am wondering if thyroid would mess this your sugar too.
Glucose was also high 123 (65-99)  
AC1 5.4 (4.0-5.6)
You've attached to a very old thread, here, it might be better if you start a new one of your own, so your situation gets the attention it deserves.  You can start a new thread by clicking on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page, type your comments, then click on "Post a Comment" button.  You can do that from this page or you can access the home page of the forum via the following link:

That said, both your labs and symptoms indicate hypothyroidism.  Has your doctor started you on thyroid replacement hormones, yet?

Forgot to mention that your blood glucose indicates "pre"-diabetes, but since your A1c is not high, you haven't had a blood sugar issue for very long.  

Normal is 65-99, 100-125 indicates "pre-diabetes"; over 125 indicates diabetes.

You should try to maintain a low glycemic diet, in order to avoid raising blood sugar levels. That would include high protein and lots of veggies; no junk food, such as french fries, chips, candies, pastries, etc and other things made from white sugar and/or flour.  Also limit white potatoes.  Opt for lower sugar, higher fiber fruits such as apples, pears, berries.  Opt for whole fruit vs juices.

Low thyroid hormones doesn't cause the blood sugar issues, but they often go hand in hand.
Thank you Barb.  I reposted here http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/High-TSH-normal-FT3--FT4-Looking-for-your-thoughts-on-my-Labs/show/1966166  and added a little info.

And no I am not on any meds.  they want me to come back and retest in Aug.
I have TSH of 5.75 when normal range is 0.45 - 4.5 uIU/ml. My free T4 is 1.18 with range of 0.82-1.77 ng/dl. Thyroid peroxidase is 10 with range of 0-34 IU/mL. Vit-D is 18.7 range of 30-100 ng/ml.  I am planning to get pregnant now so my doctor advised me medication for thyroid. Is it really needed or I might be causing more harm. Wat are the side effects of taking the medication when it might not be really needed.
You need also, to have a Free T3 tests.  FT3 is the hormone that's actually used by the individual cells.

Adequate thyroid hormones are critical for the growth and development of a fetus. Your FT4 is too low in the range, your TSH is too high (accepted range is actually 0.3-3.0 rather than the one used by your lab); this indicates that your FT3 is probably too low, as well.  

In my opinion, you should follow your doctor's advice.
Recently I have had blood report for Thyroid. Can you please suggest what is results. Currently I'm experiencing some symptoms of Hypo like sleeping disturbance, anxiety, frequent bowl etc.

T3  93   (60 - 200)

T4  8.3  ( 4.5 - 12.0)

TSH  6.50 (0.30 - 5.5)

FT3   3.19 (1.7 - 4.2)

FT4  1.16 (0.70 - 1.80)

ANTIBODY  7 IU/mL (Negative : <34)

Can any one please analyses the results.
This is a very old thread.  It would be best if you went to the top of the page, clicked the orange "Post a Question" button and started your own new thread.  You can just copy and paste the above information into the new thread.  If you do that, we'll be better able to address your individual concerns.  When you do, please list all your symptoms.
Thanks for info.
Im similar to your readings and my doc wanted me to start on synthoid. I have decided to investigate further before starting any medicines. My TSH was 6.579 and my T4 free dir is 0.96