Thyroid Disorders Community
high initial TSH then "normal thyroid profile"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am a 47 yr old  female, went to Dr. with high heart rate and palpitations and several episodes of panic attacks. Heart in great shape and blood tests CBC, Chem 7 all normal.  She suspected a thyroid problem and performed a TSH which came back 7.5. I then had a thryoid profile test done  which came back "normal" . Why would the first TSH show a high TSH and then two days later TSH come back in normal range? Should I get tested somewhere else?
T4Free 1.15
T3 119.4
TSH 2.43
Two of my sisters diagnosed with Hashimoto and my mom has hypo, Dad had Graves. I appreciate any insight.
Tags: initial TSH high normal
TSH is both very volatile and a very poor indicator of thyroid status.  It can vary as much as 70% just depending on the time of day the blood was drawn.  It's at best a screening test in the absence of symptoms.

Do you have the ranges on your FT4 and TT3?  Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.

Any other symptoms?  Fatigue?  Weight gain?  Depression?  Etc?
Ranges are:
T4Free-.6-1.7 NG/DL
T3- 60-181 NG/DL
TSH,BLD,QN
Other symptoms are weight loss, intestinal discomfort, bloating but not fatigue or depression.
Thanks the TSH information is very helpful.
Your FT4 is "perfect".  You don't get much more "midrange" than you are.  TT3 is a little on the low side, although given that you are not on meds, it doesn't bother "me" a bit.  TT3 is considered an obsolete test.  It's been replaced by FREE T3 (FT3), which tells the amount of T3 in the blood actually available to cells.  Next time around, you should request that instead.

Since you have autoimmune thyroid disease in your family history, it might be a good idea to have antibody testing to see if you might be in the early stages of either Hashi's or Graves'.  These are simple, relatively inexpensive blood tests.  TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin) is the definitive test for Graves, and TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibody) and TGab (thyroglobulin antibody) are the markers for Hashi's.  Antibodies can be present for years before labs go out of range and/or symptoms appear.  
Thank you, this information is extremely helpful! I am scheduled to see my doctor again on Monday and will ask for the TSI, TPOab and TGab. Thanks again for your prompt, helpful and educational response!