Thyroid Disorders Community
high serum copper levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

high serum copper levels

I have had some on going health problems for many months now.  I have had many strange things come up in lab work, on MRI's, etc.  Recently It was discovered that serum copper levels are very high. 250,normal is 70-150. could this have anything to do with my thyroid?  My TSH was checked in Feb. (2.75-normal),and an ultrasound of my thyroid revealed a small nodule on the left lobe.  My father is currently battling thyroid cancer. Unfortunately for him, doctors ignored his symptoms for 7 years, so his cancer is pretty advanced. Does anyone know if the copper might have something to do with the thyroid?  Should I see an endocrinologist?  Any thoghts would be appreciated! Thanks!
May be the strange symptoms are related to high copper (Cu). Did you test for plasma copper-protein ceruloplasmin ??? Do you have hepatic symptoms? How are your transaminases levels (hepatic enzyme)? You can have CNS illness as a symptom of high Cu.  I don't think is tyroid related.  
My ceruloplasmin  levels were normal, I do not have any hepatic symptoms, however I went to an infectious disease doc last week and he diagnosed me with Lyme disease (positive in serum &csf fluid).  Could Lyme raise copper levels?  I was misdiagnosed for so long I just want to make sure that nothing else is going on.    Thanks!
May be you must repeat your analyses like copper in a 24 hour urine. Avoid eating foods rich in Cu like soy, shellfish, chocolate, liver, mushrooms and nuts. Are you vegetarian? Lyme vegetarian patients trying to heal from Lyme often eat soy products to boost their protein intake so they are in more risk getting too much copper in their diet.
I am not a vegetarian, nor do I eat soy, liver, or any seafood for that matter.(Occasionally eat  mushrooms, nuts, and chocolate, but nothing I would consider extreme).  I will bring up the 24 hour urine test to my doc when I see him on Tues.   Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate it.  

Just thought I would mention this- this is my second copper test. First one was done about 6 wks ago, and the level was 211, so the levels have increased recently,(currently 250- norm70-150).  Thanks!
And repeat your liver enzymes, you know that high concentrations of copper can do lot of damage, and if not a genetic problem  high concentrations of Cu are seen in primary biliary cirrhosis and other cholestatic syndromes. So be sure these are all tested.  
Thanks again for your suggestions.  Do you think it is possible to have a liver problem without any primary symptoms?  I am going to address these issues with the doctor when I see him.
At this moment you just need to know why your copper is high (or becoming high), because high ionic copper can damage tissue (if Cu is not bound to a specific copper - protein it becomes toxic). Why your doctor tested copper??? (is not a routine analyse), I think your high copper is not so high , if you had liver problems (consequence of high Cu) your would have a persistent transaminasemia. My question is: why your doctor tested for copper if you don't have symptoms, usually is the opposite way (ask him). I think the copper in the 24 hour urine will say if you have excess or not.
My neurologist ran the serum copper test looking for a copper deficiency (this was before the Lyme diagnosis.)  My neurological exam is highly suggestive of myelopathy. (Hyper reflexes, Babinski sign is present, positive Rhomberg,and clonus at the ankles.) So the the copper being high was an unexpected finding.  I really appreciate all your responses!
So that makes sence...; In some patients first illness is of CNS. So You're in good hands, he will know how significant are this values. Good luck.