Thyroid Disorders Community
high tsh level-explain please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

high tsh level-explain please

previous to menopause thyroid levels normal range-now age 60 the tsh is 40.82,was discovered with a blood test-i don't have any of thyroid symptoms they list,except for being cold.Lipid profile is normal and glucose also.I went on 25mcg one day and next day 50mcg since may 2007.while on meds,was dizzy and nausas in morning and face broke out-bowels were also different--I stopped taking meds now for about 1month,i feel much more like myself, I no longer have medical insurance so i could use some insight here.By the way the other two readings are normal range--t4 and t3   thanks for your help  jjlupine
Not taking meds., thyroid  hormone that your body needs to function and function properly, can cause your thyroid to get worse and you to become sick/er.  Which will make it harder and take longer to heal once you do go back to treatment.

You might have been allergic to the meds. in which case,  there are plenty of brands to try that do not creat problems.

Below are or could be, the consequences.

Myxedema coma - life-threatening complication of untreated hypothyroidism.
Death!
Heart - Thyroid hormone is very important for normal cardiovascular function, so when not enough thyroid hormone is present neither the heart nor the blood vessels function normally. In hypothyroidism the heart muscle is weakened in both its contraction phase, and also its relaxation phase. This means that the heart cannot pump as vigorously as it should, and the amount of blood it ejects with each heart beat is reduced. In addition, because the heart muscle does not relax normally in between heart beats, a potentially serious condition called diastolic dysfunction may result.  Furthermore, hypothyroidism reduces the amount of nitric oxide in the lining of the blood vessels, causing them to stiffen.
Cholesterol and Lipid Levels -  Hypothyroidism is significantly associated with unhealthy lipid levels.
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension). Hypothyroidism - may slow the heart rate to less than 60 beats per minute, reduce the heart’s pumping capacity, and increase the stiffness of blood vessel walls.
Homocysteine - Studies are also finding that hypothyroidism is associated with elevated levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that is increasingly becoming a major suspect in heart diseases.
Iron deficiency anemia.
Respiratory problems.
Osteoarthritis.
Diabetes
Glaucoma. Some research has associated hypothyroidism with an increased risk for glaucoma.
Headache. Hypothyroidism may also worsen headaches in people predisposed to them.
Depression. Depression is common in hypothyroidism and can be severe
Mental and Behavioral Impairment. Untreated hypothyroidism can, over time, cause mental and behavioral impairment and, eventually, even dementia.
Goiter - may cause the thyroid gland to become enlarged and form a goiter (termed a "compensatory goiter")
Hypothyroidism is also commonly associated with iron deficiency anemia and respiratory problems. Some research has associated hypothyroidism with an increased risk for glaucoma. Hypothyroidism may also worsen headaches in people predisposed to them.

Then see how it would be without insurance.

Please take your meds.  There are programs that can help  afford, if not free, with prescriptions.
As you can see the consequences of being hypo are VERY serious!  If the meds are a problem Wal-Mart has thyroid meds now for $4/month.  If you cannot afford that call the company that makes them and a lot of times they will give them to you for free.
could something  else be causing this high tsh to be out of wack--blood pressure has always been normal range-usually110/70----ldl hdl 2.8 -range 2.5 to 7.6--sugar 88,range 70-105.I' don't know about iron deficiency --not fatigued,not depressed,i do have headaches and feel cold,that's about it.i'm going for another blood test,should i check anything else---any ideas==thanks again for your input and help--jjlupine  p.s.i've taken the med levothyroxin (levothyroxine),never tried anything else.
As far as thyroid, see if they will do FT-4 and  FT-3 with  TSH.

All the above look pretty good.

Are you on any other medications - if you are don't forget to tell doctor.

If TSH is still with next test, try another brand of t4 supplement and see if you do better. You might have had a reaction from the ingredients in the brand of medication. Not all brands have the same ingredients.

Before I was diagnosed with hyper/graves' I didn't have that many symptoms either, in fact the symptoms were good symptoms as far as I was concered.

Good luck with your test.