Thyroid Disorders Community
hives-like rash with hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hives-like rash with hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 10 years ago.  At the time of diagnosis, I had a red rash all over my legs and torso.  In time that went away, but over the course of years I've developed a skin condition similar to hives.  They appear nearly anywhere, but rarely on my face or scalp.  Have any of you ever experienced anything like this?  Do you think it is associated with my thyroid?  Over the years I've changed laundry detergents, soaps, etc...I use every hypoallergenic product I can find.

Any ideas?
I have indeed experienced this, about the time my Doctor's think my thyroid problems began I developed very sensitive skin.  I get ichy spots, like hives on my legs, for no reason.  Some things make it worse, some lotions, detergents and fake tanners.  I still think my sensitive skin is linked to my thyroid, I'm just not sure how.
I started getting hives (believe me they were awful, they would come and go but they were everyday without warning)  about 7 years ago and was sent to an allergist who tested me for everything and the only thing that was positive was thyroid peroxidase antibodies, and they were very high.  I have taken a prescription antihistamine for this for years (I also have seasonal allergies).  The allergist told me that I more than likely had thyroiditis but my primary care tested me once a year for thyroid problems and the results were always high antibodies and everything else was in normal ranges.  My TSH was always below 2.0, within a years time it soared to almost 10 and I an now on meds.  If not for my hives, my thyroid problem would never have been tested.  I believe I was always a bit on the hyper side but for sure am on the hypo side now.  Hope this helps you.  
Wow!  I am glad to hear that I am not going crazy.About 2 1/2 months ago, my legs started itching horribly, and when I scratched I got little bumps all over.  As soon as my legs stopped itching, it started somewhere else.  This went on for weeks.  I went to the Dr. who then told me to take Claritin.  Since then everything has gone down hill.  I started having issues with my blood sugar, almost passing out several times.  Extreme fatigue set in, I was getting dizzy all the time, and my whole body just hurt.  I have just began itching again this weekend and it is driving me crazy.  I am getting blood tests back from dr. tomorrow.  But it looks to me like itching is all part of this, right??
I experience some hives and itching - but I notice it mostly after walking.  (I'm trying to walk for exercise)  As soon as I am finished walking almost instantly the itching begins.  I walk indoors in clean clothes and clean environment so it's not anything that bites.  However, when I scratch (usually my legs and abdomen) I will break out in hives that look like mosquito bites.  They stay raised for just few minutes and disappear.

My thoughts was my dry skin from being Hypothyroid.  

The fake tanners cause me to itch and break out in the same hives also. Most of those tanners have a chemical which causes the skin to dry and slough.  Because the chemical reacts with DEAD skin cells to cause the "tan" we see, it dries the skin out which causes the reaction with the chemical and then "voila" - we have a tan.  

That's why I think the hives - no matter if you are using a tanner or not - is caused by dry skin - hypo.

BQ >i<
I have just began the same itching/hive thing.  My doctor prescribed a steroid lotion to use, but the hives move from one area to another.  They start as itchy skin and as I scratch them, they turn into a raised rash.  I have Hashimoto's.  I went from .001 2 months ago to 4.6 last month.  I'm waiting my new results that I had drawn yesterday.  Maybe there is a definite connection between hypothyroid and rashes.  I also just got over thyroiditis.

Blessings,
Nikki
I am 46 years old & was diagnosed w/ a goiter at 5 years old. I took medication for this through out my childhood & stopped at around 14 when my mom decided I didn't need it any more. I never really had any problems with this except during childbearing years during my pregnancies. I've had thyroid level checked periodically over the years & always checked out O.K.  however I have always been on the hyper side, never gained weight too easily, always have had problems & always have had kind of bad nerves. Lately (about 2 weeks ago ) I started breaking out with something that seemed like bug bites. It spread & got worse every day so I went to Dr. She said I was having a severe allergic reaction to something and prescribed Prednisone. About 3 days later it changed into blister like hives and went beyond itching to pain, I went to E.R. the Dr. there said I had Scabies (neither Dr. did any skin scraping or blood work)& he prescribed a peretherin cream to use twice. Well needless to say I am still breaking out & came across this site on the internet & was wondering could this thyroid problem be what is wrong with me? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, What should I tell the Dr. or ask for cthem to check? Is there any thing else I need to know or check into?
I too am hypothyroid; if my TSH level gets above 2, I have extremely itchy lower legs, much worse at night, and intermittently on my lower back, buttocks, and inner thighs.  No visible sign of anything wrong, though of course it turns red and rashy if I start scratching.

If it hadn't been for unbearable itchiness I never would have asked for a hypothyroid test (even though I have every other symptom in the book, they all seemed like they could be due to a million other causes). I have never had a doctor take me seriously that hypothyroidism and itchiness might be related, indeed I've had three general practitioners and my allergist all frown and say, "well I've never heard of that", as if that means it can't be true! This is so frustrating, because when I got my TSH was below 2, I was symptom free for 1.5 years!

Now I'm 10 weeks pregnant and my symptoms have come back with avengeance. My TSH test at 8 weeks was still ok, and my doctor is refusing to let me get retested now that my symptoms have flared. I'm going to have to fight hard to get another TSH test approved, but I have no ideas of what else could possibly cause this problem. I have no food allergies, and haven't changed detergents or soaps since I went from feeling good to feeling like I have severe poison ivy, only at night, in the old familiar places..... I'm glad to have found this forum, good luck to all of you!
Increased my thyroid dosage from 75mcg (5 days) / 50 mcg (2 days) to 100mcg (3 days)/75mcg 4 days. This happened roughly 3 weeks ago and have started to notice hives for the last two days. They are happening twice a day: morning/evening. They last for about 40mins and go away after I take Benadryl. Went to see the Dr. and saw the Nurse Pract. instead. I told her I am a very active person/runner and keep my diet and other things in life on a routine and feel it could be due to the increased dosage of SYnthroid. She did not believe me. I am now sure that it is because of Synthroid. I have been on it for over 4 years and was fine with the old dosage till 4 weeks ago my blood work revealed that my TSH level was around 3.8 (usually around 2 - 2.5 with the earlier dosage of Synthoid). Your comments here are helpful. Thanks.
I have been taking Synthroid for 32 years.  In 1996 I started breaking out in hives on my hips, and went on Claritin, which cleared the hives.  In 2003 the hives became chronic, aka uncontrollable, and my allergist tested me for all kinds of allergies.  Nothing tested positive.  So I started a regime of antihistamines and ended up taking 7 different ones to control the hives.  About 2 weeks ago I tried a new levothyroxine sodium drug called Tirosint.  My hives went away and I got off the antihistamines.  After a week, the hives returned and now I am not taking any thyroid hormone.  The hives are still present after one day, but I expect they will go away when the thyroid hormone leaves my body.  So I think that there is no doubt that Synthroid can cause hives for some people, and for me it's got to be the levothyroxine sodium because it's in both of those drugs. I've just ordered iodine/iodide supplements in hopes that I can keep my TSH level at a rate that will allow me to lead a normal life.  Good luck, I know how you feel.  Unfortunately, I don't think the doctors really know what to do about his problem.  I think the homeopathic route is the only safe one for us.
I wrote about my condition on 9.26.10, so please read my previous post.  Today is 10.2.10 and there have been new developments.  On 9.25.10 I discontinued using Tirosint and have been taking no thyroid medication.  I had always suspected that the thyroid med was the cause of the hives, however today I tried something new.  Since d/c'ing the Tirosint 175mg, my hives have worsened daily.  Last night was the last straw.  This morning I took my antihistamines (Allegra 180mg, Singulaire 10mg, Ranitidine 150 mg, Atarax 50mg), waited one hour and took my Tirosint.  This past week the antihistamines haven't even touched my hives, they've just been spreading and getting worse all week.  Within 2 hours, the itching stopped and it appears the hives are going away.  The mistake I made previously when I started Tirosint was d/c'ing all my antihistamines.  I'm staying on them this time (at night I take Allegra 180mg, Atarax 50mg, Doxepin 20mg, Xyzal 5mg, Ranitidine 150mg.)  Yes, that is a ton of antihistamines, but my allergist discovered that if I take a antihistamine cocktail every day, I stop breaking out.  I will post the progress I make this week in solving this mystery that has been going on for 7 years.  I definitely cannot live without taking thyroid, as I have always been hypothyroid and have never experienced Hashimoto symptoms previously.  Stay tuned.......
I am 20 years old and over the past few years I've had many medical problems that lead me to believe it is caused by hypopituitarism. My symptoms include:

1. When I was 17 years old I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. I was missing patches of hair for about a year and a half & then my hair began to grow back again. (Currently, I am not missing any hair.)

2. Again, since I was about 17 I have had extreme pain in my knees. I went to a specialist, got an MRI, & they told me nothing was wrong.

3. I've also had many skin problems since I was about 17. Every so often I get rashes that last for weeks. Or sometimes I get hives that last a few hours and then go away. Right now, I have a rash on the side of my foot & it is the worst rash I've ever had. I've had it for about 3months now. The rash almost looks like a patch of blisters. & It keeps spreading up my foot. I went to the doctor & they simply told me it was an allergic reaction to something and told me to use hydrocortisone cream, which is not working. The rash usually only itches at night.

4. I started menstruating when I was 16/17 years old. My cycle has never been regular. It is sometimes a month late or early. Or some months it will not come at all. So I went to my OBGYN and got it checked out. They told me that I was not ovulating because I had a hormone imbalance. My FSH level was extremely higher than my LH level.

I really think that all of my medical problems are linked. What do you guys think??? I would really appreciate any opinions or comments.

Thanks.
Hello,  I am also having similar itchy rash on my legs with no particular cause and have been searching online all day.  What you are describing are all the symptoms of silent celiac disease that i just read on a different website.  I think i am going to get tested for this myself.  Just thought i would share.
Hello All,
I too have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, just this past Feb. 2011.  I have been on .025 mcg Levothoroxine.  Just recently my dr. uped my prescription to .50 mcg.  Shortly after, I could feel a change in the texture of my skin and then found a small looking rash on my torso.  Then it slowly covered my whole body in the matter of a month and a half.  My dr. thought that I was having a allergic reaction to laundry soap.  It turned out to me that I am allergic to a dye that they put in the diffent dosage.  So as of two days ago, I have all together changed meds to Synthroid and now taking two pills that are .025 mcg a day, which we will avoid the dye in the other pill.  My skins seems to be feeling better.  I will post more later to let you know if if cleared up the problem.

Did Hashimoto cause your rash?
I am so relieved to find this blog!  I too have experienced these symptoms off and on for years... and no one has been able to indentify the problem.  I have been told I had a spider bite, scabies (which I did have when I was about 12, and this is NOTHING like them!!! Believe it or not, it is worse!), but it has never been associated with my thyroid until today!

It is only on my right ankle and right shin...  Went to the dermatologist today and the first thing she asked me was if I had my thyroid checked recently!  OMGoodness... if this is a result of that, I may hollar really loud for joy!  Just finally knowing what it is will be such a relief, then we can treat and get on with life!  This is awful!!
GET YOUR LIVER TESTED - by the way, your liver converts t4 to t3 so if it's not working your thryoid is not going to be working correctly either. Liver issues also cause ITCHING and rashes...
   Well i have hyperthyroids and i get itchy skin and break out into hives.    They welt and turn red after i sratch.   So i don't think hives is just a hypo problem.
I have been on synthroid for 15 years for hypothyroidism...  in the last three months i have developed a huge rash mostly in the upper leg area on both sides it burns like crazy especially at night ,,,it seems to take forever to see a specialist so i am on my own --has this happen to anybody else and any thoughts on it Help!!
I have the same symptoms and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last year. Ever since starting levothyroxine my hives only come back occasionally, but I think it is different for every person.

My very unscientific understanding is that Hashimoto's, as an autoimmune disorder, causes your immune system to attack your thyroid gland. This means your immune system is constantly active/overactive, which can cause your body to react as though you are fighting an allergen, thus the hives (or in some cases swelling).

I've seen and heard many people with Hashimoto's report hives or facial swelling as their first sign that something was wrong. My brother has Hashiomoto's, too (it's genetic), and that was his first sign something was up, as it was in my case, too.

Some of our members have reported that taking selenium, in moderation, has helped dampen the Hashi's antibodies' effects.  Also I recommend that if not previously tested for Free T3, and Free T4, that would be a good idea.  FT3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have also shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH did not correlate.  

Many of our members report that hypo symptom relief for them required that FT3 was adjusted into the upper part of its range and FT4 adjusted to around the midpoint of its range.  It is frequently very difficult to achieve these levels when only taking T4 meds, due to inadequate conversion of T4 to T3.  
Have been going nuts with this issues for about five years now.  The rash started on my arms the first year.  Skin becomes warmer, then itching, with bumps under skin, after scratching welts appear.  Rash is always on top of a bone.  Tends to like one side of body over the other.  IE first year, top half both arms.  Second year right side one arm one leg.  Third year both legs.  Has crossed over when gotten extremely bad.  Last three to four months.  Intermitten itching.  Was having fatigue problems and heavy periods about same time, but never associated it.  Had an ablassion (sp) surgery for the heavy bleeding in December.  Rash came out few weeks later, doctor ran some blood tests looking for autoimmune problems (daughter has lupis and RA) and found theroid production low.  Endocrinologist did ultrasound and found over activity in thyroid.  Now appears everything is related.  Cant seem to get anyone to treat.  
i too have had a rash dr. thought scabies, PUPPP rash (seeing it happened after having my son), we are testing for lupus and ra, and thyroid. my thyroid has always come back fine are there any suggestions on what tests to run and has anyone noticed it getting worse after a menstural cycle?
Be sure to request, and insist on, tests for the thyroid antibodies, TPO ab and TG ab, along with Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4), and TSH.
I believe that this is related to hypo. I have gone to about 2 on my tsh and I Have very itchy skin and if I scratch it turns to a rash or little bumps. I can't rake it, it really *****.  I am going she want happens if my tsh  is lower. I never experienced anything like this before.
About 10 days ago I developed the most itchy rash I ever had on my shin, hand,elbow and other random places.. the shin being the worst of it.  Doc says poison oak, but I have had that so many times and I know this is not what it is.  About 2 weeks ago my oncologist discovered i had a goiter.  My TSH is 49.  I started thyroid med, and currently awaiting new results after the introduction of thyroid med.  I am relieved to hear, but sorry for all of you, that I am not alone nor crazy.  Thanks for all the info everyone.  by the way I got some topical steroid cream to treat the rash, it does seem to be helping.
I think you should stop eating wheat. Sounds like gluten sensitivity to me. I stopped eating wheat and all of my body aches went away. Gluten can also cause the world's most itchy rash for some people... Best wishes sweetie! -K
PS Gluten also affects thyroid badly
I have been dealing with a raised rash and itching for almost 2 years now, since I started taking synthroid and the generic. I have been switched to one to the other to see if it improve. I as a nurse am here to tell you, my rash started on my hands, arms neck, and legs; very embarassing and when people ask what is wrong you just have to say I don't know...I have been to a dermatologist who finally dismissed me after almost a year and a half of topical steriods and oral steriods...they start to work and then they wear off. I also have seen an allergist who mentioned scabies...yeah right my family, patients, and my coworkers would all be affected if that were the case....I now have an appt to see an endocrinologist come Monday because my wonderful husband has been pressuring for the last few years to see one because he highly believes it is from the thyroid and/or other hormones. What I can tell you is I have always had dry skin and what I call nurses hands in the Winter time because my hands would crack open from dryness from handwashing over and over,,,BUT I have never had a rash until I started the thyroid medications. I have mentioned this to several differnent physicians but no answers have been found. I am only 31 years old, and have a 4 year old...I cannot and will not live off of steriods and antihistamines for life...I would much rather deal with the hypothryoidism side effects of depression, fatigue etc...Steriods are very damaging with long term use like thinning of the skin and weight gain along with numerous side effects. Antihistamines cause increase in blood pressure...soo umm I think not on these options...Don't get me wrong I use allegra for seasonal allergie but not all the time. ALso for this rash I have tried countless lotions, herbs, creams, ointments, changing detergents, everything you can think of...SO I think I am coming back to my original conclusion it is the thyroid meds causing this reaction, and I got news it takes over a week to get these meds out of our systems..I stopped mine for a week and I still had some itching/rash but it was improved, but i restarted due to hypothroid symptoms hit me. I am hoping that the endorinologist can help me with this problem...Also I have a feeling because of all this I can't get pregnant. I am not recommending stopping meds by any means, but I can't help but wonder why noone can figure out what is causing these reactions. I guess we keep searching until we find a phyisican who is willing to work with us and test to determine what it is exactly we are allergic to in the meds.
What are the brand names of the different thyroid meds you have tried?  I ask because most T4 meds use dyes/fillers in their manufacture.  Members have reported having reactions to some, and not others.  If that might be a possibility, there is a new T4 med called Tirosint that consists only of T4, glycerin, gelatin, and water. Unlike some tablet formulations, Tirosint is a liquid in a gel cap and is free of dyes, gluten, lactose, sugar, and alcohol.

Have you been diagnosed as having Hashimoto's Thyroiditis as the cause of your hypothyroidism?  I ask about that because we have had members report rashes they associated with thyroid antibodies from the Hashi's.  As mentioned above, some members have reported that taking selenium has helped "dampen" effects from the antibodies.  You can find other threads about this by searching the site for Hashi's and rashes.

It is also reported that getting your thyroid levels to optimal helps dampen levels of antibodies and thus would tend to help reduce their effects.  So, please tell us about any symptoms that you have indicating that you may still be somewhat hypothyroid.  Also, please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.
hi. I am 37 years old and have had hypothyroidism since i was 20.  Until now I cannot say thtat i have ever had problems with a rash as i have in the last several months.  I broke out by my left underarm and then it spread to my entire abdomen under the breasts. The doctor tried to treat me for a reaction to soap or maybe food, and then it got extremely worse even after some steroid medicines, and he said it was Scabies and prescribed a medicine which i discovered is basically a cancer causing pesticide and i was putting it all over me.  I still have it come and go but in the last two days i have had itchy bumps come up and my legs.  This is very frustrating to say the least.  I was just tested for the year for more medicine to be filled and i am still taking Levothyroxine 100mg once a day.  I just wish the doctors would at least give you more information on what to expect with this disease.
I am now 49, and was treated for Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2004, with chemo and radiation. As the cancer was in my lymph nodes in my neck, the radiation treatment damaged my thyroid - I have been on a steadily increasing dose of syntharoid or its generic ever since - currently on 125mcg.

On a recent trip to St Louis (we currently reside in Alaska) I noted the start of an itchy raised, red rash  - right over the thyroid gland - no where else. I put it down to the heat and Spring time pollen... St Louis just had record breaking heat for that time of year).

When we returned to AK the rash seemed to subside, but over the last two weeks it has returned - just as Spring has finally reached this latitude.

I am due for a dr appt to refill my prescription, so I am going to ask about the dye in the pills, and whether my T4/T3 ratio is good, and if seasonal allergies can have an affect - I have not had this issue before in this area - Have had heat rash - and this sure looks like that - but its too localized - the rash takes the exact form of the thyroid gland, I have also noticed that my skin is even more dry than usual, so I am thinking this may be a combination of things.

If anyone has any other ideas on why this is happening - I'll be visiting the Dr probably in a couple of weeks (it takes that long to get an appt for a repeat prescription.) Thanks.
Hi, I have Hashimotos -- diagnosed 12 years ago, and have managed it fine with Synthroid during all this time (does has varied between 50 -88mg). In December I think it was, I ran out and as I live overseas and Synthroid was unavailable, I was put on a different brand manufactured by "TEVA" in the UK. As far as I can see, only levythyroxine and lactose ingredients listed (pills are white). My levels were out of whack after going to new brand with my usual dosage, so it has been upped over the last few months.

Anyway, I developed itchy patches on the sides of my lower calfs in January, when scratched they come up in red patches. Very weird -- never had any type of allergy in my life. At one point the itch was all up the side of each calf, drove me a bit crazy, but now it is mainly localised on one leg, and I scratch it subconsciously. I haven't been to doc about it, but am convinced it's connected to the meds.

The doctor I saw most recently told me that switching brands can affect your levels, that even though its all levythyroxine, the efficacy is different so best to stick longterm with one brand.

Thank you for this forum -- I am quite convinced that this is a thryroid med/dosage related thing!!
Yes, switching brands sometimes benefits a hypo patient. In addition, with Hashi's, the antibodies attack the thyroid gland until they are eventually destroyed.  Along the way, your thyroid hormone production goes down, requiring increasing amounts of thyroid meds.  You should make sure that you are being tested regularly to determine the levels of your biologically active thyroid hormones, which are Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4).  Free T3 and Free T4 need to be adjusted as necessary to relieve hypo symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.

Regular testing is also important because a patient will frequently find that their body is not adequately converting the T4 med to T3, resulting in Free t3 levels that are too low to relieve hypo symptoms.  Many members, myself included, report that symptom relief for them required that Free t3 was adjusted into the upper third of its range and free T4 adjusted to around the middle of its range.

From the UK members we have had, I know it is not always easy to get tested for Free T3, and even harder to get treated clinicallly, instead of by TSH levels; however, it is very important to try and get your doctor to do both.  One of our UK members that was successful told us the following.

"What I have learned from my experience is that you have to go to the Dr's office and TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT and to go backed up with knowledge.  You have to tell them that you have done your reading and looked into your condition and care about the long-term treatment of your health and thyroid.  If you fight for what you want, you will eventually find someone that is happy to go along with your wishes.  But we all have to take charge of our own health, right?"

I have visited this thread a couple of times over the years - briefly, I have had underactive thyroid since a young teen. I have had hives since I was 18. To cut a very long story short, it seems that my hives return when something alters with my thyroid medication. I havent had hives for a couple of years - once or twice maybe and I control it with homeopathy - or so I thought. That isnt working right now - but for the first time in my life I have had to lower my thyroid medication as it was slightly overactive... and I got new tablets because I went to a different chemist - and now the hives are back. I have read this thread with a mix of emotion - I searched for a link between hives and thyroid because instinctively I feel they are linked - and I think the new tablets are the culprit so will be visiting the dr tomorrow (if I can get a blooming appointment!)

There are many scientific articles on the association of rash with hypothyroidism. Here is one of them. I suggest a Google search, even something simple like "rash and hypothyroidism". I've found pictures of 3 kinds of rash associated with hypothyroidism that I have myself.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/260834-hypothyroid-symptoms-itching/
Your rash could be associated with an allergy/intolerance to fillers/binders in the new pills you got.

I have these same symptoms. How are you now, 5 years later?
Please email me : katarina.h.***@**** if you have time.
hi i found out about 4 years ago that i had hypothyroid and i had never heard of it i was having very heavy periods and horrible skin out breaks so i went in to the doctor they tested me for lots of things and turned out  my level was a 235 she was surprised i was getting around as good as i was. I also gained 70 in a 3 month period. I was down right sick. While i was pregnant with my son (now 9 months old) i was put on 300mcg of levothyroxine and the whole time i was pregnant my skin was amazing it didnt itch there where no bumps or blisters but now i got bumped down to 200mcgs and everything is bad again this is a horrible fight and its hard to deal with.
Why did they reduce your dosage?   Was it based on TSH only?   If so that doesn't work.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that at best TSH is only an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, which are Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4).   When already taking thyroid meds TSH is almost useless to monitor thyroid status.

Before going any further, please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges.  Also, what hypo symptoms are you having?
I agree with Gimel. Typically once they put you on meds, they test only for TSH. Your body may not convert T4 to T3. I have hashimoto thyroid and had chronic hives for a year. They checked my other thyroid values and I didn't have enough T3. My body was not converting T4 to T3. They put me on compounded T4/T3 and my hives went away.
Thank you!    Now I know what is going on.  Just started Synthroid in January and was 6.4.  Then down to 2 but the last test showed it was too low so he cut my med by 1/3.    Now I have developed itchy hives on my scalp and on my legs and back.    Dr. here I come.
Hi. I have Graves and am currently going through insane itchy rashes that seem to be related to my hot flashes.  The Graves seems to make everything essentially on overdrive. Dr. Told me worst time for symptom flare ups is during puberty, pregnancy and menopause... What a roller coaster. Hang in there
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism two years ago and have been having awful itchy rashes with red bumps that come and go, it's very random.  The rash usually starts on my stomach right under my breasts and right now both legs, behind knees, right arm, hands and even back and thighs are all rash covered.  I have no idea what is causing this, I don't have it all the time and I always use the same soaps and lotions so I don't think it's that.  I've wondered if it's related to gluten or dairy but finding this forum makes me think its related to the 75 micrograms levothyroxine I'm taking. I've been to my dermatologist and my primary care physician about this rash in the past and they just told me it was probably an allergy or atopic dermatitis.  I don't know what to do about the rashes, I feel like my family and my doctors think I'm crazy for bringing it up all the time but it's painful, annoying and makes me self conscious which I'm usually not.  I just want the rashes to go away!  
What was the diagnosed cause for your being placed on thyroid med?  Do you have any other symptoms?  

Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.
I was  diagnosed  with hyperthyroid. So they thought they would kill it off and make me go into hypothyroid. I woke up this morning this hives from head to toe.  I have tried Claritin, singular, and Benadryl. Nothing is working. Any idea how to control it till my blood work comes back. They hurt and itch so bad. Driving me crazy!!! Any ideas anyone!!!!
I have had the hives for about 3 months now and going out of my wits trying to isolate what in my environment is causing them as they are very random in where and when they appear. I went through assumptions for bacterial infection, allergies, insect bite... The only common denominator kept being me! I noticed that when I get emotionally irritated they inflame. Yesterday was so bad, half my face was swollen in addition to the hives in more private areas so I had to go to the doctor. The first thing they recommended was thyroid test. I am waiting for the results but from what I read online last night, it is definitely a thyroid out of balance!

Just wanted to thank you for posting all this as it is a form of itch relief ;) finally knowing what is happening to me.

I am convinced that stress activated whatever thyroid deficiency I may have been carrier of, as the symptoms appearance coincided with a very stressful event in my life. In that line of thought I am a believer that if I caused this to myself from not being able to deal with the challenges of life in a healthy way, I could heal myself by learning how to address stress in a healthy way preventing my immune system from attacking my own organs...

I will be working in this directions but will also use the meds help in the meantime... I still need to know how bad I am out of balance... Can't wait for the results!

If anyone has had any success with natural supplements, please share!
I am sorry to hear that! I know how you feel... I also had an onset yesterday, and luckily I had iodine pills - took one last night and one this morning - 130mg each and a see a relief even though they are not all gone. (could be just placebo effect but I feet relief.) Allergy either topical or pills have not helped me at all.

I also found a list of items to eat or not eat and recommend this page: http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lisa-lynn/3-ways-boost-thyroid-function.
I am a vegetarian and have been eating insane amounts of almonds and almond milk, so this morning I am taking my chia seeds with Coconut milk... I am just like you - waiting for the results... Good luck!
And one more thing I did last night and doing it now is organic ginger root tea that might have helped me calm the symptoms more than the iodine pill!

I graded some some raw ginger root and boiled for 3-5 minutes, then strained it, and drink it as tea. It has helped me with many irritations in the past. I want to mention again that my emotional imbalance seems to add to the symptoms. When I get excited for good or bad, I get heart palpitation and hives.... So, stay calm....
I have had a problem with acute hives for over 3 years now, I went to my family doctor that sent me to dermatologist which sent me to endocrinologist which sent me to rheumatologist which sent me to the allergist.  I have under active thyroid which I have started taking Levothyroxine for and that has helped very little.  Every dr said they think I have a auto immune disorder that is attacking my thyroid and causing it to shut down so I am taking man made thyroid hormone but still have the hives 4-5 times a week.  I do not know what to do now, nothing helps the hives - I've tried everything listed in the above comments for hives and nothing relieves them.  
Sounds like you may have the primary cause for diagnosed hypothyroidism, which is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  With Hashi's the autoimmune system erroneously identifies the thyroid gland as being foreign to the body and produces antibodies to attack and eventually destroy the gland.  Along the way thyroid hormone production is diminished and requires gradually increasing amounts of thyroid medication to offset the loss of natural thyroid hormone.

Sometimes the antibodies can cause a rash which is frequently referred to as Hashi's Rash.  If you want to read more about it, just enter it in the search MedHelp area in top right hand corner of page.  

If you have already been teted for Free T3 and Free T4, please psot resuts and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.  If not tested then you should make sure to always get tested for  Free T3 and Free T4 (not Total T3 and Total T4) each time you go in for tests.  Free T3 is the most important because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have also shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate
criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

So fromm reading the link above, you can readily see that what you need is that good thyroid doctor that will treat clinically and raise your Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms.  In addition, we have had a number of reports from members that had some success at relieving hives by assuring they are getting the recommended daily allowance of selenium.  Selenium seems to dampen the effect of the antibodies.

One thing further is that hypo patients often find they are also too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin.  You should make sure to get those tested as well.

I went through hell with this rash to only find out the oils in your skin are greatly reduced after thyroid removal--I suffered 6 years b4 somebody could tell me this your cure is simple lotion and lots of it put it everywhere this will stop any future outbreaks but you have to use right away in the places where you get the rash 1st then all over as well.
Extreme itching prior to my period!

I have been on thyroid medication for 90 days and am suffering from rashes, hives right before my period.  In addition, I am experiencing severe heartburn and swelling itching of feet.

Going to start to consult my doctor to find other options as I can not function with these severe symptoms.
I am hypo and just got a strange rash on my chest.  I used Calamine lotion and tea tree oil (not at the same time).  It started to improve, but now I am getting hives on my left leg.  Just my leg. I have been on synthroid since October 2013.  If I was allergic to the medication, why would it happen now?  Just wondering.
I read a lot of very recognizable stories here. Problem is that a lot of solutions mentioned are either vague or do not work. I am a 49 yr old male and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I turned 40. Since 3-4 months I slowly got these spots like ringworm, but they were not that. Now they have turned into hives and were it started on my hands, wrist arms, it is now spread all over, even my face and the horrible itchy bumps on my head. Good lord.... this is exhausting. I wake up from the itches. One morning I woke up and felt a little tingle on my eyebrow and knew that there was going to appear a hive. It was thick and closed half my eye. I had stopped taking Synthroid a year ago and when the doc told me to start it again, I did and for a glorious whole week I was itch and hive free... But it came back with a vengeance...  It is worse than ever. Should I stop the Synthroid? I take 3 Zyrtecs a day but to no avail. Benadryl at night to get sleep, but only for 3-4 hours. Not sure if I would rather be in pain or have itches... Tonite I will take an oatmeal bath (recommendation by CVS 'doc').. I'll take anything!!!
Bonk

you are not too far off from me!  I am a 50 year old male and I had the welts under the eyes as well as on the wrists and feet.  Usually getting it between index  finger and thumb.  I have Hashimotos and on Armour soon to switch to Natur throid.  I went gluten and dairy free and my symptoms are sub siding one by one.  I also have the MTHFR gene so the body swells from toxins.  I take methylated folate for that.  I have not had the welts on face since the sping and its been about 2 months on my wrists.  Its sounds like my hives are not as bad as yours!

Thom
I have had Hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) since at least 1981 when I had my second child.  I swear I had symptoms before that.  When I was a child I always had rashes, including hives.  In 2001 I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue (inability to digest gluten from many grains).  I no longer have rashes and am on a diet to control the Celiac.  In my Internet search (doctors are so little help!) to find the right diet, I found that many people who have thyroid problems also have problems with wheat and other grains containing gluten - either Celiac Sprue or Gluten Intolerance.  And a proportion of these people also have a skin rash known as Dermatitis Herpetiformis.   "Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), or Duhring's disease,[1][2] is a chronic blistering skin condition,[3] characterised by blisters filled with a watery fluid.[4] Despite its name, DH is neither related to nor caused by herpes virus: the name means that it is a skin inflammation having an appearance similar to herpes.

DH was first described by Louis Adolphus Duhring in 1884.[5] A connection between DH and gluten intolerance (coeliac disease) was recognised in 1967,[5][6] although the exact causal mechanism is not known.and a proportion of those people have a rash known as dermatitis herpatiformis."
Wikipedia.       Just like my Celiac symptoms disappeared when I got on a totally gluten-free diet, I have read that the rash will also disappear on a TOTALLY gluten-free diet.  Why don't doctors know this?
OMG..I am a forty nine year old female..I have symtpms that mimmick yours to the tea!!  I loose sooo much sleep.  I see endocrinologist..she told me i need a new job..crazy.  My family is so frustrated and my husband won't even listen anymore.  It is very sad. I feel better knowing I am not the only one having the crazy skin issues.  YEs, it is exhausting.  I too will try and take anything because i need to function .  I work, have kids, and try to be a volunteer..sometimes on 3-4 hours sleep. I am always tired from antihistamines...and you were the only one to mention the scalp issue..i have that.  So embarrasing..ready to shave all my hair off..Yikes..LC