how long for methimazole to work?
How long did it take you guys for it to kick in?   Almost three weeks ago here were my labs:
TSH                  [L]  <0.01 uIU/mL              [0.30-4.70]
Free T4                   1.89 ng/dL                  [0.75-2.00]
FT3                  [H]  5.5 pg/mL                   [2.3-4.2]  

I'm on 10mg of methimazole which I take as 5mg twice a day.   I had a slow start with it two weeks ago, taking only 5mg as I am notorious for my medication reactions but as I'm okay so far I'm gone up to 10mg for the last three days.   Still the minute my beta block leaves my system my resting heartrate zooms up to 100 or with caffeine even more.   I'm cutting out the caffeine altogether now - bums me out because chocolate is my comfort food.   My first visit with the endo isn't for a couple weeks yet.    Thanks in advance!
Have you heard from your doctor yet?

Do you take propranolol, or another beta blocker? This helped me SO much with my "nerves," as you put it. Also really helped me sleep at night.
No still never heard from him. Strange huh. I keep telling myself maybe that's a good thing. Mayb my lab results are fine. Today I felt much better. Really didn't feel the nerves like I did the previous 2 days although I didn't feel totally relaxed either.

No I'm not on propanol. I'm only on a 10mg methimazole which I take in the morning. Actually forgot to take it Tuesday. Didn't realize until that night my pill for Tuesday was still in it's slot in my pillbox. Figured it was to late to take it then so just didn't take one Tuesday.
Hi Jazzin', one thing I've learned in this journey is that HALF-LIFE is everything - the half-life of a drug is the amount of time it takes for half of it to leave your system.  Methimazole half-life is 4-6 hours.  To get the smoothest experience of wellness of mind and body you need to keep the amount in your blood as steady as possible.  You can do this by taking methimazole in 3 doses per day - don't worry about it being exact, but get a pill cutter and divide up your whole daily dose into approximately 3.   So if you take 20mg per day - which I'd guess you take as four 5 mg pills, maybe take one pill first thing in the morning, one pill about 8 hours later, and then 2 right before bed.   If you want to be more precise you could divide them into halves - so you have a total of eight halves - and take 2 halves for one dose, 3 halves for another, and 3 halves for the last.   This is even more important if you were on PTU which has an insane short half-life of 75 minutes, but I've found with methimazole it is also helpful to do 3x's daily dosing.   The important thing is that at the end of the day you've still taken the same total dose - I find endos don't really care how you divide it up.
Jazzin', just saw your post you are on one 10mg pill once a day.   Okay you can divide it up into quarters and do 1 quarter, 1 quarter, and 2 quarters.   And about results feel free to HOUND your doctor's office - you deserve your results.    I used to be so meek and mild, really.
Hi firefly! I don't think breaking up a pill like that would be a good thing for me to do. I already seem to forget to do daily tasks during the day and that would just be one more thing I would have to remember. Everything feels normal this morning. Maybe what I had this week was just a temp reaction to the condition I have. I hate to be always calling my doc for something unless I am continually feeling bad and yesterday and so far today I feel good.  Hopefully they will call today and tell me my results were normal. He did tell me on my last visit that if I started feeling bad again that we could try taking 1 pill one day and 2 the next to try and find the right dosage for me.

What I don't get is I've been on Methimazole since August of last year and really felt great until the end of this month. I've had little episodes here and there but for the most part I've felt good.
Good advice from firefly.  Perhaps you could at least split your dose into two half doses?  You could probably manage half in the morning and half at bedtime with not too much trouble.

I also agree that you should call them if they don't call you.  You have the right not to be left hanging.
Hi all, Been feeling fine since last Wednesday.Haven't felt the nerves or anyrthing out of the ordinary. It's strange cause it felt like something was going on. Now it just feels normal.

Still haven't gotten the results of my lab. Called them Friday and they told me they had recieved the report but had no one there who could read the results. Told me to call back on Monday. Ughh.  
Gee, I didn't know that doctors' offices employed the illiterate.  LOL  Don't you just love it when they tell you something like that and won't read you your results?  Patience...  Sorry they're doing that.
I know. Thank God I started feeling better. Wednesday I almost went to the emergency room bc of how I was feeling. I hate it when they don't just call you right when they receive them. I hate having to call in order to get them.
The first of February I began having all the symptoms of hyperthyroid but didn't know what was happening...anxiety, pounding heart, sweats, nausea and feeling like crap and the most distressing of all....BP that would zoom up to 200 and then down to 100.  I went to ER 3 times and they basically said they couldn't do anything more than wait with me until the BP went down and send me home to call my doctor in the morning.  Finally I got an endo appointment and I have nodules and thyroid levels for hyperthyroid.  (that's right isn't it for too much thyroid?)  I am on 10 mg of methamazole once a day and a beta blocker both as of 5 days ago. (as well as triamterene for BP)  To wait for relief another month feeling like this seems like eternity !!!!  I am so weepy after a night of skyrocketing BP.  I rarely have had a night without it so now I am afraid to even go to sleep at night for fear I will have a stroke or heart attack even though it wakes me up because of the ringing in the ears and rapid heartbeat.  I am so discouraged and wonder if I will ever be well again or if I am damaging the rest of my body until the thryroid blocker kicks in.  I could use a word of encouragement from someone who has been in this place and is "normal" feeling now.  The beta blocker helped some, at least I had 2 days and 2 nights before it all fell apart again last night.  First couple days and nights in a row since this began.   It is comforting to know other people have felt this way too and I am not losing my mind.  Thank you for sharing.
I heard from my doc this past Monday and he (his nurse) told me that he wants me to start taking 5mg a day instead of 10mg so I guess that means I'm getting better. I've felt great ever since last Wednesday. Wierd how I felt so nervous and anxiety last week and now am fine.
Well, it's great that you've been feeling well.  You really should get all your lab results and keep track of them yourself.  That way, no matter where you go or which doctor you see, you'll have your histrory with you.  Just make a note on the lab report what you were taking for meds before the draw.

Best of luck...
Hi Marge, this is Margaret. I went through a very similar series of symptoms. It was horrible. I rarely slept at night due to the racing heart rate and was exhausted every day. I couldn't even go up the stairs without feeling like my heart was going to come through my chest. I would go to work and was so shaky that I felt embarrassed to be around my clients (physical therapy). It turns out, I couldn't tolerate methimazole as it made me very itchy and gave me restless legs like you wouldn't believe. So I ended up going on PTU and propranolol, a much better solution for me. After doing tons of research, I did end up opting to do the radioactive iodine treatment 4 weeks ago because I didn't want to be on long-term medication that had potential to be destructive on my internal organs. Taking long-term synthetic hormone seemed a lot less traumatic on the body. Methimazole was out of the question. They have been administering the radiation treatment for over half a century, and there is no hard evidence indicating long-term negative effects. Although the process means taking a few days off work and staying away from people for a few days, doing the RAI treatment is as simple as taking a Tylenol, and it doesn't make you sick or anything. Believe me, I tried everything else I could first. I totally changed my diet, I cut any foods that would stimulate my thyroid, but the thyroid won! That's Graves disease for you. I don't think taking methimazole once a day is going to help you very much because it leaves your system too quickly. I'd get another opinion about dosage.   I've been taking 20 mg of propranolol three times a day, and 100 mg of PTU three times a day while waiting for my thyroid to peeter out. I have felt great since about 10 days after being on the PTU and propranolol. Good luck, Marge; you WILL feel better!.
Past couple days I have started to feel jittery again. I'm pretty much at a loss for what to do. It comes and gos. Doesn't stay like this all day but have it as I'm typing this. It feels like my nerves but can't quite explain it. My endo reduced my dosage to 5 mgs two weeks ago. This is quite annoying and taxing on me.
It still seems to me that 5 mg is too little for you and 10 is too much.  Why not ask your doctor if you can take 7.5 per day (perhaps by alternating 5/10)?  
Talked to my doc (his nurse) today. She said he wanted me to go do blood work again so I went do that this morning and she told me that based upon the results of the blood work he was going to make an adjustment to my meds. It's wierd cause I'll feel fine in the mornings and after lunch is when I start feeling my nerves and I sometimes feel cold although it has been warming up to the 70's during the day. Hope this works.
Have you asked your doctor about splitting the dose?  I don't know if that would help, but it sounds like you feel pretty well in the morning after taking your meds and then start feeling not so good in the afternoon as the meds wear off a little.  As I said, I don't know if that will help with methimazole, but it might be something to ask your doctor.  Best of luck with the adjustment.  Let me know how it goes.
I think what may have happened is I may have had a reaction to the methimazole. I've been on it since September of last year though and have felt fine taking it. Even felt as good as I've ever felt in December. I can remember 2 times other than recently where I had like anxiety while on it. Once when I first started taking it and once in the beginning of this year. Other than that I had been fine until recently.
pretty positive it is the methimazole that is causing me to feel my nerves. Yesterday and today I purposely didn't take a pill to see how I would feel and I was felt fine. Definitely not taking anymore now until I hear from doctors office.
Talked to my doc yesterday and he told me to get off the meds and see how I feel. I've been feeling fine ever since I quit taking the meds. Said if I start feeling bad again to let him know.
Glad to hear you're feeling better.  It'll take the meds a while to get out of your system, so watch for symptoms.  Best of luck...
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last august and have been on propranolol and methimazole since. I was taking four methimazole and now my specialist increased it to 5 and that really makes me sad. I'm gaining weight and feel so awful about myself. Yes i am feeling better which is worth alot but my hot flashes are insane. My pituitary gland is what the specialist refers to as "sleeping" and so I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to how to wake it up. My blood tests came back and my Tsh-.005 T4-24 and T3-10.3.. I'm so blonde when it comes to understanding what these numbers mean. Can anyone explain them to me? Thx
I answered on your other thread.
How long does it usually take for the meds to get out of your system? Does it vary? What are some of the symptoms to watch out for? I have like little red splotches come out around my nose yesterday and am starting to think this might be related to my thyroid. Should I be concerned and let my endo know about this?
Methimazole has a relatively short half life (6-13 hours), so it should be out of your system in a few days.  However, it does vary individually.  The symptoms you should watch out for are the same ones you would have had when hyper...anxiety, insomnia, weight loss, diarrhea, increase HR and/or BP, etc.

Acne is often a symptoms of hyper.  Do you think that splotches could be that?
I was fine today. The red splotches were gone and I felt fine. Yesterday I was all worried that maybe it was coming back cause I wasn't feeling right either, My mom and me, to an extent, seems to think that the red slotches are rosacea cause it is just around my nose and rosacea is in my family. It's wierd cause once I settle down at night I start feeling fine again. That's why I'm reluctant to call my doc. Plus my next appt with him is May 3

Well I went do blood work last Friday and had my drs visit today. My T4 was normal but my T3 and TSH were a little high again so he is puttIng me back on meds but has changed it to PTU this time and he said he is starting me out at a low dosage cause he said the methimazole seemed to be too much for me. Here we go again.
Do you have your blood work results to post?  If so, please do with reference ranges.

How are you feeling now?
I feel fine right now, Actually haven't felt all that bad. I did have some days where I felt like something wasn't right but I would eat something and then I would feel fine after awhile. No I don't have a copy of my blood results wanted to ask him for it but forgot. The PTU is 50mg.
Good luck with the PTU.  I hope it works better for you.  When are you scheduled for more blood work?  If you start feeling hypo symptoms before, feel free to contact your doctor for a meds adjustment.
my next appt with him is on June 28 so I am going to do blood work the week before that. If I start feeling symptoms I will call him.
I am so glad to have found this forum and have someone else who knows what the symptoms are like. Thanks for giving me a ear to talk too. cause everybody around here just thinks I'm a head case.
I don't know what to do! I've gained 10 pounds since the doc told me no more cardio after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I used to hit the gym 3x a week and now I can't even run on the treadmill. I'm still ALWAYS hungry and now I need to find a way to shed the fat. Has anyone else had this problem? I keep hearing people say that they don't gain weight but I seem to be putting on pounds. I notice that I do lose weight rather quickly when I do work out. If I went against doc's orders I would probably shed this 10lbs in 1-2 weeks. So tempting! I'm currently on methimazole (1/2 a pill per day) and propranolol 10mgs 3x a day. The doc cut my methimazole because she said my white blood count was getting too low. Any suggestions about exercising?
If your doctor told you not to exercise, you should listen.

Have you had any follow up blood work since going on methimazole and propanolol?  If you're gaining weight, it could be because your methimazole dose is too high, and you are a little hypo.  Please post labs with reference ranges.

How do you feel?  Are your hyper symptoms under control?  Any new symptoms?
I feel the same way was just diagnosed hyper end of July 2013 and feel like crap! Dr started me on 10mg methimazole twice a day and 1 atenolol per day. After 4 days still feeling drugged and a bit dizzy and my eyes still effected.  Any suggestions? I'm altering my diet to include less salt and more veges and living foods. I've been able to sleep but just having a real hard time in the a.m. - especially getting ready for work. I'm thinking of reducing my morning dose to half?
I don't know that jazzin is still active here.

Give it some time.  Four days is nothing when it comes to thyroid meds.  These meds don't work instantaneously, like antibiotics, etc.  Both meds you're on take a little getting used to.  When I first started atenolol, I felt a bit "slow" and it had quite an effect on my BP (lower BP might be why you're dizzy).  However, after a few weeks, my BP went back up a bit, and either I got used to that slow feeling, or it went away.

I wouldn't play with your dose until after you have follow up labs.  Getting reliable lab results depends on having taken medication consistently for the 4-6 weeks prior to the draw.  If you're not absolutely consistent, you have no idea where you're at.

Patience...
i have been taking methimazole for 14days, me & my husband are trying to have a child. Can someone please help us
I responded on the thread you posted.
The BP meds especially I've found Atenolol which I"ve been on for a few years now, will make you very tired.  I found taking it at bedtime the best time. I used to take it in the morning and wondered why I was so tired all the time.  Then I switched to around 5pm. Then I was very sleepy early evening. So now I take it AT bedtime.     No advise to help in the Methimazole. I have a seniro cat on it and is having problems with it so am looking for alternatives to the oral pills.  Good luck.
Hi all, I'm back. Unfortunately.
On my last appt with my endo all my levels were in the normal range. A little low but in the normal range. So doc told me I think you are in remission. I told him that i had still been taking the pill but have been forgetting alot (bc I was feeling so good I wasn't thinking about it). He left it up to me for when I needed to take the pill. So I stayed off the pill for two months and felt fine. Around mid Dec I kind of started feeling a little antsy again so I figured I'd get back on the pill but just occasionally. Well everything felt good until last weekend. I felt a little jittery Saturday and Sunday felt like I had an anxiety attack. Went take my bp and it was 180/87. So I started taking the pill again and have took it everyday this week. I also have been feeling nervous and jittery again at times all week. It's not all the time though. It comes on at times during the day.

Has anyone had this happen to them where your levels were normal so you got off the pill for awhile, felt fine and then one day a couple months down the road have the symptoms reappear again?
Can coffee cause you to feel thyroid symptoms? I always heard it can cause you to feel hyper if you have thyroiad disorder but never got clarification on it
When you say "the pill", do you mean anti-thyroid medication?

It's not meant to be taken "off and on" or stopping for a couple months, then getting back on.  

If you start having symptoms, you should get your levels tested and adjust your med, based on symptoms and blood levels, rather than just stop taking the med.

I'm not sure what symptoms you think coffee might be causing.  If you drink too much caffeine, some people get jittery.
I am on PTU, I had a reaction to methimazole. I was taking PTU everyday until about August. I was starting to feel good and my weight had stabalized so my endo told me I think your thyroid is going into remission. He told me to try and get off it and see how I felt and if you start feeling the symptoms start taking it again. Well I stayed off it for two weeks before I started feeling the symptoms again so I got back on it. But I would forget to take it sometimes, so I wasn't taking it everyday. When I went do my labs for my next appt, which wasn't until October, my levels were still normal, which was good. At my appt, I told my dr this and he told me that it was ok if you were forgetting sometimes, you know how you feel you don't have to take it everyday but if you feel the symptoms again call him and get back on it. So he kinda left it up to me as to when to take it. Well I tried getting off the pill again depending on how I felt. And I was maintaining my weight and feeling fine until about mid December. That's when i first started feeling a little nervous but my weight was still the same. So I got back on the PTU but I only took it occasionally, not everyday. Well I was fine until last Saturday when I started to feel a little anxious and last Sunday I had a anxiety attack. And have felt anxious all week That's when I started taking the PTU everyday again. My next appt is Feb 7 so I don't know if I want to go do my lab right now and try and have them move up my appt or just wait until the week before my appt to do my lab and keep my scheduled appt.
Marge529, I am experiencing your exact symptoms. I got really sick on the 23rd of December. I thought I was seriously dying. My heart was racing, sweating, almost fainted, couldn't catch my breath, shaking uncontrollably, off balanced, and upset stomach. I went to the hospital, they stabilized me and sent me home. I was sooooooooooooooo afraid of this happening again that I cried and prayed to God for relief. The episode kept coming on and on, and on. I tell you these feelings are of absolute despair to me. I found out that I do have hyperthyroidism and four goiters, one being really abnormal. I was recently placed on methimazole. I am praying for relief. I have to undergo a serious of biopsy's, to find out the next course of action. I that you too will soon find relief. This is a rough ride to experience. Be well.
Thanks for the info. I just came across this web site and it is very helpful, I live in a very rural place and at times I feel "alone" because no one seems to understand my hyperthyroidismn! What you've descibed is the same way I can feel! God Bless!
Hello all.

I am a newbie to hyperthryoidism, and I'm not amused!  I do think mine is not a severe case as I read all of your posts.  I do have palpitations from time to time, my hands shake now and again.  I've been starving for a while now, lost a few more pounds than I had intended to, and those are all the things that prompted my visit to my GP.  Nuclear Uptake scan showed both lobes of thyroid enlarged consistent with hyper.  

I wonder if I shoudl see an endo? I like my GP but I don't know if I get enough info from her.  Started methimazole a week ago...10mg twice a day.  Today started having some muscle aches and nerve sensations, but Aleve took care of it.

Glad you are all here as I begin the journey.
Here are my results two weeks ago
T4 7.0.    Ref 0.8-1.8
TSH 0.01. Ref 0.40-4.50
I have been taking 5 mg 3 times a day 8 hour apart
So far I am feeling much better but I run out of pills before I get to the endo.
I went to a clinic that won't refill script I am away from home so this is all difficult I my have to stop for a week, but I'm thinking if you are only taking two 5 msg  a day I might be able to do that and get away with it. What are you thoughts
Butterflylady
Just eat oatmeal it's also good to help the heart rate.
I have resting heart rate of 58 bpm and doctor prescribed me methimazol 10 mg daily. He said I have Graves disease so i have to take it. My labs are always not good if I am eating gluten or grain food. If i am of it my labs getting better. I noticed it several times. I have appointment with homeopath coming week.... and recommending u .... read about leaky gut syndrome that is where all our problems ...