Thyroid Disorders Community
how long for methimazole to work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

how long for methimazole to work?

How long did it take you guys for it to kick in?   Almost three weeks ago here were my labs:
TSH                  [L]  <0.01 uIU/mL              [0.30-4.70]
Free T4                   1.89 ng/dL                  [0.75-2.00]
FT3                  [H]  5.5 pg/mL                   [2.3-4.2]  

I'm on 10mg of methimazole which I take as 5mg twice a day.   I had a slow start with it two weeks ago, taking only 5mg as I am notorious for my medication reactions but as I'm okay so far I'm gone up to 10mg for the last three days.   Still the minute my beta block leaves my system my resting heartrate zooms up to 100 or with caffeine even more.   I'm cutting out the caffeine altogether now - bums me out because chocolate is my comfort food.   My first visit with the endo isn't for a couple weeks yet.    Thanks in advance!
anybody got any thoughts on this?
"How does Tapazole work? What will it do for me?

Methimazole belongs to the class of medications called antithyroid medications. It is used to treat hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland). It prevents the thyroid gland from over-producing thyroid hormone, but does not interfere with the actions of thyroid hormone. It may take weeks to months before methimazole has its full effect on the symptoms of overactive thyroid (e.g., palpitations, sweating). During this time period, other medications may be used to control these symptoms."

excerpt from C Health - Tapazole
Aaaargh!    Weeks to months, I can't take it!    I am having a lot of side effects from the beta blocker (drugged, woozy, fuzzy headed)  I'm taking and I MUST take it or else my heart races and I shake.   Even with the beta-blocker my appetite is out of control - I never feel satisfied no matter what or how much I eat.    I guess I've gotta learn patience because I keep reading posts on this forum and see that I may have to get used to being out of balance in one direction or another for the forseeable future.   But can I say it again?  AAAAAAARGH!     Oh and btw, this post of mine is an example of what happens as the beta-blocker wears off....time for me to go take another frigging pill.
lol...it could of said years. How fast is your resting heart rate without medication? Just curious as i have about 100bpm on average but i usually can't feel this.  It's kinda weird to see 106bpm for instance and feel nothing.
You might get used to the beta blocker.  When I was first on one, I can remember feeling kind of "slow", but as time went on, that feeling went away, and I now have no side effects from it at all.  Which one are you taking?

Also, though it can take weeks or months to reach "full" effect, you should see improvements along the way.  When are you scheduled for labs again?  Perhaps you should call your doctor to see if he thinks your dose has to be changed since your symptoms don't seem to be lessening.
I have to say I envy  that you can't feel it Red_star - once my heart rate is above 90 I feel it acutely.   I could count my pulse without even using my fingers just from feeling the pounding of my heart.   Without medication my resting pulse is 120 - that's what finally led me to my doctor's office insisting something was wrong.

I've heard that some people can have a regular fast heart rate and it's not a sign of illness though so your 106 might not be the same as my 106 if that makes sense.  Are you hyperthyroid?
HI Goolarra, I'm on metoprolol and it can make me feel slow, clumsy, my reaction times are seriously impacted - makes me a little nervous about driving.   I hope in time I can adapt to it like you have.    Labs won't be for another three weeks when I see the endo for the first time but I may call the doc before then if this keeps up.
Okay, well, I have you both beat in the tachycardia department!  LOL  I have a WPW syndrome, and when I have an episode, my pulse is so fast that I can't count it.  My BP monitor just returns an error message.  I had an episode once in the doctor's office, and with a stethoscope, they counted 208.

Just had to throw that in...

You could also try a different beta blocker.  I take atenolol, and I do remember that slow feeling at first, but I haven't experienced it lately.

Have you noticed any improvement in symptoms at all?  
WPW syndrome?   208 sounds scary fast - I hope you didn't have to go for long with it like that.    It's hard to say whether I've had any improvement or not because the beta blocker does very effectively mask the symptoms.    I've only been on the full 10mg of methimazole for less than a week though so I'm okay with giving it more time.   Feeling a tad calmer this evening....
I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis but i also have an inflammed thyroid. Well more inflammed than normal anyway.  I had a look through my health diary i started in January and noted the highest heart rate i recorded was 113bpm but i still didn't feel it. O_o  

I have had higher heart rates due to severe magnesium deficiency such as 300bpm for a few minutes and 250bpm for 7 hours.  Okay so those episodes i could feel my heart pounding so i'm not super weird (maybe) ha! but at least i could count my heart rate...yeah goolarra you win lol!
Interesting about the magnesium deficiency.  How did you find out that's what was causing your tachycardia?  Do you think your Hashi's contributed?  Do you know what caused the deficiency?

I find it interesting because I haven't had a tachy episode in close to 2 years.  I've always thought that was because I finally got my thyroid under control and have been very stable.  However, I also started taking magnesium about that time, and I've wondered about that, too.
I was pretty certain magnesium deficiency was the problem.  That is once i figured out what the problem was....around 6 years after my first heart episode.  And since correcting my magnesium deficiency, almost a year ago now, i haven't had a sudden high heart rate episode since.  In my case at least, Hashi's wasn't the problem in regards to this symptom.

I eat about once a day due to a poor appetite. I'm a walking nutrient deficiency lol. So not enough magnesium in my diet is a factor. There may be other factors as well but my deficiency worsened after surgery and then prolonged high doses of vitamin D.
I got the diagnosis of hyperthyroid today and feel exactly like you. It ***** so fierce its ridaculous. I can eat and eat and eat, then wake up the same weight if I'm lucky. I thought I would feel better once we knew for sure and I could take the pill, Alas I was wrong, i cant stand pills  - beta blockers suck and waiting three weeks for the methimazole to work seems interminable.
F(*&in AAARRRRGHHH!!! I feel like i am in mourning that I am no longer normal. Hopefully I will get used to the beta blockers as many kind posters have written and then the methimazole will kick in and all will be better. Wishing you all get better. PS - my first post to pretty much anything ever.
  Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to.  There are worse things though and that is what I try to tell myself. I agree it does stink about having hyperthyroidism.  I was kinda angry and upset that my body "betrayed " me.  I had always been as  healthy as a horse so they say but this apparently had been lurking and now is here to stay and I am unable to ignore the symptoms. I eat like there is no tomorrow too because I am hungry within 2 hours of eating..my husband says "You can't possibly be hungry!"  I eat more than he does..but I do try to eat more nutritious and more protein.  Food goes right through me.
The beta blocker was my saviour--the rapid heart rate up to 170 was awful --many days I could barely walk across the room without my heart rate zooming up to 170--pretty bad for a person who a month prior was kicking butt at the gym.  Sometimes with the rapid heart rate I had chest pressure--I thought I was too young for that--it really scared me.  I could barely watch tv since anything emotional like a suspenseful show caused my heart to race as the suspense increased--crazy. When everything hit with this hyperthyroidism it really hit hard.  The beta blocker also controlled the full body shakes--the shakes had started with hand tremors and when all got going full body shakes including abdominal shakes--crazy stuff.  Also the betablocker stopped the panic attacks which had come out of nowhere.  The beta blocker became my best friend .  Once I was started on the antithyroid med after the nuclear scan confirmed Graves the doctor started to wean me from the betablocker --maybe 1-2 weeks into the PTU (my antithyroid med) .  
I was switched to Methimazole because of less side effects but developed hives to it--switched back to PTU and had been doing great for about 9 months when symptoms of hyperthyroid started creeping in  again--this time I was all over it--got my labs rechecked and upped my PTU per md.  I am hoping things will get under control soon--luckily my symptoms are mild compared to last time. Last year I was out of work for 5 weeks since I could barely move with the rapid heart rate and with my job as a  hospital nurse you are on the run constantly.
Glad you found this site..it has helped me to cope with all the changes .  It was helpful to me because people on this site have walked in my shoes and they were able to give me hope that things would get better.  Sorry that you are going through all this.  Best wishes for control of your thryoid soon.
Oops wanted to add you to my watch list  to hear how all goes for you and I forgot to  put a check mark in the box--also apologies for such a lengthy post above--lol
Well i've been on tapazole for almost three months now and when you said your appetite is out of control I stopped breathing for a bit. I eat till i feel I'll burst and then look around for something else to eat. my sugar cravings are beyond out of control. Does this med increase appetite? im 53 years old and thought i had lost all abitlity for leaving food alone. especially when i'm not even hungry. My heart rate is almost always 120 so when you say 100 (I wish). Is it true that once my overactive thyroid is healed i'll have to take meds for underactive? this really makes me sad to think of taking more meds. Havent been on meds for thirty years and now this. I'm gaining weight and makes me feel so ugly
Amen!!! My husband doesnt say anything about my eating cuz he knows it would take the dr a week to get my foot out of his *** but i"m actually embarrassed how I can eat twice as much as him. and chocolate bars. om goodness I can't leave them alone. I know there's always someone worse off out there but you tend not to think of them when your in this crap yourself. Thank you so much for sharing everyone. I feel less alone :(
what about just yanking or killing off the thyrroid is that an option?
I was recently diagnosed with Graves.  I'm on beta blockers and have not started methimazole due to iodine uptake.  Also, my endo is really pushing for RAI.  I currently take cumadin (coumadin) for blood clotting and I'm concerned about taking both cumadin (coumadin) and methimazole.  Does anyone
take both??
about a year ago, I started having anxiety attacks and shaking so on my 40th bday I went do blood work with my family doc. The results came back showing I had hyperthyroidism so he referred me to an endocrinologist. First thing he did was schedule me to have a scan of my thyroid. After he reviewed the scan he told me that I do show signs of being a little hyper and I have mild graves disease. He told me it is probable and likely that it would go into remission though. However, he put me on 10mg methimazole twice a day to treat my hyperthyroidism, which I took as directed for the next 3 months. on my next visit with him, my T3 and T4 levels had normalized but my TSH was still a little high and I was feeling good again. He told me to continue to take the methimazole as directed, which I did for another month. Then I started feeling bloated and constapated so I cut back to taking 1 pill a day at 10 mg. This made me feel good again until around the beginning of the year when I started feeling shaky again. So I called him and he told me to get back to taking 2 pills a day which I did and on my next appt my lab results  showed me to be slightly hypo. To which he told me to go back to taking 1 pill a day. Which is where I am currently. I have been feeling fine but have noticed the past week a little bit of weakness in my stomach. Thinking about calling him next week to let him know about these symtoms (symptoms).    
Yes, definitely call him and ask if you can have labs run again.  It seems like you've been yo-yo-ing hypo on 20 mg to hyper on 10 mg.  Why not ask your doctor if you could try something in the middle between the two doses?  You might be more stable that way.
well went do blood work today and glad I went cause last night and tonight I have been feeling a little anxious. Took me hald an Xanax hopefully that will calm me down. I hate feeling like this now cause everything felt like it was getting better 2 months ago.
Well, your meds have been up and down.  It takes some time to find the right dose.  I'm glad you were able to get in and have blood work done.  Will you see your doctor now to get the results?
I called him yesterday after I had did the lab work (spoke to his nurse). Supposed to call me whenever they get the results and let me know. Something though has gotten my nerves rattled though cause ever since the weekend I've had moments where my legs feel almost like jelly and like my muscles want to tense up. It was worse today right when I got home from work. Feels like it driving me up a wall almost when it's going on. Hopefully they will call tomorrow and let me know what to do.
If they don't call you, don't hesitate to call them.  They get busy, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  You don't feel good, so bug them!
It comes and goes cause I feel fine now. Earlier today my nerves were all rattled. Has anyone else ever experienced this, where the symptoms go away later in the evening?
I had to stop methimazole due to itchiness (indicates allergy). I now take PTU and propranolol. However, I will say I "gave up" and went for the radioactive iodine treatment. Although I'm waiting for this to kick in, it's quite unbelievable how normal I feel now with the PTU and propranolol combination. I used to shake so badly, it was embarrassing to work with my patients (physical therapist). I dropped weight (129 down to 114, didn't have 15 pounds to lose!), couldn't do anything without my heart rate going sky high, the skin under my fingernails receded quite far back, and I had so much weakness in my shoulders and hips it was difficult (and painful) to take off a t-shirt or get up off the floor. I'm a mountain biker, so this was all just devastating. Well, now I'm starting to "fatten up" and feel enough strength to do exercises with my patients.  I really think the propranolol helped significantly. I resisted meds and started with only 5mg of it per day, but now I don't care and take 30mg total (10 mg 3 times a day). What works for some may not work for others, but I will say this has worked for me.
Well today was probably the worst as far as my nerves go. I started out the day feeling fine. Then after lunch, I started feeling my nerves again. Maybe it's anxiety attacks again. Anyway it was to the point I had to leave work. I had called my doc to see if he got the results of my blood work but he was with a patient when I called so they took my num and said they would call back which they didn't. This leads me to believe that my results were not an emergency but the symptoms sure feel like an emergency to me. I don't feel weak or anything. I go to the gym occasionally and I can still do what I normally do, it's just my nerves. Sometimes it feels like it is going to drive me up the wall. The strange thing is I'm not constantly feeling like that. I usually calm down in the evenings.  
Have you heard from your doctor yet?

Do you take propranolol, or another beta blocker? This helped me SO much with my "nerves," as you put it. Also really helped me sleep at night.
No still never heard from him. Strange huh. I keep telling myself maybe that's a good thing. Mayb my lab results are fine. Today I felt much better. Really didn't feel the nerves like I did the previous 2 days although I didn't feel totally relaxed either.

No I'm not on propanol. I'm only on a 10mg methimazole which I take in the morning. Actually forgot to take it Tuesday. Didn't realize until that night my pill for Tuesday was still in it's slot in my pillbox. Figured it was to late to take it then so just didn't take one Tuesday.
Hi Jazzin', one thing I've learned in this journey is that HALF-LIFE is everything - the half-life of a drug is the amount of time it takes for half of it to leave your system.  Methimazole half-life is 4-6 hours.  To get the smoothest experience of wellness of mind and body you need to keep the amount in your blood as steady as possible.  You can do this by taking methimazole in 3 doses per day - don't worry about it being exact, but get a pill cutter and divide up your whole daily dose into approximately 3.   So if you take 20mg per day - which I'd guess you take as four 5 mg pills, maybe take one pill first thing in the morning, one pill about 8 hours later, and then 2 right before bed.   If you want to be more precise you could divide them into halves - so you have a total of eight halves - and take 2 halves for one dose, 3 halves for another, and 3 halves for the last.   This is even more important if you were on PTU which has an insane short half-life of 75 minutes, but I've found with methimazole it is also helpful to do 3x's daily dosing.   The important thing is that at the end of the day you've still taken the same total dose - I find endos don't really care how you divide it up.
Jazzin', just saw your post you are on one 10mg pill once a day.   Okay you can divide it up into quarters and do 1 quarter, 1 quarter, and 2 quarters.   And about results feel free to HOUND your doctor's office - you deserve your results.    I used to be so meek and mild, really.
Hi firefly! I don't think breaking up a pill like that would be a good thing for me to do. I already seem to forget to do daily tasks during the day and that would just be one more thing I would have to remember. Everything feels normal this morning. Maybe what I had this week was just a temp reaction to the condition I have. I hate to be always calling my doc for something unless I am continually feeling bad and yesterday and so far today I feel good.  Hopefully they will call today and tell me my results were normal. He did tell me on my last visit that if I started feeling bad again that we could try taking 1 pill one day and 2 the next to try and find the right dosage for me.

What I don't get is I've been on Methimazole since August of last year and really felt great until the end of this month. I've had little episodes here and there but for the most part I've felt good.
Good advice from firefly.  Perhaps you could at least split your dose into two half doses?  You could probably manage half in the morning and half at bedtime with not too much trouble.

I also agree that you should call them if they don't call you.  You have the right not to be left hanging.
Hi all, Been feeling fine since last Wednesday.Haven't felt the nerves or anyrthing out of the ordinary. It's strange cause it felt like something was going on. Now it just feels normal.

Still haven't gotten the results of my lab. Called them Friday and they told me they had recieved the report but had no one there who could read the results. Told me to call back on Monday. Ughh.  
Gee, I didn't know that doctors' offices employed the illiterate.  LOL  Don't you just love it when they tell you something like that and won't read you your results?  Patience...  Sorry they're doing that.
I know. Thank God I started feeling better. Wednesday I almost went to the emergency room bc of how I was feeling. I hate it when they don't just call you right when they receive them. I hate having to call in order to get them.
The first of February I began having all the symptoms of hyperthyroid but didn't know what was happening...anxiety, pounding heart, sweats, nausea and feeling like crap and the most distressing of all....BP that would zoom up to 200 and then down to 100.  I went to ER 3 times and they basically said they couldn't do anything more than wait with me until the BP went down and send me home to call my doctor in the morning.  Finally I got an endo appointment and I have nodules and thyroid levels for hyperthyroid.  (that's right isn't it for too much thyroid?)  I am on 10 mg of methamazole once a day and a beta blocker both as of 5 days ago. (as well as triamterene for BP)  To wait for relief another month feeling like this seems like eternity !!!!  I am so weepy after a night of skyrocketing BP.  I rarely have had a night without it so now I am afraid to even go to sleep at night for fear I will have a stroke or heart attack even though it wakes me up because of the ringing in the ears and rapid heartbeat.  I am so discouraged and wonder if I will ever be well again or if I am damaging the rest of my body until the thryroid blocker kicks in.  I could use a word of encouragement from someone who has been in this place and is "normal" feeling now.  The beta blocker helped some, at least I had 2 days and 2 nights before it all fell apart again last night.  First couple days and nights in a row since this began.   It is comforting to know other people have felt this way too and I am not losing my mind.  Thank you for sharing.
I heard from my doc this past Monday and he (his nurse) told me that he wants me to start taking 5mg a day instead of 10mg so I guess that means I'm getting better. I've felt great ever since last Wednesday. Wierd how I felt so nervous and anxiety last week and now am fine.
Well, it's great that you've been feeling well.  You really should get all your lab results and keep track of them yourself.  That way, no matter where you go or which doctor you see, you'll have your histrory with you.  Just make a note on the lab report what you were taking for meds before the draw.

Best of luck...
Hi Marge, this is Margaret. I went through a very similar series of symptoms. It was horrible. I rarely slept at night due to the racing heart rate and was exhausted every day. I couldn't even go up the stairs without feeling like my heart was going to come through my chest. I would go to work and was so shaky that I felt embarrassed to be around my clients (physical therapy). It turns out, I couldn't tolerate methimazole as it made me very itchy and gave me restless legs like you wouldn't believe. So I ended up going on PTU and propranolol, a much better solution for me. After doing tons of research, I did end up opting to do the radioactive iodine treatment 4 weeks ago because I didn't want to be on long-term medication that had potential to be destructive on my internal organs. Taking long-term synthetic hormone seemed a lot less traumatic on the body. Methimazole was out of the question. They have been administering the radiation treatment for over half a century, and there is no hard evidence indicating long-term negative effects. Although the process means taking a few days off work and staying away from people for a few days, doing the RAI treatment is as simple as taking a Tylenol, and it doesn't make you sick or anything. Believe me, I tried everything else I could first. I totally changed my diet, I cut any foods that would stimulate my thyroid, but the thyroid won! That's Graves disease for you. I don't think taking methimazole once a day is going to help you very much because it leaves your system too quickly. I'd get another opinion about dosage.   I've been taking 20 mg of propranolol three times a day, and 100 mg of PTU three times a day while waiting for my thyroid to peeter out. I have felt great since about 10 days after being on the PTU and propranolol. Good luck, Marge; you WILL feel better!.
Past couple days I have started to feel jittery again. I'm pretty much at a loss for what to do. It comes and gos. Doesn't stay like this all day but have it as I'm typing this. It feels like my nerves but can't quite explain it. My endo reduced my dosage to 5 mgs two weeks ago. This is quite annoying and taxing on me.
It still seems to me that 5 mg is too little for you and 10 is too much.  Why not ask your doctor if you can take 7.5 per day (perhaps by alternating 5/10)?  
Talked to my doc (his nurse) today. She said he wanted me to go do blood work again so I went do that this morning and she told me that based upon the results of the blood work he was going to make an adjustment to my meds. It's wierd cause I'll feel fine in the mornings and after lunch is when I start feeling my nerves and I sometimes feel cold although it has been warming up to the 70's during the day. Hope this works.
Have you asked your doctor about splitting the dose?  I don't know if that would help, but it sounds like you feel pretty well in the morning after taking your meds and then start feeling not so good in the afternoon as the meds wear off a little.  As I said, I don't know if that will help with methimazole, but it might be something to ask your doctor.  Best of luck with the adjustment.  Let me know how it goes.
I think what may have happened is I may have had a reaction to the methimazole. I've been on it since September of last year though and have felt fine taking it. Even felt as good as I've ever felt in December. I can remember 2 times other than recently where I had like anxiety while on it. Once when I first started taking it and once in the beginning of this year. Other than that I had been fine until recently.
pretty positive it is the methimazole that is causing me to feel my nerves. Yesterday and today I purposely didn't take a pill to see how I would feel and I was felt fine. Definitely not taking anymore now until I hear from doctors office.
Talked to my doc yesterday and he told me to get off the meds and see how I feel. I've been feeling fine ever since I quit taking the meds. Said if I start feeling bad again to let him know.
Glad to hear you're feeling better.  It'll take the meds a while to get out of your system, so watch for symptoms.  Best of luck...
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last august and have been on propranolol and methimazole since. I was taking four methimazole and now my specialist increased it to 5 and that really makes me sad. I'm gaining weight and feel so awful about myself. Yes i am feeling better which is worth alot but my hot flashes are insane. My pituitary gland is what the specialist refers to as "sleeping" and so I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to how to wake it up. My blood tests came back and my Tsh-.005 T4-24 and T3-10.3.. I'm so blonde when it comes to understanding what these numbers mean. Can anyone explain them to me? Thx
I answered on your other thread.
How long does it usually take for the meds to get out of your system? Does it vary? What are some of the symptoms to watch out for? I have like little red splotches come out around my nose yesterday and am starting to think this might be related to my thyroid. Should I be concerned and let my endo know about this?
Methimazole has a relatively short half life (6-13 hours), so it should be out of your system in a few days.  However, it does vary individually.  The symptoms you should watch out for are the same ones you would have had when hyper...anxiety, insomnia, weight loss, diarrhea, increase HR and/or BP, etc.

Acne is often a symptoms of hyper.  Do you think that splotches could be that?
I was fine today. The red splotches were gone and I felt fine. Yesterday I was all worried that maybe it was coming back cause I wasn't feeling right either, My mom and me, to an extent, seems to think that the red slotches are rosacea cause it is just around my nose and rosacea is in my family. It's wierd cause once I settle down at night I start feeling fine again. That's why I'm reluctant to call my doc. Plus my next appt with him is May 3

Well I went do blood work last Friday and had my drs visit today. My T4 was normal but my T3 and TSH were a little high again so he is puttIng me back on meds but has changed it to PTU this time and he said he is starting me out at a low dosage cause he said the methimazole seemed to be too much for me. Here we go again.
Do you have your blood work results to post?  If so, please do with reference ranges.

How are you feeling now?
I feel fine right now, Actually haven't felt all that bad. I did have some days where I felt like something wasn't right but I would eat something and then I would feel fine after awhile. No I don't have a copy of my blood results wanted to ask him for it but forgot. The PTU is 50mg.
Good luck with the PTU.  I hope it works better for you.  When are you scheduled for more blood work?  If you start feeling hypo symptoms before, feel free to contact your doctor for a meds adjustment.
my next appt with him is on June 28 so I am going to do blood work the week before that. If I start feeling symptoms I will call him.
I am so glad to have found this forum and have someone else who knows what the symptoms are like. Thanks for giving me a ear to talk too. cause everybody around here just thinks I'm a head case.
I don't know what to do! I've gained 10 pounds since the doc told me no more cardio after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I used to hit the gym 3x a week and now I can't even run on the treadmill. I'm still ALWAYS hungry and now I need to find a way to shed the fat. Has anyone else had this problem? I keep hearing people say that they don't gain weight but I seem to be putting on pounds. I notice that I do lose weight rather quickly when I do work out. If I went against doc's orders I would probably shed this 10lbs in 1-2 weeks. So tempting! I'm currently on methimazole (1/2 a pill per day) and propranolol 10mgs 3x a day. The doc cut my methimazole because she said my white blood count was getting too low. Any suggestions about exercising?
If your doctor told you not to exercise, you should listen.

Have you had any follow up blood work since going on methimazole and propanolol?  If you're gaining weight, it could be because your methimazole dose is too high, and you are a little hypo.  Please post labs with reference ranges.

How do you feel?  Are your hyper symptoms under control?  Any new symptoms?
I feel the same way was just diagnosed hyper end of July 2013 and feel like crap! Dr started me on 10mg methimazole twice a day and 1 atenolol per day. After 4 days still feeling drugged and a bit dizzy and my eyes still effected.  Any suggestions? I'm altering my diet to include less salt and more veges and living foods. I've been able to sleep but just having a real hard time in the a.m. - especially getting ready for work. I'm thinking of reducing my morning dose to half?
I don't know that jazzin is still active here.

Give it some time.  Four days is nothing when it comes to thyroid meds.  These meds don't work instantaneously, like antibiotics, etc.  Both meds you're on take a little getting used to.  When I first started atenolol, I felt a bit "slow" and it had quite an effect on my BP (lower BP might be why you're dizzy).  However, after a few weeks, my BP went back up a bit, and either I got used to that slow feeling, or it went away.

I wouldn't play with your dose until after you have follow up labs.  Getting reliable lab results depends on having taken medication consistently for the 4-6 weeks prior to the draw.  If you're not absolutely consistent, you have no idea where you're at.

Patience...
i have been taking methimazole for 14days, me & my husband are trying to have a child. Can someone please help us
I responded on the thread you posted.
The BP meds especially I've found Atenolol which I"ve been on for a few years now, will make you very tired.  I found taking it at bedtime the best time. I used to take it in the morning and wondered why I was so tired all the time.  Then I switched to around 5pm. Then I was very sleepy early evening. So now I take it AT bedtime.     No advise to help in the Methimazole. I have a seniro cat on it and is having problems with it so am looking for alternatives to the oral pills.  Good luck.
Hi all, I'm back. Unfortunately.
On my last appt with my endo all my levels were in the normal range. A little low but in the normal range. So doc told me I think you are in remission. I told him that i had still been taking the pill but have been forgetting alot (bc I was feeling so good I wasn't thinking about it). He left it up to me for when I needed to take the pill. So I stayed off the pill for two months and felt fine. Around mid Dec I kind of started feeling a little antsy again so I figured I'd get back on the pill but just occasionally. Well everything felt good until last weekend. I felt a little jittery Saturday and Sunday felt like I had an anxiety attack. Went take my bp and it was 180/87. So I started taking the pill again and have took it everyday this week. I also have been feeling nervous and jittery again at times all week. It's not all the time though. It comes on at times during the day.

Has anyone had this happen to them where your levels were normal so you got off the pill for awhile, felt fine and then one day a couple months down the road have the symptoms reappear again?
Can coffee cause you to feel thyroid symptoms? I always heard it can cause you to feel hyper if you have thyroiad disorder but never got clarification on it
When you say "the pill", do you mean anti-thyroid medication?

It's not meant to be taken "off and on" or stopping for a couple months, then getting back on.  

If you start having symptoms, you should get your levels tested and adjust your med, based on symptoms and blood levels, rather than just stop taking the med.

I'm not sure what symptoms you think coffee might be causing.  If you drink too much caffeine, some people get jittery.
I am on PTU, I had a reaction to methimazole. I was taking PTU everyday until about August. I was starting to feel good and my weight had stabalized so my endo told me I think your thyroid is going into remission. He told me to try and get off it and see how I felt and if you start feeling the symptoms start taking it again. Well I stayed off it for two weeks before I started feeling the symptoms again so I got back on it. But I would forget to take it sometimes, so I wasn't taking it everyday. When I went do my labs for my next appt, which wasn't until October, my levels were still normal, which was good. At my appt, I told my dr this and he told me that it was ok if you were forgetting sometimes, you know how you feel you don't have to take it everyday but if you feel the symptoms again call him and get back on it. So he kinda left it up to me as to when to take it. Well I tried getting off the pill again depending on how I felt. And I was maintaining my weight and feeling fine until about mid December. That's when i first started feeling a little nervous but my weight was still the same. So I got back on the PTU but I only took it occasionally, not everyday. Well I was fine until last Saturday when I started to feel a little anxious and last Sunday I had a anxiety attack. And have felt anxious all week That's when I started taking the PTU everyday again. My next appt is Feb 7 so I don't know if I want to go do my lab right now and try and have them move up my appt or just wait until the week before my appt to do my lab and keep my scheduled appt.
Marge529, I am experiencing your exact symptoms. I got really sick on the 23rd of December. I thought I was seriously dying. My heart was racing, sweating, almost fainted, couldn't catch my breath, shaking uncontrollably, off balanced, and upset stomach. I went to the hospital, they stabilized me and sent me home. I was sooooooooooooooo afraid of this happening again that I cried and prayed to God for relief. The episode kept coming on and on, and on. I tell you these feelings are of absolute despair to me. I found out that I do have hyperthyroidism and four goiters, one being really abnormal. I was recently placed on methimazole. I am praying for relief. I have to undergo a serious of biopsy's, to find out the next course of action. I that you too will soon find relief. This is a rough ride to experience. Be well.
Thanks for the info. I just came across this web site and it is very helpful, I live in a very rural place and at times I feel "alone" because no one seems to understand my hyperthyroidismn! What you've descibed is the same way I can feel! God Bless!