Thyroid Disorders Community
how long for new dosage to take effect

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

how long for new dosage to take effect

I have recently gone from 100 synthroid every day down (again) to 88 synthroid----I had my thyroid removed (not
cancer) 7 months ago, but was hyper on 100 (last lab was 0.8)  My question: how long does it take your body
to really begin to respond to a new dosage-----I've been on 88 now for a little over two weeks, but still feel
pretty hyper
If it has been the two weeks I would drop a call to the office and speak to the doctor. I know when I was hyper and called - they had me skip a couple days of meds. This should be directed by your doctor and not do on your own.

My surgeon and general practitioner both said replacement thyroid hormone has a life of a week So if you take a dose for a week, in a week you should start to notice some change, BUT! They also said it takes about 3 for the body to actually adjust. In my experience I can say that is correct. So hang in there...I am still climbing walls too on my 150mcg dose (skipping a day and being on 100mcg then onto 150 the other day, to trick my body into thinking it is 125mcg) From what I investigated on the net it does seem that 3 weeks is the magic turn time.
If you still feel proverbially yuk in a week, then sure contact your doc and say HELP!