Thyroid Disorders Community
hyperthyroid eat broccoli everyday
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hyperthyroid eat broccoli everyday

some website say hyperthyroid patients need eat broccoli and is good, while some said not good  http://www.naturalendocrinesolutions.com/articles/goitrogens-thyroid-inhibiting-foods-you-should-avoid/  

please comment? I'm thinking of eating broccoli everyday to slow down my thyroid producing hormon. I am having mild hyperthyroid.
Blank
Have you seen the articles saying acetyl L carnitine is a great natural way to deal with hyperthyroid?

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/dec2007_report_thyroid_01.htm

I have no personal experience of this (I'm hypothyroid) but it might be worth asking your doctor about this. It sounds as if it might be better than goitrogenic foods.
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Broccoli is a goitrogen.  Goitrogens interfere with the thyroid's ability to use iodine.  They can cause swelling/inflammation of the thyroid.  The goitrogens are actually very good for you, other than their effect on thyroid health.  Cooking them removes the goitrogenic properties, so they have no adverse effects.

Soy is a goitrogenic that I do not recommend eating at all.

I'm not sure that eating broccoli will have that much effect on your hyperthyroidism.  Maybe you'd be better off to get an anti-thyroid medication from your doctor.

Please post your current thyroid levels so members can better assess your situation and possibly make suggestions.  Be sure to include reference ranges, since those vary lab to lab and must come from your own report.
Blank
Have you seen the articles saying acetyl L carnitine is a great natural way to deal with hyperthyroid?

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/dec2007_report_thyroid_01.htm

I have no personal experience of this (I'm hypothyroid) but it might be worth asking your doctor about this. It sounds as if it might be better than goitrogenic foods.
Blank
here is my blood test output

Free Thyroxine (FT4)     22.0     (lab range 9-25)
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone     1.510     (lab range 0.4 - 4.7)
Free Tri-iodothyronine (FT3)          6.6       (lab range 3.5 -6.5)

do you think ok if i take broccoli everyday? i'm trying to gain weight
Blank
hi @youvegottobekidding  where can get L carnitine from herb/fruits/foods ?
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Your levels are certainly up there, aren't they?

I'm surprised your doctor hasn't given you an anti-thyroid med.  

Eating broccoli isn't going to hurt you, but I've no way of knowing whether or not it will help all that much either.  You won't be able to gain weight, until your thyroid levels come down.
Blank
The food you get L carnitine from is meat and dairy foods. The amount you'll get is very unpredictablebecause your liver has to make it out of 2 different amino acids. Many people do not have enough, therefore it is a very widely used nutritional supplement. To have the effect described in the article, you would need to buy a supplement from a vitamin store.
Blank
doctor asks me to take one tablet of camazol carbimazole everyday for one month. from what i know this is a drug. Drug normally only work when the patient intake it. what going to happen if i stop?  i'm now taking broccoli everyday with camazol. My goal is to gain weight.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...