Thyroid Disorders Community
hypoechoic nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hypoechoic nodule

my tsh level is normal but my thyroid ultrasound shows a hypoechoic nodule on the left lobe measuring 1.2x0.92x0.78cm. my thyroid gland is normal in size..

what does hypoechoic nodule means? is it cancerous? is it treatable? do i need surgery? please help me. i am scheduled to see an endocrinologist next week but i can't wait. i want to have an idea about the nodule. thank you very much.
Please let me know what you find out next week with your endo. I have the same thing that you do. My US read hypoechoic nodule noted in the apex of the left thyroid surrounded by increased vascularity. It measures 2.2 x 2.0 x 1.2 cm. It has grown since the first US. The good news is I had a biopsy (FNA) two weeks ago and it came back benign. As I understand it, most of these nodules are. I have an appointment scheduled with an ENDO for 01/03/08 and like you I'm going crazy not knowing what's happening to me. My TSH level was low normal in Sep. (1.51)  and I'm waiting for the results of the test I took last week. I also had a Rai uptake scan which revealed a hyperthyroid state and a diffuse parenchymal abnormality in the right lower thyroid lobe and left lobe.
The only symptoms I have are: fatigue, trouble sleeping and hair loss (on my head and other private areas!).

Good luck and keep us posted...
I am new to this site myself. I had tt on 11/16. I had several nodules and the fna was not conclusive in the report, but because it was starting to cause discomfort and because of a family history of thyroid cancer(MJ13) we opted to do total.My blood test were not really much out of the normal ranges and the nuclear scan only showed slight delay in the 2 hour and normal function in the 24. The final Path report on the affending nodule was clear of cancer but there was a very small leasion found on the other lobe. It was positive for cancer, all be it very small. but face it this is a case of size does matter. It does pay to be on the cautious side and have these things checked.
Thank you for the info. I'm thinking I should just get this problem resolved and go for the TT. I am so nervous these days I can't stand it. All of my immediate family (mother, father, aunts, uncles and cousins) have all died prematurely from a variety of cancers, though only one had thyroid problems. I think it's environmental for them (all lived in Flint, Mich. where they worked in GM factories all of their lives).

Hope you're starting to feel better....happy holidays