hypothyroid and swollen, burning sensation in both ankles
a year ago I had my thyroid ablated. my blood numbers came back perfect for 4 months following ablation.I started to notice discomfort in both ankles, swelling and a sensation of burning. after 4 months I was put on synthroid. my weight gain has been constant, my eating habits are normal. due to pain in ankles it's hard for me to walk distance, or put any pressure on ankles, bending, walking,reaching etc.  No pain pill has helped, elevating does not help. I've been to every 'ologist' in the book, and not one of the doctors had a solution. I've taken a zillion blood tests, cardiac tests, vascular tests etc. all came out perfectly fine.  Everyone is flummoxed. I am still under the care of  my endocrinologist. I'm taking synthroid 150, and cytomel. recently I have been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, so I'm on B12(2000 a day) and Vit. D (2000 a day) My weight is off the charts, and my ankles are still swollen and burning. Is there anyone out there that has these symptoms? I'll keep the weight if I can just get rid of the pain in my ankles and lead a normal walking life.   HELP PLEASE  
I understand...I live in OR...it seems either too hot or too cold to be in the sun for long.  20 minutes in the sun with just face and forearms exposed should be enough to convert the vitamin D that you need.  I'd try increasing your dose if your doctor will go along with that, but I'd also suggesting keeping a very close eye on vitamin D labs.  If your level refuses to go up with oral supplements, you may have to look at another delivery system.  

Don't forget, FREE T3...very important to specify FREE, otherwise you get total T3, which is virtually useless.  
Can't wait to get next blood work done, so I can share results with you.
FT3 it will be and D as well, anything else that I should ask for?
What do you think Vit. D daily, should be?
Of course, FT4 and TSH to go along with the FT3.  

Has your iron/ferritin ever been tested?  That''s another one that's necessary for the proper metabolism of thyroid hormones.  

I really don't know how much D you should be taking.  As I said, we see people with severe deficiencies taking up to 50,000 per WEEK until levels work their way up a little, then backing off a bit.  You'll have to ask your doctor what he thinks.  I know they tend to be somewhat conservative on D depending on other health concerns.  As with all these things, they try your patience, and you can't do them in a day.

Have you increased  to 10 mcg Cytomel twice a day?  How are you feeling with that increase?  
I've only increased cytomel since Thursday,  no change on scale or feelings, I remain hopeful.

Will also add iron/ferritin to my request list, anything else?
My next draw will be in a few weeks, would it be prudent to ask for it sooner?
Your T4 meds weren't changed at all, correct?  If not, it might be a good idea to get labs sooner rather than later if your doctor is cooperative.  Cytomel acts pretty fast, so there's not a delay in levels rising like there is with T4, although there still is some "building".

That's all I can think of at the moment.  Once we know what your FT3 level is doing, there might be more suggestions, but until then, it's all just a guess.
By T4 meds, do you mean synthroid? I take 150mcg. Daily.  
Only other is cytomel, B12, D.
I'm not a pill popper, but at this point, I'd down a bowling ball IF it would take away my burning ankles!
You might want to hold off on the bowling ball...that could cause it's own problems!  LOL  Talk about an intestinal obstruction...

Yes, Synthroid is T4.  And that's remained the same, so you could have labs whenever you want.
Brilliance, brains and sense of humor...Bravo!
Didn't get through to dr. Will try again tomorrow.

Meanwhile burning continues, if you open your window you just might hear my scream!!!
Turns out 3.5 was FT3  range is 2.3-4.2  under UNITS  pg/mL
TSH 0.015(L)    mIU/L    0.40-4.50
B12      972     239-931
Vit.D, 25            31        30-100
Ferritin          97       11-264
Free T4    1.47           0.78-2.19

That's the latest, so what do you think?

So, these are new labs?  Are these on your increase from 5 mcg 2X per day Cytomel to 10 mcg 2X?  If so, how long had you been on 10 mcg 2X?

FT4 is about perfect.  It should be around midrange, and it's at 49%...can't get much closer...as in horseshoes and hand grenades, "close" counts in thyroid panels!  LOL

FT3 is at 63% of range, which is nicely into the upper half and not far from the upper third.

Are you seeing any improvement in your symptoms with the increase?
Not really, my ankles still are swollen and the burning sensation sometimes radiates over the top of my foot, however it subsides and just initial problem area remains.
Still not losing weight,  is there a specific time I should be taking 2nd dose of cytomel? 1st is in the a.m. when I wake, with synthroid, I try to take 2nd 10mcg about an hour before dinner.
When you take the second dose depends on a little experimentation to see what time works best for you.  Most people avoid it after about 3:00 pm (on a "normal" sleep schedule) because it can interfere with sleep).  However, some people can take it right before bed with no ill effects on sleep.  After your morning dose, if you start to feel tired or get any other symptoms consistently at the same time of day, you want to take the second dose 2-3 hours before that time to avoid that "crash".  You don't have to fast before and after taking Cytomel like you do when taking Synthroid.  Even though Cytomel is fast-acting, it can take time to relieve symptoms that have been persistent.

Weight loss takes time, and even once your FT3 and FT4 are optimal, you might find you still have to make an effort to lose weight.  Optimal levels ALLOW you to lose weight, but they don't make you lose weight (at least at a pace that you'd notice).

Have you done anything about the D?  The more I see, the more I think that might be a culprit.
Good info as usual,  have a call in now to endocrinologist, asking what amount he is comfortable with me increasing vit D  to.
Get back to you when he gets back to me, thanks again!
Seems dr. Is being conservative. He feels since I am within the range he doesn't want me to go toxic.
He feels that maybe the rheumatologist will recommend a higher dose or something else.
I go on Monday 29th.
I have little to no faith in them, but will keep an open mind. He best not tell me I have fibromyalgia,  which is their key diagnosis to whatever ails ya!
I agree and increasing D on my own, not crazy a ounts, but jumping to 6000 a day. Untreated hypo, hmmmm.something to bear in mind for Monday visit.
If you have any more brain storms, I'm here, if not have a great weekend.
Do you know if blurry vision is part of D or thyroid symptoms,  
Guess I'm  focusing in on everything different now!
I just want my ankles to stop burning and lose weight, is that too much to ask??
Don't forget to try the EMU OIL for you pain. Its on Amazon.
I also read from Dr Cayce's book : his treatment to reduce edema, other than using Lasix and other diuretics is by drinking watermelon seed tea. I posted it here for you but I mistakingly had the website included so they took out my post.. but you could google it..Watermelon seed tea.
Edgar Cayce was a Psychic Healer in the 20th century.
Did you look into the dandelion root, for the swelling?  You can do either tea or capsules.  

The burning/pain is quite likely caused by the swelling. Mine get that way, too, when swollen, because it stretches my skin.  Weight can also play a role in this, because excess weight can put extra strain on feet/legs.
I've been a fan of Edgar Cayce since the 60's, still have his books, including THE SLEEPING PROPHET.
Will definitely look into the tea, and go back and research the rest of his wisdom. Lasix etc. Never helped. Thanks for the Emu reminder.
I just received a medhelp friendship invitation , that I have to click on to accept,  new to this, legit?  Definitely don't want virus or hackers! Why not just respond like everyone else on this site?
Can I make my own tea from fresh picked dandelions?
My pain and swelling are 24/7, my weight is high due to hypothyroidism,
Will be going to rheumatologist on Monday, hoping he says to up vit D and that will be key to helping me.
Friendship invitations are legit on this site.  Some people don't seem to like to respond on this public a forum.  Some send friendship invitations, some prefer to send PMs (personal messages, which are just avaialable to the two people involved).  If you don't know the person who sent the invite, you can just delete the notice...

I hope these other suggestions will give you some relief.
Thanks and thanks!
The dandelion tea is made from the roots; I'd have  no idea whether or not you could just go pick them and make your own.  It may or may not be safe.  I buy both the tea and capsules at my local health food store; neither are that expensive and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Absolutely right. Thanks
Would love to get your opinion.hoping what you have to add helps me.
Waiting to hear.
Well the rheumatologist lives! He didn't mention the  F diagnosis, lucky him.
He listened, asked questions and had me go across the hall to get x-rays of both ankles. Eliminated RA, and arthritis, and any bone defect. All great news.
He said he could give me stronger pain meds, or high powered anti-inflammatory meds, or, which I opted for, a quicker acting steroid shot. Only did left ankle, as a test.
He ordered different blood work, after those results maybe MRI to check for stenosis in my back, last and hopefully NOT an EMG,..
He was, I think, quite thorough.
Excellent....both that he was thorough and still alive.

Did the steroid shot help?

Did you talk to him at all about your vitamin D?
He said 2 days to see change, I was uncomfortable from the injection yesterday, today a bit better, but still feels like he left part of the needle in my ankle.
I did mention D, he didn't put too much weight into it, so I backed off and will continue on my own.
Interesting to see results of his ordered blood work, takes a week.
Also glad I'm responding from home, not jail.
Perhaps he did leave part of the needle...next time you go in he'll be able to tell you EXACTLY what's causing the pain and swelling!  LOL

You're right...it's not worth going to jail over...although the medical care is free there.

Hope you feel better once the added insult of the needle goes away.
Had right ankle done, Very uncomfortable,  like last time.just sitting it out.Dr. Said if I  continue to  feel better & pain, burning doesn't return I can get shots every 4 months. Still don't know what it is, but know more what it isn't from bloodwork, definitely not RA, whew!
So, I take it that it's helping quite a bit?  What about plain, old osteo arthritis?
Yes, he did say I have a little    'normal'   arthritis for my age, said I should get orthodics (sp) for my shoes because extra weight and pain causing me to put pressure on ankles and turning them wrong.
Don't know if I'm still connected to this site.keep writing but it doesn't show up?
Im not having great luck with 2nd injection, bummed!
However, I did see the scale move in the right direction, just a tad, but better than up!
How much cytomel should I be taking to actually see quicker results,
Taking 10 twice a day.also is there an optimum time of day to get better results?
Hope to hear back and all is well with everybody.
Perhaps you weren't logged in?

Anything's better than up when it comes to weight!  No such thing as too thin or too rich...

Cytomel isn't something to play with to get quicker results.  It's fast acting and much more potent than T4 meds, so you can get yourself into trouble real fast with it.  Your FT3 was already a little on the high side before the increase to 10 mcg X 2 of Cytomel.  I would be very leery of messing with that before seeing how the increase has already affected your FT3 level.

Most people take part of their Cytomel first thing in the morning with T4 meds.  The second part can be taken whenever works best for you...most people do late morning or early afternoon.  After about 3 pm (on a "normal" sleep schedule), it can interfere with sleep.  The best thing to do is learn to time it so that you avoid a lack of energy in the afternoon.  If you take it at 1:00, and your energy lags an hour or two later, move the time back a little to avoid the energy dip.  T3 peaks about 3 hours after you take it.

Is the first ankle still good?  I wonder why the second didn't respond the same way...
Wonderful to hear from you again.
Gave blood today, appointment and results Monday, then decide about cytomel. Will post results.
As for rt.ankle that's the zillion $ question. Since no diagnosis, hard to know anything. Think maybe it will just take longer?
Thanks for info
Latest results
FT3     2.9      2.3-4.2
FT4     1.26    0.78-2.19
TSH      <0.015        0.470-4.680

Endocrinologist upped cytomel  15 twice a day
   He cut synthroid back to 125

Left ankle still better, swollen but not burning, rt. One, still nothing!
Next step MRI?

Forgot to ask....
  Have you heard of ALPHA LIPOIC ACID
My friend takes 600mg 2x daily, aches pains gone.
Will have to research to see if it has negative impact on thyroid function
Whew!  What you got going there?  LOL

Your T3 meds after the labs prior to these current ones was increased to 10 mcg X 2, correct?  Yet, even with that increase, your FT3 went DOWN from 3.5 to 2.9???  

Your FT4 also went down, and if I recall correctly, your T4 meds weren't changed after the previous labs?  The drop in FT4 isn't as significant as the drop in FT3.  

Did your doctor comment at all on the drop in both?

I have not heard of alpha lipoic acid.  Yes, be sure to check out any drug interactions or contraindications before trying it.
No comment, only adjusted meds.
At my wits end, as you can imagine.
No answers as to cause of my ankle problem yet, don't know what to do next.

How was your vacation?
Is there anything at all that you're taking or eating that might be impeding absorption?  Any recent changes in other meds, supplements or diet?

Next time around, I'd pin your endo down and ask him his theory on what's going on with your numbers reversing despite increases.

Fun, but not without incident...long story...
Only meds I take are for thyroid. Pinning him down, might not get answers, but might reduce some stress IF I use real pins!
As for eating something wrong, I have no idea what would cause poor absorption?

Glad fun, but there's always Something unfortunately.
Do you take your meds, especially your T4, on an empty stomach and then wait half to one hour to eat or drink anything?

Are you especially fond of any soy products?

Any gut issues?  Have you been tested for celiac?

From the way your numbers went down, it looks like you're just plain not absorbing the meds.  It's not a case of them not doing you any good...they're just not getting into your bloodstream.
Yes, meds on empty stomach etc.
Soy only with Chinese food, not too  often.
No gut issues, or celiac.

I will ask endocrinologist about getting into my bloodstream,
HOW  is the Question?again
I take B, D, cytomel & synthroid( T4, right?)
I just don't know where those meds are going.  Between the last two blood draws, you increased your T3.  However, your FT3 took a significant dive, and your FT4 took a little one.  One thing that can happen, if FT4 is too high (and I don't think you qualify for this, but I'm running it by you anyway), is that during conversion, more T4 is converted to RT3 than to T3.  This could be lowering your FT3.  

Let me explain.  There are only two ways for your body to get rid of T4:  It can convert it to the biologically active T3 that your cells can use, or it can convert it to RT3 (reverse T3), which is inert.  RT3 can block receptors in cells and stop T3 from getting in.  RT3 kind of has the reputation of being the "evil twin", but in fact it's your body's defense in hard times...famine, starvation (including dieting), certain diseases, trauma, etc.  RT3 induces a kind of hibernation state.

So, it could be that, for some unknown reason, the FT4 that you're taking is being converted less to T3 and more to RT3.

There is a test for RT3.  However, the whole subject of RT3 is controversial as far as mainstream medicine is concerned, so it can be hard to get a doctor to order it.

Neither should affect absorption of thyroid meds, but to you take your B and D at least 4 hours away from your thyroid meds...grasping at straws here.  
Interesting and confusing.
As for B and D, not always 4 hrs.away, but I can if better, never told when to take, I just do.
Could that be something?
I don't think it could be something...never usually is...as I said, I'm grasping at straws.  However, anything that cheap and easy is worth the try.

What's your diet like?  Do I remember that you're vegan, or am I confusing you with someone else?
Does this (PA) condition cause the swelling and burning in feet and ankles? If so, did the B12 injections help with the paini?! Please please let me know! I know this was an old post but I came here looking for the same answer!! This is driving me crazy!
I came here for the same exact answers!! I am experiencing the ankle swollen and bad burning sensation 24/7!! Have you gotten any relief? Have you found the cause? Thanks!!
Sounds more like a STD
PA (any B-12 deficiency) affects nerves.  So, yes, it can give you burning pain, similar to "diabetic nerve pain".  

Do you know your B-12 level?

Do you also have a thyroid condition?