Thyroid Disorders Community
hypothyroid will T3/T4 combo help me lose weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am hypothyroid currently on levothyroxine 200mcg, I do a lot of exercise, cycle 6 miles every day, swim twice a week and run 5 miles twice a week, I eat a low GI diet and try to only eat chocolate at weekends, but still I can't lose the extra 14 pounds I have gained since being diagnosed. I don't know what else to do to lose weight.
Do you think if I substituted 20mcg T4 for T3 this might help? My doctor is reluctant to prescribe T3 but I can buy it on the internet. Thanks for any advice.
I agree with Harttohart...don't take meds w/out your Dr's permission.  Also, thyroid meds should NEVER be used as a diet pill.  If you over-medicate, you will end up in the ER or worse.  

I have read stories from a quite a number of people who have switched from synthetic meds (Synthroid, Levothyroxine) to natural thyroid (Armour) and have lost weight.  If you think that's the route you want to take, you should definitely either convince your doctor to Rx it for you, or find another doctor.  Don't try to concoct your own dosage.
thanks for your reply, Do you know if armour is available in the UK? And what are the down points to taking it?
Before you switch how do you feel otherwise apart from the weight issue? What are your latest labs? You may not be converting sufficient T4 to T3.
You are unlikely to be prescribed Armour in the UK and certainly not on the NHS. You can buy it on the net. Not aware of any downsides it contains all thyroid hormones T1, T2, T3 and T4 and calcitonin. However, you need to dose up on it slowly to get used to the direct T3 in it. It is best not to go alone on this, take a look at the website below they will help you with Doctors and supplies. Good luck.

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

I am not a Doctor but have tried thyroxine, T3 and now on Armour.
MS Hashi: thanks for reply, my latest labs were TSH: 6.4 Free T4: 14 , I think the normal range is different between the UK and US, and also they don't measure T3 levels unless you ask specifically.
I would like to give the armour thyroid a try, but I will talk to my doctor first.
Apart from the weight gain I am always tired and have days where I can't think straight, but I do a lot of exercise so this could also be the reason for tiredness. I am not as tired as I was pre-diagnosis. I suffer from bouts of depression which I think armour might help.
If I was taking 200mcg levo-thryoxine, how much T3 should I take in combination? Did you feel any better on T4+T3?
And what dose of Armour do you take? thanks again.

Your TSH is way too high and more importantly your Free T4 is right at the bottom of the range. My guess then is that your active thyroid hormone Free T3 is also down in the dumps. My own experience of Cytomel was not good although I know it helps others. It is alledgedly 4/5 times the strength of thyroxine  ie 5mcg Cytomel = 20/25mcg T4. Armour works well for me and is popular but it does take some commitment. First, you need to find a good Doctor to work with you on it AND they are not easy to find. Second it takes a fair period to work your way up to the right dose as you can't switch like for like as you are not used to the direct T3. Most people also need to multi dose throughout the day. And lastly there's the question of supplies, unlikely to get it prescribed, you will probably have to buy it on the net. I've worked my way up to 2 grains (increasing half a grain every 3/4 weeks), most need 3-5 grains. If I was you, I would insist that your Doctor runs a Free T3 for your blood, post it here with ranges and then go from there. If your T3 is low you could do a 'trial' of Cytomel if he's willing to prescribe it. Good luck. I'm not a Doc, I speak from painful experience!
Yes Armour is available in the UK Here are some websites that might help

UK THYROID WEBSITES

www.tpa-uk.org.uk

www.armourinfo.freeuk.com

www.thyroidresearch.com

www.thyroiduk.org
I have been diagnosed with hypo. for over 10 years. It started with cold sweats and weight gain. I went to one of the top Endocrinologist's in  Canada who put me on Thyroxine (T4). Dosages adjusted over the months but nothing changed, my feeling cold in the morning, or the extra tire around my mid section. I decided to take an active approach and started back to the gym again. Weight gain came very easy, weight loss did not. My personal trainer asked if I was also on T3 to which I replied no. I went back to my Endo. specialist and asked him about T4-T3 combination and he advised in some patients it does help. Within 3 weeks I noticed I was not cold in the mornings and I felt better generally. When I moved to the UK the ENGLISH doctor would not give me T3 and said T4 is the best, more like, for the NHS its the cheapest. I have finally found a doctor in the UK who is not British who agree's that T3 combined with T4 can help. I am now on both in the UK and feel better. Push your doctor if you know this prescription could be right for you. Thyronine is the T3 prescribed to me and yes its available on the NHS
The correct spelling is Liothyronine otherwise known as Cytomel.