Thyroid Disorders Community
hypothyroidism and IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hypothyroidism and IVF

My husband and I did invitro fertilization last year and I miscarried at 11 weeks.  We are attempting again we are scheduled for Dec 11, I have been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have been on synthroid for about two months now my initial level was 4 then 7, since I have been on the synthroid 50mcg my level now is 3.14, my endocrinologist is increasing my dose to 75mcg.  My big concern is will I be at risk for miscarriage or not becoming pregnant with IVF if my TSH level is still in the 3 level?  I have been reading that the level should be below 2 to get pregnant and/or prevent miscarriage.  Should we continue with doing the IVF on Dec 11 or wait until my level is below 3?

I recommend that you should ask your doctor that question.

Two possibilities:-

1. you increase the thryoid meds and delay the IVF for 1 month, or
2. you increase the thyroid meds and proceed with the IVF.

I think that TSH of 3 is not that high.  But it still could be lower.  Have they tested FT3 and FT4.  Those are the ones that should be in the upper half of the reference range when planning for pregnancy.  Then these should be maintained at the upper end of the reference range during pregnancy.