Thyroid Disorders Community
hypothyroidism and diabetes type II

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hypothyroidism and diabetes type II

I am a 28 year old woman with hypothyroism.  My question is this.  Does having hypothyroidism put you at a higher risk to get diabetes II or other conditions?
Yes.

It puts you at a higher risk for many other conditions if it is not controlled properly.
My thyroid problem is controlled. Can I still be at risk for any conditions?
If you have certain antibodies and your immune system is trying to eliminate your thyroid, that is referred to as autoimmune thyroid disease.

Autoimmune hypothyroidism is called Hashimoto's. It is the most common form of hypothyroidism. It is diagnosed by running several different antibody tests and using the results as well as thyroid history to make a diagnosis.

IF you have an autoimmune thyroid condition, there is a chance you will develop other autoimmune conditions. It is not automatic, but it is not uncommon.

I'm not saying you have Hashimoto's or trying to diagnose you. I'm just saying it is worth the time to find out what tests have been run and what tests need to be run.

Hypothyroidism is a condition, not a diagnosis. You have a diagnosis when you know why you are hypothyroid, and there could be several reasons.

Your risk factors are unknown without a formal diagnosis.

Ask if you have been tested for TPOab, TGab, and TSI antibodies.
You are at a higher risk of developing other autoimmune diseases.  My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 10 and by age 11 had Hashimoto disease.  I believe at your age you would develop Type 1 Diabetes and not Type 2 if you developed anything at all. I am not a doctor but I have learned a few things and  Type 1 Diabetes is when the antibodies attack the pancreas just like it does with Hashimoto the antibodies attack the thyroid.  So you should always be screened closely and it's not just Diabetes many other autoimmune diseases.

Good Luck
She never said she had an autoimmune condition to begin with.

Telling her she is at risk for other autoimmune diseases is a bit premature.