hypothyroidism and hypoglycemia
I am a 41 year old female that has hypothyroidism and hypoglycemia and am trying to lose some weight, about 10 to 15 pounds. I take meds for my thyroid, watch what I eat and exercise 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hrs a day 5 times a week. I've tried following a low blood sugar diet and was able to lose about 4-5 lbs the first week, but for the next 5 weeks I lost nothing. This last week I went off the diet slightly and gained 2-3 lbs. back. Am I eating the wrong things? I have seen a few websites saying that iodine is important for the thyroid and that there are foods that make it difficult for absorption. I don't want to take diet pills or anything that will counteract my thyroid meds, but I am getting frustrated! Any help would be appreciated.
i have very serious problems with hypoglycemia when my labs are bad. now everything is ok but it will be back im sure. i ate almonds alot to keep floating- right after i would eat i would feel the hypoglycemia and its very hard to lost wt. when i started the t3 the weight came off. maybe you should try adding some t3 probably no more than 5mcg. if you add the t3 you will need your t4 refuced a little. before i added the t3 i had to wait until my labs got better tsh lower, ft3 higher and ft4 higher or the t3 will eat you alive.  what about an increase in your t4 now and then in a month add the t3- i know you will lose wt with the t3 med.  what are your labs and ranges hope this is not too confusing
I started out taking Levoxine? and was able to lose about 10 lbs. and did pretty well on it for awhile, then the symptoms came back and I had my levels checked and my dr. changed my meds to amour?. was on it for 2 months, dr checked levels and said they were okay.....have been on it for 2 more months, but symptoms are coming back....achy, cold and weight gain, shaky when blood sugar feels low. Do you take two meds at the same time? What about natural supplements? Thinking about going to a health food store.......hate taking any more meds than I have to.
You stated you were hypoglycemic but not clear if that means you are diabetic? Have you been tested with the Ha1c blood test? Fasting glucose.

As you know, hypoglycemia is an abnormally low level of blood sugar in your body. Blood sugar is our source of energy and by having too low of a blood sugar can certainly increase the chances of no weight loss and interfering with thyroid activity as well. My experience with thyroid medicines after changing to I don't know how many is that I didn't start to lose weight until I addressed my diabetes question.

I am Type II which means for me I am hyperglycemic or producing too much sugar. So on the other end of the spectrum I wasn't losing weight because I had too much sugar in my system.

Now that I have my diabetes under control I am able to better control my thyroid condition as well. Not sure if that works for everyone but I would certainly get with your doctor to discuss your hypoglycemia and if there are any treatments for this or at least a plan of action to address it.
I'm not diabetic (I have low blood sugar) and have not had a fasting test because my dr said that as long as what I was doing was working (i.e. staying away from white flour/high sugar and eating my snacks and keeping peanuts close at hand) there was no need to fast when I was already doing everying he would have told me anyway.....this was all before I found out I had hypothyroid.
Have you considered giving up Gluten? My daughter is now on a Gluten free diet and we are avoiding milk, sugar and peanuts.(2 weeks now) She seems to be doing better with blood sugar drops, cravings and bloating. It really is not as hard to do without these products as I thought it was going to be. I can see a big difference in her already. She is nine and born without a thyroid gland.