Thyroid Disorders Community
hypothyroidism and pcos

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hypothyroidism and pcos

Could you please tell me if all patients with pcos and hypothyroidism become overweight? I  have had pcos for about 4 years and I have just recently been diagnosed with having a mild case of hypothyroidism. I eat very healthy, exercise, and my weight has never been an issue. I was just alittle confused because most of the other woman I met who have pcos are over weight and some are having problems conceiving. I am a mother of 4.
Well, my my aren't you lucky?  Think you must be one of the few!  Wanna trade?  Yeah, I know, of course not.

Would guess it has something to do with how bad your PCOS is and how hypo you are.  Also your natural metabolism is a really big part of any weight issue.  If I was you I would just thank the Lord above that you are one of the very fortunate ones.
ty. what concerns me the most is gaining the weight because if I gain the weight then my chances of having heart disease and diabeties 2 will increase. My mother is very over weight and suffers from stage 2 heart failure.. She has had numerous heart surgeries. She also had pcos and tyroid problems but I can say she does not eat right nor does she exercise.
Sounds like you're going to be okay.  Doesn't sound like you need to worry about the weight issues right now.  Some day you may have to but I'd just be thankful I hadn't come to that bridge yet if I was you.  We can't all be so fortunate or have as good of a handle on our illnesses as you apparently do.

Also you said you have just been dx as mildly hypo.  Most of us have been through thryoid he// and back.  When you go through all that there is plenty of time that you can't even raise a hand to sneeze into much less exercise.  Also people who start out hyper, like I did, are told not to exercise or do anything the least bit strenuous b/c it sets off a thyroid storm that can kill you.

Sounds like your mom may have had a really bad thyroid problem.  Could be the reason for her heart failure to begin with.  Having thyroid issues damages all the tissues of your body.  Especially being hyper.

Consider yourself lucky yours was caught early and continue to enjoy a healthy life. :-)