Thyroid Disorders Community
i don't understand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

i don't understand

I received a call from my doctor saying my vitamin d levels are low. She did not give me the range. I have hypoparathyroidism due to surgery i take 50mcg's of calcitriol a day to mantain calcium level. She wants me to add another 25mcg's of calcitriol because my vitamin d is low. Does that sound right? Because i would think that the test she did would have to be specific looking at the active and inactive forms of vitamin d. I dont know what to do but i dont think she is right.. i think i should add regular vitamin d to my lifestyle cause i think thats what the test looks for?
I guess no one know either:(
I am sorry no one has responded, but that does not mean they will not, Try and re-phrase your post question regarding help with Parathyroidism, I don't know enough about parathyroid to help or answer your question. I do know that the majority of "Thyroid " sufferers have the additional problem with absorption of Vitamin D, I cannot add anything about calcium, I always thought, and I could be wrong that people with parathyroid issues were supposed to stay away from Vitamin D because it boosts calcium levels and that that had a negative effect on the condition? But don't rely on that because I am unsure, there are many educated members here that are a great help, so don't give up asking.  Best Regards FTB4
Thank you for your response i will rephrase:)
Vitamin D is often contraindicated with parathyroid issues.

If you haven't already, you might check out www.parathyroid.com
I have been trying to research everything i can find. It sometimes all runs together.lol the main focus i find is them talking about hyperparathyroidism. And i get conflicting advice from the doctors as well so it is hard to know what to do. It is sad that having your thyroid removed can potentially give you a whole other problem. Thank you for your help it is very appreciated
The only relationship between the thyroid and the parathyroids is their location in the body.  The parathyroids control the use of calcium in the body, which in turn controls electrical impulses; while the thyroid controls metabolism, heart rate, body temperature and other functions. So yes, having the thyroid out would present a whole different issue.

Yeah unfortunately it is a possibility in a thyroidectomy for the parathyroid to be damaged or removed. I still have all of them, i did have tetany in the hospital but survived on 9 calciums a day for 4 years till an event i ended up in the hospital and was put on calcitriol. So a very odd situation. But i have been cancer free for 12 years now so thats the good thing. Cause it could always be worse since the cancer did spread the lymphnodes