Thyroid Disorders Community
incision question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I used the new Bacitracin Ointment + Aloe Moisturizer built in .. it is great!  But don't use it for more than a week or so as the Bacitracin isn't necessary beyond that .. otherwise any aloe product that is moisturizing that doesn't sting is an idea ??

Cheryl

incision question

I was told that I could get my incision wet 24 hours after surgery.  I've taken a shower every day, and all seems fine, except it's really dry around it.  I didn't think to ask if there was any lotion or anything that I could put on it to help with the dryness and/or scarring.  Do any of you know if I can put anything on it yet, or should I wait until the 21st when I see the doc again?
Lori
when the dermabond starts coming off it looks like the area around the scar is dry and peeling. Could that be part of what your seeing?

Cheryl ~ They didn't give me, or recommend any kind of antibiotic cream.  I was a little concerned about that, but it doesn't seem to be red or itchy.  I was actually thinking something with aloe would feel good.  It feels kind of tight, but that's the glue pulling.

Dart ~ that's exactly what I'm seeing!!  I'm a "picker", and it's killing me to not pick at it!!  :-)  The stuff is wonderful, though.  It still amazes me that they sent me home with no dressing around it at all.  Not that I needed it - it looks really good as far as incisions go, that is!!

By the way, I'm drinking coffee this morning!!  Choking quite a bit, but at least I'm able to get some down!  It's been a WEEK since I had a cup.  But I notice that things don't taste quite the same as they did.  My caffeine free diet coke that I used to enjoy so much is not tasting quite as great as it used to.  Did this happen to you guys?
Do you have stitches or surgical glue?  I had glue and got mine wet right away and dabbed it dry.  After about 2 1/2 weeks, the glue all around it started to peel away and then I had just a pink line- no scab or anything.  I never used ointment.  As soon as I started to see it flake, I picked at it too :)  THis was almost 3 weeks after though, I would leave it alone..........
I had the glue, and really it looks great!!  Sounds like you're a fellow "picker", so I'm sure you know how hard it is for me to keep my hands off it!!  I'm leaving it alone, though.  From the looks of it, it's going to be a really faint line - like yours.  I'm so happy about that!!  Do you have the "speed bump" that they were talking about on here?
I was tempted to pick at mine and was told NO! The dermabond will come off when the wound no longer needs it. Pick pick picking at it might irritate it enough that it gets red and more itchy.

keep your hands away LOL
Yes I have the speed bump- but it has gotten better.  My surgeon said that it was a combination of surgery and RAI- they both caused swelling.  It is so much better, but not completely gone.  My glue just flaked off by itself- it would lift, so I trimmed the edges so it wouldn't "catch" on anything.  It looks the same as it did the first day the glue came off.  It's unbelievable how well it healed.  Patience....
yeah I picked at my too cause it had started to get itchey.the scar looks pretty good now that it has almost been a year since my surgery.Even the sternum scar is fading quite nicely.The drain scar kinda bugs me more thatn the tt and sternum scar.It looks like a big pimple.Ce la vie!
Love Venora
Okay, okay............I'm not going to pick, even though I'm tempted!!  Thanks!!!