Thyroid Disorders Community
increasing levothyroxine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

increasing levothyroxine

I have Hasimoto's disease and was given 50 mcg of Levothyroxine.  My numbers did not improve and the dr increased the dosage to 75 mcg.  Within a week and for 4 months I was an emotional, depressed, raging lunatic. I BEGGED to get a lower dosage and threatened to stop all together.  Dr reluctantly lowered the dosage and I feel normal but tired, tired ALL the time.  My next appt is coming up and know the dr will want to increase my dosage.  Is there anything else I can take or do?
Tags: Hasimoto, Hypothyroid, levothyroxine
Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges so that members can assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Do you now have any symptoms other than being tired?  Have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12, ferritin, and a full iron test panel?  If so, please post those as well, with ranges.  Also, have you been tested for adrenal function?  A good test for that is the 24 hour saliva, or urine, cortisol test.
I also have Hashimoto's for 20 yrs. Was on Synthroid 50 mcg but only taking 1/2 pill. The pharmacy changed  to levoththyroxine. I then began having symptoms with occassional heart palpitations, low blood pressure 100/60, and dizziness.  I started taking 1 whole pill and the heart palpitations went away completely.  Just had labs done.  Results are:
THS .45 ; T3, Total 103 ; Free T4 1.5.  Do you think I am on the right meds?  And is low BP and dizziness a symptom.
Before commenting further, please post the reference ranges shown on the lab report for those thyroid tests.  Also, have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12, ferritin, and a full iron test panel.  If so, please post those results and reference ranges as well.
No I haven't tested for any of those.
The ranges are
50-170 for the T3 Total =  my result 103
0.8 - 1.7 for Free T4 = my result 1.5
0.10 - 5.50 for THS = my result .45

Palpitations can occur with either hypo or hyper.  Patients also sometimes find that they tolerate some brands of meds better than others.  So if you have one that works, it is good to stick with it.  You are on the right meds and dosage if you have no symptoms.  that is what matters most, not test results.  

Beyond that this quote from a fellow member, Red_Star, prompted me to ask about those other tests.  This is info she provided in a prior thread.

"Low ferritin symptoms can mimic hypothyroidism.  Shortness of breath is also a symptom of low ferritin levels. 93% of patients with ferritin under 50 ng/ml were iron deficient on bone marrow examination. 91% of patients with ferritin over 100 ng/ml were iron replete on bone marrow examination.

Excessively low ferritin as well as low iron can resulting in hyper symptoms when raising desiccated thyroid (armour).  Severely low ferritin or iron can be improved quickly with iron injections or IV iron infusion - a few weeks as compared to a few months from iron supplementation.  

Your vitamin B12 is low (in Japan and Europe, the lower limit for B12 is between 500 - 550 pg/mL. Optimal B12 is over 800pg/mL).  Fatigue is the most common symptom of low vitamin B12 levels.

Vitamin D is insufficient (optimal around 80ng/mL). A major cause of muscle and joint pain is low vitamin D levels."

There is lots of info around that suggests that it is good to verify cortisol levels and ferritin levels before even starting on thyroid meds.  So, I always have a suspicion when patients have unexpected reactions to meds, that they need to do some further tests as mentioned.  
Sorry for hijacking your thread.  Please continue.
When on the 50mcg:
TSH 5.02
T3 95
T5 1.2

When on the 75mcg dosage:
TSH .59
T3 .99
T4 1.4

Vitamin D is low and am taking supplements along w/ V B-complex
Members will be better able to respond if you will post the reference ranges shown on the lab report for those results.