insomnia and the thyroid
Can radical changes in the tsh levels trigger a chemical imbalance in the brain leading to insomnia?  
I don't know what causes insomnia.  But I suffered with it 6 years after treatment.  Not before when I was hyper TSH.  I finally broke down and took prescription sleeping pills 4 days out of 7, for maybe a year - over the counter did't work for me. I haven't had the need for them in a few years. I  might have an occasional night, but I can live with it.  I think for whatever reason per thyroid, our brains gets out of whack that can effect certain parts of our system such as sleeping and BMs, etc. Then our system needs to be retrained to function properly again. Sleeping aids or wherever, is a great tool.

Work for me.  (for both)

GL
I have had insomnia for about 3 months now.  I had TT in Dec 06, RAI in Jan 07 and found out in full menopause at age 46.  Before TT was diagnosed with Graves and would wake up almost every night around 3 a.m., but would be able to go back to sleep most night.  I took Ambien for 1 month and would only get 1 or 2 hours of sleep total most nights. I asked my doc to switch me to Lunesta and have been on that for about 3 wks and it's working much better.  I still have some trouble going to sleep and wake up at least once each night but can go back to sleep.  Does anyone know how long most doc's will let you stay on sleeping pills. I'm on 150 mcgs of levothyroxine with makes me feel like I did when I had Graves.  Between feeling hyper all the time and menopause I don't forsee the insomnia going away any time soon.  My endo lowered my levo to 125 for a short while but my TSH went up, so I had to go back to 150.  The price I pay for cancer supression is a lot of sleepless nights I guess.