iodine induced hyperthyroidism
I developed hyperthyroidism as a result of being given 25 mg. of Iodine over several months. I read on this blog that after stopping the iodine supplements the thyroid hormone should level out in 4-6 weeks. Mine has not. I'm still hyperthyroid. Could it be due to my multi-nodular goiter? In order to stop it from making too much hormone do I need to use western medical treatment or are their other alternatives? I tested negative for Hashamoto (sp) or Graves disease. My TSH is .01 and my T4 & T3 is elavated. Has anyone tried acupuncture or other alternative treatments with success? Input would be appreciated. I am so bummed that I cannot exercise like I used to as my pulse goes up quickly. Another weird thing is happening besides all the usual hyper symptoms--when my is regular, my blood pressure goes up; when my pulse is high, my blood pressure goes down. What causes this?
Thanks!
Usually once iodine is out of the system , the levels should go down.
What antibody testing have you had done?
Also it may be that you have Thyroiditis and may take time to settle down as Iodine is well known in 'aggravating' the thyroid and can possibly cause damage.

Why any Doctor would prescribe Iodine on its own is beyond me.

Is there any chance that you may be suffering from panic disorder with the levels being up?

I think you would be best having a full check up with a CBC (complete blood count) as this would eliminate any problems and give you a clearer picture as to just what is causing these problems.

You are at risk if your levels stay high and other than taking an anti-thyroid med for a few weeks on yr Doctors advice...I think that you need a full checkup.

What was your FT3 and FT4 levels and ranges?
The iodine supplementation in endemic areas caused hyper when was given to older people with multinodular goiter.
Also, don't have my lab work with me but think T3 and T4 both were around 5.5.
Oops! My first resonse didn't post so here it is again. Getting complete blood draw again is a good idea,
All was fine in January. I was undergoing a lot of stress when hyper kicked in but I've been pretty relaxed since. Taking the Iodine was a bad decision. Wish I had done more research first but trusted this doc. Thanks for your comments.