is exercising safe?
I have not seen an endocronologist yet and all I've had so far is a thyroid ultrasound. Can I work out? Is that safe? I am taking 1/2 pill of proponol 3Z a day which they gave me in the ER.
well without more info I dont know if it is.I know I exercised right up to the day before my surgery.
Tell me more about your case.
Love Venora
If you are  hyper, which I presume from your handle that you are, its best to wait until your levels are in normal range for vigorous exercises like cardio.  Walking and yoga would be good i.e. light non-strainious exercises.

GL
GravesDiseaseAndRAI
take GL'S advice above plus avoid caffeine. I'm surprised u even feel like exercising if u are hyperthyroid.
Thanks guys! what would I do without you all.

I am hyper, but my heart rate doesn't usually go over 100bpm. I don't feel like exercising...but when I move a lot it takes away that crazy paniced feeling so emotionally I feel tons better. But you are all right I better just stick to my sit-ups and skip the jogging, power yoga and skipping rope. Only 4wks ago I loved to exercise...ofcourse I also thought all of this was from too much stress!

I know what you mean about checking your heart rate: people at work think I'm nuts. :)
jd2
p.s i dont know if excersising is safe or not - like i said - i got chest pains which couldnt be good and really scared me! and there were times i'd get dizzy and feel like i was gonna pass out which isnt good either.
jd2
im hypothyroid but was on too much medication and went hyper for a while. although probably not as hyper as a lot of other people!
there were some days i was too hyper to walk up the stairs.
other days i went to the gym, but found that if i pushed myself i would get chest pain (on the left side where my heart is - very scary!!), or would feel my heart thumping too fast. i also found that if i pushed myself my muscles would cramp up.

if you are gonna excersize anyway you could try monitoring your heart rate. work out your max heart rate (not sure what it is but im sure it'll be on the internet somewhere), and dont go over it! and stop if you feel chest pain, dizziness, fatigue, cramps, palpitations etc...
i was getting a heart rate of over 200 from running for 1min and my doc said this was bad and i shouldnt excersize. so i walked instead (and my heart rate stayed around 160). the guys at the gym used to tease me about checking my pulse all the time but i just ignored them.

oh yeah i dont think you're sposed to excersize at your max heart rate either, so you'd wanna stay a bit below it.

check out this website: http://www.schworak.com/tools/heartrate.asp
not sure if its right, i thought calculating max heart rate involved resting heart rate but i guess its a guide.
if you calculate it yourself, dont use your resting heart rate if your hyper! a normal persons resting heart rate's probly round 60.

but basically im not saying if its ok to excersize or not. you'd be much better off asking your doctor!!
When my endo recently upped my levothyroxine form 125 to 150, my heart rate and blood pressure went up.  I felt a constant churning inside.  I have  a wrist cup to take bp and heart rate and while I was on 150, my heart rate ranged form high 80's to 110.  My bp was in the 130's over 90's usually.  Before all my thyroid problems (had TT in Dec 06) my normal bp was usually around 117/73-ish.  Walking up 2 flights of stairs and I felt like I had run a marathon.  I've been on 125 for about 5 days now and feel much better.  BP and heart rate still a little high but have gone down alot.  I don't feel that churning inside all the time, just occasionally.  I used to work out 6 days a week at Curves prior to TT.  Since then, I can count on one hand how many times I've worked out.  I just didn't feel like exercising when my heart rate was so high.  I was also scared to exercise.  Now that I'm feeling better, I'm going to try for a few days this week and gradually increase the number of workouts per week.  One of the worst things since my TT is my weight gain.  In the 1 1/2 yrs prior to TT I lost 35 lbs and have gained at least 15-20 lbs back in the last 4 months.  It frustrates me not feeling like working out like I use to.  Healing from thyca and RAI is definitely a slow process.