Thyroid Disorders Community
is it really necessary to take thyroid meds same time every day?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I read that you should take your thyroid medicine the same time every day. now Im sure this is so sthat you get a consistent supply without a lapse in the medicine your body gets. However, I am on armour and I started splitting my doses into thirds so I have a more consistent supply of energy from the T3 threw out the day. Hers what im wondering tho, if T4 accumulates in your body and is converted as needed, and t3 is instantly active and available and only lasts 9 hours tops but anywhere from 4-6 on average, Im wondering is it REALLY necessary to take it at the EXACT same time every day? if your labs and th level show great numbers then couldent you take it "within" the same time each day. I have different work hours so I wake up at different times, and I sometimes take my spit dose of thyroid meds at different times during the day, however there all within a hour or 2 of the usual time, I just gie or take depending on my energy level. before you comment, what sound scientific evidence is their that taking it at the same time every day is the most effective way?
No, it's not necessary to take it at the same time every day.  Whatever works for you is acceptable.

T4 you definitely do not have to take at exactly the same time every day.  In fact, I read an article a while back that said that most people could probably take T4 meds once a week (at 7 times the daily dose) due to the long half-life of T4.  Not something I'd want to try, personally, but I can accept the concept in theory.

If you feel good taking it the way you're taking it, I wouldn't give it a second thought...
thnk you for your input.
It should be within a normal range for you. For example, you normally wake at 7am to go to work and take it then, then you go on holiday and sleep in till 10am, no biggie, just take it when you wake up.
It is best to take it regularly at a set time but as long as it is not say, 7am one day then 1pm the next day then 11am the next etc. The hormone is generally best absorbed in the morning so your body can go about its business. Chopping and changing it all over the place is not ideal as we need it to be a regular dosing to try to regulate our bodies.
A few hours off here or there is no big issue though. If you are like me, and have no set regular getting up time, just as soon as you wake up is fine.

As goolarra says you could take it a weeks worth in one hit but not advisable. You will then get a spike and feel a bit 'funny' and if you are super sensitive like me, then it's 'funny farm feeling'!

So take it when you can but not all over the place in times.
Cheers!
Oh BTW, I meant to say, DO NOT EVER take a 7 day dose of T3 in one hit, you WILL end up in ER! Only T4 is suited to this one off dosage.
I wasn't suggesting anyone take their T4 on a once a week basis.  I'm very sensitive, too, and it sounds like my idea of he//.  I was just using it to illustrate a point.
I have been taking thyroid meds for several years.  When I was told to take my pill the same time every day my symptoms declined and I felt much better. It is not that difficult.  If I do not get up at the time I am suppose to take my thyroid pill my husband comes to my bed and gives me my thyroid pill and I go back to sleep. I think it would be very dangerous to take several pills in one day.
As I said, I was quoting from an article I had read, and while I can agree with the author (a doctor, BTW) in concept, I also added "Not something I'd want to try, personally...".

I think you're making this a lot more precise than it has to be.  Would I take my meds at vastly different times of day?  No.  However, I think "first thing in the morning" can be interpreted as "when you wake up", and the exact hour, due to the long half life of T4, is relatively unimportant.  An hour or two here or there is not going to change anything.  

It's been accepted practice for years to achieve incremental increases in meds by taking an extra pill or half or quarter once a week or twice a week.  In the end, how you take your meds isn't important as long as you  feel well doing it the way you're doing it.