Thyroid Disorders Community
itchy neck/throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

itchy neck/throat

I have an underactive thyroid which was diagnosed about a year ago. Although i have had the symptons for many years and have been to my gp many times, my gp failed to diagnose. i am currently taking 100 micrograms of levothyroxine tablet daily ( i have had up to 150 mg daily ).

However, for many years, i have had a problem with my throat/neck. It continously itches in my throat and  on my neck as well, basically in the same place inside out. I take antihystermies and moisturise as much as possible to stop myself from scratching all the time. As a result, my neck is turning a darker shade as result of the continous scratching.

I would also like to add that i do not wear any jewellery/perfume around my neck because i though that it might have contributed to my problem.

I thought that this problem might have been as a result of the thyroid and have discussed this with my gp many a time but he shrugs it off as 'nothing' but it is bothering me a lot and i tend to cover up as lot with make up to hide it.

What can be the cause of this ittchiness?? Is it related to thyroid?  I have read your pages on thyroid and have not found anything on this subject.

Please help
Is it itching outside our tickling your throat in the same spot? do you have to clear your throat? is the area raised?