Thyroid Disorders Community
levothyroxine and hip pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

levothyroxine and hip pain

Can Levothyroxine cause hip/joint pains, problems?
Hi, Im not too sure about the levothyroxine, but if you levels are off, it can cause that pain.  I too have been dealing with this issue for quite a while.  I too take the levothyroxine.  :)
If your T3, measured by the Free T3 test, is low but 'in range', you can have muscle and joint pain. This pain usually subsides when Free T3 levels are in the upper third of the range - many have noted this.

Levo is a synthetic T4 med, but if you are on too low a dose, or dont convert T4 to T3 efficiently, this could be the cause.

If you had free T3 tested, post the results with the range used by the lab for some experienced interpretation.

Do you have other hypo symptoms as well?

If you levels are good (again please post) but hypo symptoms still persist, try another brand of T4 med. The new one is a gel tab only T4 - Tirosent (spelling), works wonders but you take less of it.

Last step - If that still doesn't relieve hypo symptoms, then try natural dessicated thyroid med with T3 and T4 combined, such as Armour, Nature Throid of Erfa from Canada (the best)..
I just started taking levothyroxine at the end of August..At that time my TSH was 4.95. I have had hashimoto for the past 10 years and after my TSH levels were consistanly high on my last 3 blood test the Endo told me that I am starting to stay Hypo, and so I started on .50 levothyroxine.. Towards the end of Sept. i started getting pain in my left hip, which got so severe by Oct. that i went to an Orthopedic who said I had bursitis. after taking anti inflamitory for a month with no relief, i went back and got cortisone injections in left hip, that didn't really help either, and then it started moving to the right hip also, got MRI and it says bursitis in both hips, and fluid build up..My endo has never run T3 tests..But my appt with him is next week and I will tell him I want t3 and t4 test besides TSH.. I have stopped the levothyroxine for this past week and my hips are really feeling alot better..so I am thinking it has something to do with that med.
Well,, unfortunately if you stopped the med recently, and plan on thyroid testing next week, the levels will be relatively useless, very inaccurate.

If you resume meds and retest in the future (on another brand maybe?) , tests are only accurate after about 5-6 weeks minimum from starting meds. Free T 3 and Free T4 (what you need) are not the same as just T3 , T4, or total T3.

I've had bursitis in the hip / glutes area when hypo. Myfacial muscle release  or 'trigger point muscle release' (goggle it) while laying on a tennis ball for 15-20 sec at hip on the floor relieves it after a week or so, 2x per day.