levothyroxine sublingually
can i take my levothyroxine sublingually . if so does this illiminate  or shorten the waiting period for eating or taking other meds
I remember the same question a while back. In theory it should work, but Levo does not dissolve in the mouth very well, it just 'sits' there.
Hi, thank you for your response. I just found this website today.I will look further back in the posts. Your right the levo as a whole pill doesnt disolve well . I actually tried it by kinda breaking it up with my teeth and then let it sit under my tongue, Its not as bitter as some meds are, its tolerable.Kinda sweet. Wasnt sure if it was safe this way or efective.
As far as i know Levo should be taken with water to get the full benefits, Take an hour before food and drinks or three hours after :) But be consistent in what you do ...
NO - this is not a med that dissolves well at all sublingually. I heard some chew it but no good results come of that either.

its a total conversion hormone synthetic medication and created specially to be friendly with the GI track swollowing the med.
I thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one.
Just thought I'd mention my experience of taking thyroxine sublingually.

I've been on levothyroxine (Euthyrox) for over a year now, and I was doing well up until about 5 or 6 weeks ago.

So reading that people with thyroid issues are more likely to have an absorption issue due to low stomach acid, I decided to check my vitamin/mineral levels along with my hormone levels and although I'm 'in range' for Hypo, I'm still very hypo.

My B12, D3 and Ferritin/Iron levels are low, especially B12.

I've been taking my temperature as shown in STTM for 14 days, and it has been low the whole time - as low as 35.6 but I haven't felt cold at all.
But since taking my Euthyrox my temps have risen and I've had a couple of normal readings to the point where I would be considered now hypo.

So I believe that taking the pill sublingually is better.
I break the pill into quarters and leave it to dissolve under my tongue as I go back to sleep for an hour, and it all goes no problem.

Nikki
I have been dissolving my 150 mcg Levothyroxine under my tongue for a few days now and it seems to be doing well. I have no trouble at all getting it to dissolve, it breaks down rather quickly and has a bit of a sweet taste to it. I do feel it going to work in my system immediately, but have also heard that the molecules in the Levothyroxine are too big to pass through the membrane under my tongue.  I do like taking it this way and as I have stated, I feel it going to work in my system very quickly. I would love to hear other points of view regarding this topic.
Levothyroxine is a T4 medication and doesn't go to work in your system as soon as you take it, like T3 medication does.  T4 medication builds over time, so the medication in your blood now is that which you took a week or so ago.

Additionally, T4 is a storage hormone and your cells don't use it, directly.  It has to be converted to T3 prior to use.  You won't feel this happening in your body.