Thyroid Disorders Community
liver enzymes and hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

liver enzymes and hypothyroidism

Has anyone here ever had trouble with elevated liver enzymes? I ended up in the ER last night with right side pain. I had my gallbladder out in may. The dr. said my liver enzymes were elevated but didnt seem worried about it. Anyway the reason i am asking although it sounds like a gastro question is that ive been looking around and it says that hypothyroidism can cause that to happen. I was just wondering if anyone else on here has had that happen to them. Of course i have severe anxiety anyway and ocd so now this is worrying me to death. ...thanks guys for any response...
I have never had anything like that. I know Barb135 has though. Perhaps she might answer you soon.
Sure your liver enzymes can go off the charts if your thyroid levels are not correct. Cholestrol too.

I explain it as something like a pollutant happening. When  organs all have too much and/or too little hormone in the cells this can be an issue.
I had elevated liver enzymes while on anti-thyroid meds which resulted in hypo.
The levels have to be in the 1000's to be dangerous.

There are a few medications that can affect the liver.
Most dont know that the simple penicillin can cause liver enzymes to rise too.

After I had RAI (radioactive iodine ) to ablate the thyroid for Graves Disease/Hyperthyroidism...my liver enzymes went back to normal within weeks.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers. Every since my dr. increased my levo i havent felt good for a while. I have appointment with Endo on the 29th. Thanks again.
Mine were elevated when I was severly hyper.
I thought about that since ive been on an increase of levo for ten weeks now because i have been having hypo and hyper symptoms at times..ive been having chronic diarrhea for weeks but then again i just wanna stay in bed all the time. I need to just have my thyroid levels rechecked. Thanks for the answers.
My liver enzymes fluctuate above the reference range month to month year to year. I recently pulled a records request for ALL my labs over the last 10 years and discovered that my ALT/ AST tends to stay on the high side of the range and sometimes goes over. I think it is due to my high cholesterol (fatty liver) although I do know that different meds and even supplements can cause elevation. I am certain the hypothyroidism also affects liver enzymes since the liver has something to do with T4. (cannot remember the details) I was referred to a gastroenterologist because recent blood work came back with enzymes a bit high. You know what I think? I think its nothing! I think its NORMAL based on my records. The rheumatologist who referred me has NO understanding of thyroid disease. I will be interested to find out if the gastroenterologist does! These doctors have "specialities" but cannot see the body as a "whole" organism - they have SO little understanding of the body as a whole - they can only treat ONE part of the system and then you get sent to a dozen doctors for each body part!
My liver enzymes were SGOT/AST 68 (Range 0-32) SGPT/ALT 74 (Range 0-33) They have been lower than this and other times higher than this. In Jan 2001 my ALT was 93. Three months in April 2001 it was 35. In Feb 2003 my ALT was 27. In Sept 2004 it was 23. Dec 2008 it was 64. April 2010 39. Oct 2010 74.
It fluctuates based on what you eat, what you drink, the medicine you take. I had some minor surgery about 3 weeeks ago and tool Lortab with acetominophen for pain - that can raise liver enzymes.
But now I am referred to a gastroenterologist...and I will go because...I might as well see what he has to share about autoimmuine diseases....because I have hashis.