loss of voice due to thyroid
my sister lost her voice in July 2008 and since then, she speaks in whispers. she has been seeing different doctors and while some say that she should undergo surgery, others say that surgery does not guarantee that her voice will come back. still, she is told she will have to take medicine for life after surgery.  one doctor says her voice got lost because her vocal codes were subjected to acid.  she has recently had her daily dose reduced and advised that if the levels do not go down, then she will have to undergo surgery.

Will her voice be restored?
Does she have to take medicine for life?
She is breestfeeding a 2 yr old girl, will she be affected by the medication she is taking?

This discussion is related to Recent loss of voice and Hashimoto's.
What kind of med is she taking?  Is it for thyroid condition?
Is she being treated for GERD?  If there is acid in her throat, she probably has GERD and the acid is coming up.  This is serious, she should see an ENT.  I had a hoarse voice, but my cause was thyroid cancer, my vocal chords were fine.  If she does have GERD, is she sleeping elevated?  This can keep the acid down, also she should not drink too much liquid at night, if she is breast feeding, I am sure her liquid intake is higher, but at night when she lays down, she should not drink anything.  Sounds like the surgery is the one that prevents the acid from coming up, this surgery is important because there is a higher incidence of throat cancer in those who have acid reflux (GERD).  I hope this helps.