Thyroid Disorders Community
low TSH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

low TSH

My TSH was a .12 last check and my Dr decreased my 100 mcg of synthroid to .75. I am wondering if this is still too much? I cant get tested for 2 more weeks. has anyone had too low of TSH? Did you have to increase by a lot or a little to get within range (1-2.5)?
Why do you really want to get TSH in range?   TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it is totally inadequate as the sole diagnostic for thyroid .  At best it is an indicator to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  Of these Free t3 is the most important because FT3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have also shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH did not correlate.

Hypo patients taking thyroid medication frequently find that their TSH becomes suppressed.  This does not mean that you are hyper, unless you really do have hyper symptoms due to excessive levels of FT3 and FT4.  For example, while taking a full daily replacement dose of T4, of 200 mcg,  my TSH has been about .05 for well over 25 years without ever having hyper symptoms.  In fact I had lingering hypo symptoms until I found this Forum and learned about the importance of FT3.  Mine ws then checked and found low in the range.  My mes were switched to a T4/T3 combo, and my FT34 is now 3.9 (range of 2.3 - 4.2) and FT4 is .84 (range of .60 - 1.50), and I feel best ever.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free t4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with from a distance.  The letter is sent to the PCP of the patient to help guide treatment.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf
I meant to also mention that TSH causes no symptoms.  It is only an implied value for thyroid levels.  In actuality there is no scientific data that will show that TSH correlates well with either Free T3 or Free T4, much less with the most important thing, which is symptoms.