Thyroid Disorders Community
melatonin and thyroid replacement
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

melatonin and thyroid replacement

I have been taking armour thyroid for about five years now for hypothyroidism--I am 39.  I take it at night before bed (at least two hours after dinner) as it seems to help with getting up in the morning.  I recently started taking melatonin before bed and I am now having hot flashes.  I had these initially when I first started taking thyroid (I think it had more to do with my metabolism and heat regulation actually working or trying to work right).  I was wondering if melatonin needs to be taken one hour or four hours after my thyroid pill or not at all.  I take a mulitvitamin, iodine and a thyroid support vitamin in the morning and I have to take these four hours after my thyroid pills.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi. I cannot answer all the questions you asked, but my doctor told me to stay away from vitamins with iron and iodine in them. I take a woman's vitamin from GNC that doesn't contain these. As far as melatonin, you will need to ask your doctor. It is rare that you would be advised to take your thyroid medicine at night, but if it's working out better for you this way-great. Talk to your doctor about the melatonin. It could have an effect on your Armour.
Good luck-
Karly
Blank
209384_tn?1231171906
If you have an autoimmune disease you shouldn't take melatonin according to the warning on the back.  If you have an AI disease you need to ask your dr first.
Blank
213044_tn?1236531060
Uh, thanks, Dac.

I have been taking it for the last month to help me sleep. :(

"Consult your physician before using ifyou have an autoimmune condition, depressive disorder, or if you are pregnant..."

My GP told me to take it!

Now, whether lyngirl has Hashimoto's, I cannot say, but I sure do.
Blank
I don't have Hashimoto's or Grave's or anything I know of.  Just a lazy thyroid.  But I test low if i'm not taking my thyroid.  So, I'm wondering if the heat thing is a normal side effect of taking thyroid, or am I starting menopause.  Because they're all hormones and they're all related.
Blank
209384_tn?1231171906
Well, your dr told you to take it, so you consulted with him.  Am sure it is fine.  :-)  As long as you're not pregnant that is.  ;-}{
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank