Thyroid Disorders Community
menstrual cycle shortening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

menstrual cycle shortening

Over the past several months (since about July – a month or two after I started on levothyroxine) I've noticed that my menstrual cycle is about a week shorter than it used to be.  It was about 36 days before, but now it seems to be about 28 days at most - if anything it's getting shorter; not going back to the way it was before.  Does anyone know if this is normal / related to hypothyroidism?  I am 31 years old.

Thank you.
Funny you should mention this. I am dealing with cycle problems as well. Mine started in Dec.; I had a cycle on Dec. 3, (3-4 days) Dec 22 (3-4 days) and Jan 6 (still on it, day 11). This is not normal for me....

My dr. thinks it is due to thyroid dosage change or menopaus, but I am not so sure. I am 38 though. But I have always had thyroid dosage changes, and this has never happened, yes my ovaries hurt. I did make an appt. with gyno dr, but not until Feb. I did call my PCP about still on the 3rd cycle all she said is that it will eventually end. Needless to say, I was not happy with that answer....
day 11!  You must not be so happy!

I am unsure whether I should say anything about this to my doctor; it's not really a problem for me, other than being kind of annoying...
I am 43 and going through alot of cycle changes too. It does have alot with balancing  thyroid hormone - but it does go a bit deeper than just that too.

Facing hypothyroidism your body is adjusting to changes going on in the system - other things are changing too - some good some bad. Perimenopause is very common naturally to start in mild forms in a woman reaching past her 40's and lingering for years before it becomes full blown.

When hypothyroid - the process becomes sooner for some. Finding a doctor who can deliver results of a hormone panel and work with you can be a different story. Most doctors will say you are in normal ranges on your FSH - estrogen - progesterone and Testasterone levels but in fact you might be off a hair or more on ONE specific hormone throwing you cycles off and mocking symptoms of hypothyroidism entirely.

I don't know what advice you can get - except finding a doctor who looks directly at the symptoms and works with you to balance out. I was fortunate enough to find a doctor that does this and found I was estrogen dominant. My levels of progesterone were low and my female hormones were not working to keep me healthy - along with remaining hypothyroid for so long and was left very ill.

Getting on progesterone was not as easy as "Just that" either. After I began the Rx cream I started having adult acne break outs and my periods were coming closer together and very heavy. I was calmer inside and not so anxious - but I looked like a zit factory.

I am still working on a bio identical hormone balance that is completely right for me. This can be another long process - just like thyroid and adrenals were.

I just started on synthroid in April and have had very irregular and shorter cycles since then. One month my cycle is 25 days, the next it's 29 days. I used to never have a cycle of less than 28 days. It's rather disturbing since I'm trying to get pregnant after 2 miscarriages. Have you had any luck finding out more info about your changing cycle and the relation to hypothyroidism? Incidentally, I'm almost 38.
Since I went hypo earlier this year, I have noticed that my period cycle is a week earlier each time now too. Used to be on the knocker of a particular day, could almost even tell you the time it would arrive! Now it is almost exactly 3 weeks to the day each one starts. So makes getting PMS a really big drag.
When I was Hypo years ago the very same thing happened. I was not on any medication for thyroid back then, so seeing the same thing happening now and being on meds, I can say it isn't the medication, but rather, the hypo state.
maybe I should mention that I went through early menopause and finished it at 46 years of age...although I was diagnosed at the start of it at the age of 36.
I went for testing last year and my Doc told me I had finished the menopause 3 years prior !
So basically I was going through it while having Graves Disease and never connected the two.

My menstrual cycle was irregular to start with ...sometimes 2 a month, then sometimes none for 3 months then after 2 years I went 11 months without a cycle.
Then finally 12 months without a cycle.
It has been 3 years now since I last had a menstrual cycle and blood tests confirmed I was Post Menopausal.

Graves and Hashis are well known for interfering with womens cycles and early menopause.
Graves Disease stopped my cycles for the last 3 years.  I was told the Graves basically through me into full blown menopause.  I have recently started spotting again though and having sore breasts and light cramps.  Going in to see my OB/GYN soon.  I still have my thyroid.  They thought it was destroyed with the radioactive iodine but it grew back and now it produces hormone again but sometimes it stops.  I am constantly having to adjust thyroid medicine.