Thyroid Disorders Community
might sound stupid but

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

might sound stupid but

I know this might sound stupid but I decided to ask you all if you have ever felt like your tongue was too large in your mouth.  There are some days that I have felt that way, today being one of them.  My back teeth actually rub my tongue.  I still have the white tongue and food allergies that at this time I am not doing anything about because I have not found a doctor to go to that will help.  I have been trying to reach one that is about 100 miles away and he hasn't called me back yet.  I don't know if this is just my imagination or what.  What do you think, am I crazy or what?  Linda
I'm not sure on a connection but what state are you in .. maybe we can recommend a top notch allergist for you?  I had sores on my tongue for 3 mos straight that I thought were from meds I am on for my ankle but they disappeared so I think stress/food allergies/ or virus but finally gone.

Tongue has many glands in it .. I have had them swell in response to virus .. not saying that is the case with you, but wanted to share it with you.

I know this sounds weird but on higher dosing of Synthroid I found I had a nervous habit of moving my tongue around my mouth and being aware of its presence and it annoyed me ... I know another person on this board who tends to chew her tongue ?  Maybe anxiety related ?  Don't know but on the lower dose of Synthroid it is gone and so are the sores which in my case may be related to chewing the tongue and moving it around too much?

Cheryl

Thanks for your comments.  I am presently hypo with 6.7 tsh.  I was upset after I posted that question but it has been bothering me and I decided to find out if anybody else had this.  I think you are right that it is food allergies as yesterday we went to Gettsyburg, Pa. and ate out 2 meals and junk inbetween so that is probably what happened.  It is a really weird thing to feel like your tongue is swollen.  I am on levothyroxin (levothyroxine) 37.5 mcg.  I am very sensitive to the hormone and also just before my thyroid went out of control I was diagnosed with all kinds of food allergies and really didn't have a chance to do much about it.  I am ready to check into this more as I am feeling so much better most days.  I still have some fatique and mind fog at times but praise the Lord I am better.  Thank you for taking the time to answer me, it helped.   lol Linda    NOTE:   I just reread your post before I posted this and realized you meant what State not hypo or hyper.  I am in Maryland around Baltimore.   thanks again.l  linda
I have read that a thick tongue is one of the symptoms of hypo.

found this as one of the hypo symptoms on this website:
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/diagnosiswoliner.htm
"Thick tongue with “scalloping" of the tongue (caused by edema and swelling of the tongue squeezing it against your teeth making teeth marks around the tongue’s edge)"

hope that helps you!

I had to jump in here - I had this for years before being diagnosed hypo - thick tongue, scalloped edges, white film and huge fleshy sores in my mouth - it was so bad after birth of 2nd child I would spit when I talked because tongue was so enlarged - now okay but was still getting sores in my mouth and my periodontist recommended taking Lysine - a supplement for immune system - they are very much smaller now and not painful - what a fabulous find! The large tongue thing is definitly sign of hypo - wish you luck!
Boy at least I'm not crazy.   I will check into the Lysine.  It is not real bad but enough that I noticed it.  Of course the white tongue is noticeable.  Do you have any trouble going to the dentist.  I haven't gone since this happened as I thought I had that (can't remember what it is called) and it is contagious.  This is not fun nor is it funny but I'm laughing - what else to do.  These are the goofyist symptoms I have ever heard of.   Thank you all for the comments, they really help.   lol and laughing, Linda