Thyroid Disorders Community
missing thyroid a reason to be declared disabled?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My grandson who is now 21 yrs of age was born without a thyroid and has been on meds since shortly after his birth.  He has been plagued with mood, memory and other problems for many years.  Slow moviing, angry with himself and others.  Cannot remember things accurately a whole host of things--he does n ot drive and has not been able to pass a drivers written test due to what weems to be test anxiety--he cannot hold f a job for long because of these issues.  He takes meds but his parents are not financially able to help with proper tests.  What help is available?  Can he be dclared disabled--even partially--and get wome government assistance?
Did he suffer development problems from not having a thyroid, when he was in the womb? Has he always had development problems? You would need to seek out medical and pychological assistance and advice on this. Sounds like that is what i would do. Only drs can determine health and mental disabilities, and then can lead you in the proper direction of gov't departments that can help. Good luck.
I know of one person who sought out disability for his thyroid problem. I do believe he recieved assistance but it took forever and he was denied a couple of times in the beginning.

If I remember right - you need to get the doctor to help you - then you need to go forward with applying for it.
I applied for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder disabilty and got it....then I had my thyroid out due to cancer and they allowed me to change the type of benefit I get. They were going to take me off Disability as I seemed to have got better, then the cancer came and I now have no thyroid and cannot hold a job, either.
I live in Australia and it is difficult to get Disability normally, but for me they made a special exception.
I worked for Centrelink here in Oz for many years and as time has gone on, it is very hard to get disability here.
Basically you have to be terminal to get it here (Redhead is correct in her statement about it being hard to get it).
Even Post Traumatic Stress Disorders doesnt always qualify for it here.
Keep trying as in the end you will win.....
Secret to getting a disablity pension is showing the 'mental health' of a person (you didnt hear that from me either lol ) shhhh
to all:  thanks very much for your responses.  My grandson has always had developmental problems, but my daughter who lived in another state until a couple of years ago and then moved to oregon where they now live, never applied for disabilisty for him because of the stigma that she believed to be attached to the word "disabled"--she wanted him to grow up "normally."--whatever that means.  They also were financially able to pay for his meds at that time.  Now at 21 he is beginning to realize that he is not well and doesn't know what to do about it.  Thanks again and any other advice you have would be very appreciated and welcome.
And I hate to say this, but you might consult with a lawyer.  First consult is usually free and then they settle for a percentage of first payment or some such thing....I suppose they are all different, so don't quote me on that.  My brother had to go thru bankruptcy and that lawyer assured him it would go faster.  So of course, John is trying to go it alone and is not getting anywhere.  He has heart issues and leukemia and he's a vet.  So I'd say medical help and possibly a lawyer.  
Wow you guys really have it hard in the states to get disability!
Theres no way on this earth you would need a Lawyer to get it here.
Though they can put you through the ringer before they decide to give it to you here.
Dont back down, he needs some form of medical help and if disability will do that for him, then so be it.
As far as I know missing a thyroid is not in itself sufficient to be found disabled under SS rules. You can find their rules on SS website. If he can prove that he is unable to work due to his emotional, developmental, or health problems then he may be found disabled. I would encourage him to first apply at the local SS office. He should include all of those things in his application that make it difficult for him to keep a job and supply all of his medical records. Most applicants are denied  first time around so he will most likely  need to appeal.  There may be a local health clinic that has free services where he may be evaluated.