Thyroid Disorders Community
orbital decompression surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

orbital decompression surgery

I'm schelduled to have orbital decompression surgery with a octoplastic surgeon Craig Berris CA in March, I read some responces about post surgery details.  My eyes at 27&25 levels and was told he could have them go back around 3 mm.  Do not have double vision now, which  was told would lower any risks of future vision problems.  Can anyone tell me about their experience?
Thank you,
Tanya
I had orbital decompression surgery (bony decompression of the floor of the eye socket) and lower lid retraction correction on both eyes last March.  I had my upper lid retraction repaired and fat decompression (both eyes) in November.  I had about 4 mm reduction in proptosis on the first surgery for both eyes.  I won't know until March when I return to the surgeon for the second follow up how many more mm my eyes moved in.  Neither surgery was painful (much at all!), I had no problems.

I am so pleased I did the surgery, I have had absolutely no problems with my eyes since the second surgery.  No more eye drops, night gels or waking up with my eyes stuck shut.  

It took a lot more time for the swelling to go down than I expected or wanted.  However, my surgeon sure knows his stuff, everything he told me would happen turned out to be true.  

I hope you have equally fine success with your surgery.  Good luck.
Does anyone have any before and after pictures?
I have been blogging my experience with Graves, including monthly photos. I will undergo the decompression surgery this week, and will post my after photos, experiences, etc.

http://thyroidinfo.wordpress.com
hi all

I have been all over the internet looking for people that have hyperthyrodism.After reading most of the posting here i am more hopeful i thought there was nothing i could of done to fix my eyes .I got diagnosed about 3 years ago  when i just started college and i have been on tapazole ever since.Unlike some hyperthyroid cases i am only affected in one eye,i don't have the double vision yet but i have noticed some fat deposit in the corner of my eyes.I use to have medicare to help me take care of the expenses now i am being denied so i am yet to see a endocrinalogist.. money is so tight.My husband is canadian so right now he is working on me getting my documents for canada so i can get my health card to go see an endocrinalogist.I use to like to take pictures now i hardly take out any because one eye looks asleep while the other looks surprise.My drivers license is a hot mess when ever i show it for ID purposed people always do a double look at me.Also i find my eyes aren't tolerant to cold or sun so i wear huge shades to keep out those elements.Is it happening to anyone else?
Had my first orbital decompression surgery in Nov of 09, due to my thyroid condition. My left eye was worse so they did that one first, it was a 3wall. After I grew a bubble in the inner outer corner of my left eye, can be painful at time and some time I don't feel it at al,l but I am constantly using eye drops. When I went to back to Doc and he measured my left eye, it was protruding again. Went in for my right eye April 2010. Surgery went great, had a bit of double vision after but completely went away. Right eye is now completely healed have no issue with it at all. Left eye still has the bubble in it and it just will not go away. Strangest thing too, I can feel my tears come on the side of my head before they even come to my eyes. Anyone else have this happen?
Anyone who's a bleeder who's had OD?
Hello!

I'm going to have the Orbital Decompression surgery, but I'm afraid of the post surgery difficulties.  Who is your doctor?
Yes, I have the tearing of my eyes from the corners opposite of the tear ducts especially at night when I'm in bed reading. It still happens even after my OD surgery.
You've attached to a very old thread, and none of the posters are active on the forum any more.  You might want to post a new thread of your own, to see if any current members have the same situation you do.

You can post a new thread, by clicking the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of the page, type your question, then hit the green "Post a Comment" button.