Thyroid Disorders Community
pain in throat from outside around voice box & tongue seems a littl...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

pain in throat from outside around voice box & tongue seems a little swollen

I've been having throat difficulties for almost 2 years now. I have had thyroid bloodwork, and a thyroid ultrasound last year which came up fine. I have pain in/around my voice box area on the left side of my neck. It doesn't hurt to swallow, although it is sometimes difficult to swallow (especially meat). My tongue seems to be swollen as well, as the edges of my tongue have imprints from my teeth, as if my tongue doesn't fit in my mouth like it should anymore. For awhile I was thinking TMJ for the tongue thing, and was having pain in the jaw area too. But the pain in my neck/voicebox area is worrisome. I don't know what to make of it. I also have to clear my throat excessively it seems, I'm ALWAYS having to do the "ahem". I just had bloodwork done in September also which came up fine. I  have been under abnormal amounts of stress as of late, due to finances, and I found out my Dad has terminal cancer (brain and lung) and I live 1700 miles away. I don't know if this could somehow be stress related? The last thing I need to worry about is myself right now, but I'm pretty worried none-the-less. Could this be from overusing my vocals? I have cried so much the last 3 weeks, and had a terrible cold, the whole week I was away from home at my Dad's side. So could all of the coughing and crying have an effect? Please, I'm desperate for any input. I am going to the Dr. in the morning, but have little faith in her, as we can't ever seem to narrow this down.