Thyroid Disorders Community
palpitations and rapid heart beat with hypothyroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hi, my tsh is low normal and my t4 is very low at .54 - i have been getting sudden onsets of a rapid heart beat and lots of palpitations - i am not hashis or graves, endo is still trying to figure out why i am hypo at all..... i am on synthroid 50mcg. these symptoms are not any worse than before i started the medicine so thats not it...i am wondering if anyone else has had these rapid heart rates and palpitations with hypo? also i get really crabby all of a sudden when i get this,  my heart checks out fine at the cardiologist and endo says hypo dont cause heart palps ...
Hi!  I am experiencing this very same thing!  1 thing I would say is check into the ranges the doctor uses to classify you as hypo or hyperthyroid.  They can vary.  I recently have watched my TSH change from .75 on 2005 to 1.01 in Aug of 2008 and then now Jan of 2009 to 2.9......I am experiencing lots of rapid heart beat, feeling faint, tingling throughout my body and hands and feet that like blocks of ice!  I am relieved to see someone else with hypo has rapid heart beat.  I thought it was jsut for people with hyperthyroid.    I went to the ER recently thinking I was having a heart problem and they took an EKG and said I was fine.  They said I was having panic attacks.  Gave me zanax.  I am planning on going to an endocrinologist.  What are your numbers?
Some docs use a range of .05-5.0 for TSH and others use .03-3.0 so this can change everything .  Check into it, let us know what you find out, as I am very curious and going through the very same thing!  Thanks for posting.

I know now i have hypo and take 100 levothyroxine each day. However, the original blood test I had about 5-6 years ago related to a bout of really bad nocturnal palpitations and wheezing. They checked out my heart which was fine and concluded that I may have nocturnal asthma.
Luckily, they recommended 6 monthly blood tests, but didnt tell me what for. 5 years later I joined a new doctor who took over my testing and immediately diagnosed compensated hypo.
So, i have no idea what my bloods were back then but I will never forget that night and with hindsight it was probably the start of my thyroid problems. My guess is that my thyroid was either irregular( up and down in production) and the palps were caused by either too much or too little in my system.
Anyway, you are not alone and good luck. The main thing is to get your ticker checked!
Hi! Yep, thats me too!!! I had thyroidectomy 2 1/2 years ago and the heart palps ,tachycardia started... after 1 1/2 years of being told it was anxiety ( tried antidepressants did not help) and my levels were low normal, no Hashi's ,
Graves, I started on synthyroid  for nodule suppression on remaining lobe. I started feeling much better til I tried Armour...and WOW- my symptoms went thru the roof again. Now I am back to square one, restarting low dose of synthyroid and trying different heart meds.
  No one will say the thyroid and heart are connected.... but I sure do ( or should I say my body does).  good lluck , keep posting and know you are NOT alone. There is another  post in 2006 from Soooo confused who had the same issue. I really thought I was alone til I read that since I not hyper but have all those symptoms.
Lets all figure out how to resolve this since drs aren't....
It's funny you should post this now, as I'm hypo been experiencing heart palpitations increasingly recently.  I went to the doctor again yesterday and they ran an EKG, which turned out normal.  It's good to know I'm not alone, though; I feel a bit like I'm losing my mind!
feel like ive lost my mind as well been having these sudden attacks of heart palps for three years and kept getting told its anxiety attacks doc says no way its hypo only happens with hyper she says! well i can see from your posts she is way off - if the docs would just listen they would know what the symptoms really are! thanks for the support
I am on 2 anti-depressents as well as the tyroid medicine and lyric.  My heart began beating rapidly and it happend often. They told me it was anxiety and prescibed the antidepressents. My levels have been running between 14-17 for 3 yrs now and I am finally going to see the endo. dr. I have had such low levels for so long, I have now been diagnosed with carpal tunnel and fibromyalgia. I hurt all the time and I stay so tired and so weak, but yet I cant sleep at nite.
How are you sleeping ??  

I am hyperthyroid, but I have all the symptoms of hypo.  My heart rate is super slow, between 58-62 bpm.    

In the past, when I had bad heart palps, if it wasn't anxiety, then sleep deprivation was the cause.  The more tired, I felt the more my heart would pound  I was mentally awake & alert, but my body was telling me, I needed to rest.  

Poor sleep, can cause alot of health symptoms for people.  Or just not resting enough, when our bodies are not feeling well.
I am having a recurrence of heart palpitations, especially at night when I roll over. Two years ago, the same thing happened and the doc checked out my heart and decided it was anxiety even though I kept telling him it was my thyroid because of all my other symptoms (thyroid checked out normal at that time). He put me on antidepressants which did nothing. Finally, after another 6 months, he ran another thyroid test (at my insistence) and found out I was hypo. After, being on thyroid medication for 2 weeks, the heart palpitations went away and have been gone until now. My doctor never ran any other tests on my thyroid to know what was causing the problem so I am assuming that my thyroid is now getting worse. As far as the palpitations being related to lack of sleep, how can that be when I sleep very deep and every chance I get?
My cardiologist told me, that many thyroid patients have sleep apnea, especially those with enlarged thyroids.  Such as in my case.  The thyroid can surpress the airway, while I sleep, restricting oxygen, regardless of how many hours I sleep.

I wake up feeling tired, my heart overworks, to keep energy levels balanced.  My heart used to pound bad, just walking around my house.  And sometimes when I didn't feel tired, my heart would still pound, just walking, and pound at night, when I tried to sleep.  

But sleep apnea, is one contributing factor to heart palps according to my cardiologist.  

I was making frequent visits to my cardiologist for bad heart palps, had every heart test done in the medical field, all return normal.  Stress test, ultrasound, echo, 24 hour monitor, etc...  

But he said, many thyroid patients visit him, with heart palps, and he diagnosed sleep apnea, with most of them, after reviewing thier medical history and lab results.    

I'm not a doctor, just sharing what my cardiologist shared with me.  Please consult your doctor for proper care & treatment.  

Hope you feel better soon.  Good luck to you !!        

Heart palps are NO fun. Neither are runs of tachycardia., chest pain,ect

You should see a cardiologist, better yet a electrophysicist cardiologist ( they specialize in electrical activity of heart). Get a complete cardiac workup.... just to get a clean bill of health. They ( drs) can also prescribe something to help the palps, make you feel betterI

. Being told you are crazy without getting a complete cardio workup... well thats nuts!!!

And someday we will prove the cardio/heart connection to all those "slow thinking" drs.
Hi, I just wanted to say that I get awful palpitations and have done for a year whilst swinging between normal and hypo. But I am also undergoing a premature menopause too which can cause palpls, so I'm not sure how old you are, but you might want to look into that side too. But in any case, I was told by the experienced people here when I first joined that a lot of the symptoms of hyper and hypo overlap, and they don't always fit in with the traditional picture, ie. palps commonly associated with being hyper. And also, whenever I get them, it has been when I'm hypo!
Several years ago I started experiencing palpitations. Went to a cardiologist and he put me on Atenolol to regulate the beat. Now 4 years later and after many complaints about  my neck, I've been diagnosted with hoshimotos hypothyroidism. Started getting the other symptoms before the actual diagnosis.
I forgot to say as I increased my synthyroid dose my symptoms seemed to go away- I felt much better. Less heart palps,anxiety, tenderness neck area. Then I pushed endo to try armour.... big mistake for me.
  My heart rate went thru the roof, which was followed by bad anxiety. Endo made me stop thyroid meds for brief period ( ? hyper/T3) and I am titrating back up VERY slowly and am now back on heart meds...
  GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... stupid me!!! What works great for some does not for others!!!
I have had heart palps both hyper and hypo and like you, thought it was from being hyper as I was dx with Graves and Hyperthyroidism before RAI 7 months ago.
I now know that heart palps comes with BOTH lol.
smilerdeb,
I read your profile and saw how much better you are feeling since your RAI . I especially liked the part where you have sooo much more energy and can go out without anxiety.!Congrats  to you... we are all so happy for you!!!

The dr. says I am just borderline low.... but some days I feel SO bad... and then it gets allittle better... unfortunately the symptoms come back with a vengence. I get so tired of living this way...

If you have any tips on how to hang on.... pass them along to ALL on this post. This is SO frustrating... I want a RAI too or surgerically remove the remaining half of my thyroid... but end this "heck" ----please drs.!!!
I guess that when I was first diagnosed, I was as much in the dark as a lot of people are.
My Sister has Graves but I dont have anything to do with my family (long story) so what I learnt, I had to learn on my own back.
I alienated my kids, my friends with the 'Graves Rage' before RAI.
I went from Hyper to Hypo in 2 weeks flat from large doses of anti-thyroid meds and continuously lived off Xanax and Beta Blockers.
This contined for nearly a year after diagnosis and then one day (after 3 episodes of Atrial Fibrillation in 2 weeks) I decided that I had...had enough.
I stormed into the Doctors and told him that if he didnt get my thyroid taken out, I was going to get the Butcher to take it out.
I look back on it now and feel embarrassed by that statement to him, for the times I told him I had lost all faith in him and for all the times I was a complete b***ch.
It was then that I was told I couldnt have Surgery as it was too risky.
3 weeks prior to RAI, I also discovered my whole thyroid had cancer.
RAI was done end of June 2008 and boy was I scared.
I was scared of the unknown......
After 5 weeks I was Hypo.
I had a thyroidectomy done in September 2008 via keyhole where I was awake for the proceedure and it was done with 2 epidurals in my neck and a small injection to make me drousy. Full anaesetic was too risky for me as I was born with a heart murmur at birth which was 'innocent' until diagnosis of Graves Disease.
After the RAI and the Thyroidectomy, I was severely depressed from all that had happened prior to RAI that I decided that if I could learn all I could and manage my own condition and hopefully persuade my Doc to work with this irratic woman (me), then half my battle was won.

I didnt like the person I had become.I was angry, I always cried, I got frustrated because my kids didnt understand.
NOBODY understood (know the feeling?). I was sick on the inside yet on the outside I wasnt.
I was angry with myself for being Agoraphobic for 26 years and all the years I wasted (another story) and decided that I wanted my life back and the only person who could give me that...was Me.

So after numerous discussions with my Doctor (including telling him that if this was life, I didnt want it)...we started to work together.
He scoffed at info I took in every week that I collected off the net but eventually gave in to my demands and we worked together as a team.
After RAI I was determined NOT to crash Hypo bad so we agreed I would have weekly bloods until my TSH hit 6.0. This took 5 weeks post RAI.
I continued getting weekly bloods as I am super drug sensitive and Thyroxin works straight away for me (within 3 days).

I started at 50mcg then 2 weeks later, 62.5mcg, then 2 weeks after that 75mcg.
Slowly the thyroxin started to kick in and I found I didnt need as much.
I would 'log' all my symptoms everyday and what dosage I was on.
So when 75mcg was too high , we took it back down to 62.5mcg.
When that sent me to the top of the ref range, we took it down to 50mcg again then started again but instead of the same dosage everyday...I took 62.5mcg Mon/Wed/Fri and 50mcg the other 4 days of the week.
Since October we have been juggling my meds and have now come to a stage where I know what I am ..either heading heading hypo or hyper.
I went a little high (not out of range though) a few weeks ago and knew to cut down the meds and now 2 weeks later, I am increasing again SLOWLY.
In order to get everything right and levels stable to where I FEEL good, baby steps are needed and a LOT of PATIENCE.

I have since come off the Xanax and in October 2008, I started  fulltime studying course and went to an Aged Care Facility to do my 'placement'.
As it turned out, I was offered the position of Medical Administrator 3 weeks ago and although I was scared, I accepted the job.I am still doing my 'distance course' in Aged Care Acute Dementia and I thoroughly love my job.
My boss knows about my past with Agoraphobia and Anxiety, about my thyroid (or lack of it) and today I went for bloods whilst in work hours with her approval.

Dont ever give up as I have always said that there IS light at the end of the tunnel and yes, my journey is nearly over.
I am not a strong person...inside me is a very frightened little girl but deep down inside I wanted my life back.
I found myself not being able to go even an hour without mentioning the word THYROID.
I dont do that now.
I 'forget' I have no thyroid until I may get an odd ache or pain and then I think...'ok, my levels must be off' and then I follow up on them.
It has taken a lot of hard work, a lot of frustration, a lot of anger, a lot of tears, a lot of feelings of despair....but......

I am happier now than I have been in years.
My kids are happier and one even said to me..'Mum, its nice to have a conversation with you without you biting our heads off'.
It wasnt until my eldest said that...that I realised just how desperate I mustve been.

I wont lie to you....yes things have been hard, times been tough and times where I felt I wasnt going to get through it all.
But I did and so can so many of you guys.
My mentor here is AR-10, he gave me a lot of hope when I couldnt see hope and I hope one day to repay that kindness.

The secret to recovery is.......Baby Steps and be kind to yourself.
Start saying No to people who demand your attention.
Start doing things for YOU.
If you cant do something one day...then dont do it.
Dont push yourself too hard.
There were many times I stayed in my pj's all day and you know what?
I didnt care what people thought.
But most of all remember that we are all only human and yes, we do make mistakes but it the mistakes that make us a stronger person.

Sorry...didnt mean to write a book lol (I have a habit of doing that lol )

My advice is.....research, research , research until it becomes an obsession like it did for me. Dont take everything as Gospel as everyone is different but 'take in' the important info.
Elliminate symptoms and strategies one by one ....slowly with baby steps.

Hi all!! Wish me luck, I started toperol XL ( just 12.5 mg) for tachycardia, svt, heart palps. It seems to be helping. Woke up last night and took my pulse... only 75, which I have not seen for over 2 years. Usually 95-110 resting. It almost felt a wierd scarey to be slow but I have to readjust my thinking. Also laying down no major heart thumping.. wierd too... but a good wierd.
   I hope this helps someone else out there.
Is that a slow release beta blocker...sounds like it?
Just make sure you dont cut the tablet as it is designed to be slow releasing.
It is heaven when that heartrate slows down, isnt it?
I know I felt strange when my tachycardia went.....almost as if I didnt have one.
But I was on Inderal and at one stage 80mg a day.
Beta blockers can make you a little dizzy as they lower not just your heartrate but blood pressure too so take it easy and dont stand up too quick.
Great to hear you have some relief from the fast heartrate.
Keep in touch.
I used to get the same thing when I was hypo.  For me it was mitro vlave prolapse and dysautonomia.  Proper hydration is what helps me.  
I have mitral valve and tricuspid valve prolapse but it was only picked up after dx with Graves.
Prior to that, I didnt have any problems.
I have always been checked by a Cardio yearly due to a murmur from birth.
Thanks all for the support.. you are great!!!
Smilerdeb, I do cut the tablet in half, along the scoring line, pharmacist said it was okay , that is why the line was there. It is SO a wierd feeling to have a slower heart rate when I lay down at night... I am used to it yet.
  Johcp,
Thanks for the tip, I live in a hot climate ( south Texas) so I try to keep lots of fluids, it makes a difference for me too.

That said I am on day 3, and I think the meds just really got in my system. I went to grocery store today and felt like laying on the floor in the aisle. I am SO tired, and a little light headed. I am on a tiny dose, but always have low BP normally, and am super senstivie to all meds. Please say this will get better as my body adjusts...... I don't want to live in a fog, fatigued feeling...
  Inspiration, hope needed!!!
Try cutting the tablet into quarters and taking 2 x 1/4 tab twice a day.
I found the same with Inderal.
I had to space my doses out over 4 times a day.
I'm surprised that it has a scoring line as XL usually means slow release.
Anyway, you learn something new everyday.
Try what I said and cut the tablets into 4 and if your prescribed dosage is 12.5mg (25mg tablet) then take 1/4 twice a day and you will find it settles.
Thanks for the info... I am a little confused.. but maybe I have mislead you. I was prescribed a 25 mg tablet toperol XL, I cut on the scored line to make 12. 5 mg dose and take it daily.Dr wanted me to start out at 25 mg. ...but I am SO sensitive I thought I would ease into this and see. The pharmacist said I could cut the pills along the scored line in the center. Now should I cut the small 12. 5 mg in half again and do twice daily? There is no scored line to cut further and I might not be getting an accurate dose.
  Or should I call him and see - he is not much of a conversationist... more like here.. try this.
And I have found after I take the pill within a hour or two I am very nauseous., feels like a gas bubble too... hope this goes away. As I said I am so sensitive... that plus my wonderful insomnia rears its ugly head right now... no sleep.... and I never had that problem in my life before too!!
this getting older is not fun!!!
  One last thing- anyone feel like their chest gets "sore" from all the heart palps?? I know after a bad SVT attack I can feel this way for weeks, feel that way now and hoping it will get better as time goes on.
Thanks for listening to my whining... I have become what I swore I never would be....
Yes...cut the 12.5mg into 2 and take it morning and night.
As long as you keep the half of a tablet and take those same 2 x 1/4's then you will still be getting the same dose (12.5mg) daily.
I am super drug sensitive too.
I felt I had a heavy chest when I had Supra Ventricular Tachycardia.
That feeling will pass with the beta blocker.
I found that it took a good week for the blocker to get into my system and thats why I split up the doses during the day so that it didnt hit me so hard.
My Doctor also agreed to this.
I found the beta blocker made me feel dizzy when taking half a tablet at a time.
I was on 80mg (2 x 40mg tablets) daily after 3 episodes of Atrial Fibrillation in 2 weeks.
I took it in 4 doses...half 4 times a day as I needed it bad.
Then as I decreased I cut the tablets into quarters and took the same way.
I found I tolerated them better and so did my sanity lol.

A word of advice......dont ever just stop the beta blockers.
You have to wean off them over a period of days or the heart will react and start racing again.
I swore I would never take them as they scared the hell out of me but eventually I needed them and once the 'phobia' of taking them subsided, I felt so much better.
Hope that helps.
thanks again you are a wealth of information. Your post came at just the right time. I had another SVt attack last night... 2nd one this week after going off  flecainide, it happened last time they took me off it.. I think my body is adjusting. And my chest feels SO heavy, almost "sore". But the good news is when I have the attack I don't panic now.. the beta blockers take care of that anxiety aspect. I am just sooooooooooo tired and dizzy,nauseous and have a dull headache ( had that on flecanide but never have them any other time).
Thanks for all the encouragement....I feel like I have turned into such a hypochondriac.... just want drs to wave the wands.. make it go away... sigh- wishful thinking. All-Keep that advice coming- it is my sanity!!
Hi, I'm looking for any input anybody can give me. I've been hypothyroid for about three years. Was on 50mcg for almost all of the three years until last April. Doctor called after bloodwork and said my numbers showed I was hyperthyroid (I felt perfectly fine at the time). He lowered my dose to 25mcg and about 6-8 weeks later I started having major issues-vertigo, dizziness, fatigue, headaches worse than before. I ended up in the hospital in August because of bad heart palpitations and fatigue and severe Gerd and developed esophagitis. My tsh jumped up to 3.5 then it went to 2.8 but I felt hypothyroid even though I was having heart palpitations and severe anxiety attacks. I went off levothyroxine and felt even worse, right now tsh is at 3.4 but t4 is at 1.7, I still feel hypothyroid, awful with zero energy, depressed, anxious. My question is could I be hypothyroid at those levels. Doctors give me conflicting answers. One says I don't need thyroid meds, another says I do?
yes also low levels can cause anxiety. which can cause heart racing,  it used to hit me early in the morning. and then a half hour after i took my thyroid meds. somehow it dissapears.! so i think there is a connection. hang in there. !!!
All the best to each and every one of you, I most definitely feel your pain for this frustrating condition.

I too have been experiencing heart palps and racing heart with the inclusion of some numbness and tingling.  I went to the doctor two years ago and she ran an ekg and did blood work saying both were normal.  Symptoms got really troublesome this year and my heart palps were becoming more regular, nearly every night and then the numbness and serious cold started in.  Went to the doctor, same thing with the ekg and bloodwork and again with the normal diagnosis.  

Because of the serious numbness (both arms from shoulder to fingers) I went to a chiropractor.  Since it was my first visit, he asked me all sorts of questions and then performed some examinations on me and said he was positive it was my thyroid and pituitary glands causing the main problems.  He asked to see my blood work.  He told me that over the years the "normal" range has expanded to where someone has to be pretty serious in order to get outside that range and force the doctors to treat them.  After seeing my blood work it confirmed what he thought and he said I was indeed hypo.  He suspected secondary to the pituitary gland and put me on treatment to support both glands.  I don't take hormones but instead take Standar Process supplements: Pituitrophin, Thytrophin and Iodoral (iodine/magnesium).  These seem to be working.  He also said there was some issues with the energy running from my brain stem to the heart and is working to correct that as well.  While I am getting better, I still have some bad days and he even said it's not a straight line from bad to good.  The doses will keep increasing as my body can handle them until I get to a point where I am  better and then the doses will start to decrease.  This is probably not something for hashi's or graves or a severe case that has been untreated for too long and had little healthy gland left but for someone earlier on in their symptoms it is worth a try.

He is not a normal chiropractor, he uses what he calls Nutrition Resistance Testing (NRT) to find issues in the body.  It is based on the assumption that diseases are born from severe nutrition deficiency and that by finding the underlying cause and treating it, the body will again be able to heal itself.  He's been doing this for many years and treated many thyroid patients with success so I believe in that he knows what he is doing.  Plus I'm actually seeing results and he's been the only one to listen to me and tell me that I'm not crazy.  He also told me to do yoga and deep breathing exercises when the heart races to fill the body with oxygen.  He said deep, long controlled breaths in a resting position for 5 - 10 minutes.  I now follow a good program of aerobics/cardio in the morning followed by some yoga breathing and then a pm yoga routine followed by breating at night.  Seems to be helping.  

He also said no caffeine, low to no sugar, no soy and no baked goods (preservatives).  I was also recommended against gluten/wheat which I am currently starting to incorporate into my diet although difficult because my kitchen is filled with grains so I am slowly "cleaning up" my kitchen to rid my house of bad things and to up the fruits and veggies.  I've switched from eating wheat crackers to raw almonds (calcium - good for the heart!) and eat lots of apples and oranges.  Also loving Yogi tea, especially the Bedtime and Stress Relief at night and Ginger/Lemon at lunch time (to help aid in digestion).  And have added much more fiber to my diet.  

I highly reccomend seeking out altnerative practitioners to help you if you aren't getting results.  This could be a naturopathic physician, chiropractor, acupuncturist.  But make sure to look for those who specialize in hormonal issues and have been in practice for a long time with happy clients.  In addition to my chiropractor, I've ditched my MD and am not seeing a naturopathic physician that specializes in thyroid disorders and they are working together beautifully.  I'm very happy with my new "team" and hope to one day be able to bid my heart palps farewell!

Thank you all for your great advice!  I've just been diagnosed with mild hypo, but the palpatations just don't stop.  I too last year had scary numbness and tingeling in my hands along with pains in my heart, but after being perscribed magnesium citrate by a nutricianalist this went within a month - phew!  Still looking to lower the heart beat without hard core medication.  The search goes on...
Reading all of this is like Oh man..... I thought heart palps were normal. I hardly ever remember NOT having them.  Only about a year ago my heart palps stayed at about 140 to 160 a minute ... none stop.... Graves Disease I was told after suffering off an on with these for gee, all my life.  The short time I was Hypo though, I do not recall having any, my pulse was down in the 50 and 60s. I was always cold and had no energy and memory was dreadful.  I would have to hear or read something a million times before it registered.  Good advice here, I wonder how much damage this may have done to my ticker?  
My daughter is 9 and born without her thyroid gland. She began having heart palps at age 8 and was diagnosed with 83 PVC's in 20 days by a halter moniter study by a pediatric cardiologist one year ago. However, other heart test showed no issues with her actual heart muscle. Her pediatric endo. said it wasn't related as her hormone levels on Synthroid were in "Normal" range. However, she never looked at her available t3 levels (Freet3)! I decided to seek out a doctor who would, and low and behold the free t3 was low, yet her free t4 was high. Her endo. was always satisfied with TSH in the mid to upper range of normal, yet I was reading about issues with the "too broad" reference ranges and disagreements within the medical community (labs, doctors, endocrin societies etc.) on where the ranges should actually fall. I decided then, that I was going to find my daughters OPTIMAL range! We switched to an MD who specializes in hormones and switched to desiccated hormone (Nature-Throid) which has t3 in it. I am happy to report that she no longer has PVC's, muscle pain, joint aches, constipation w/ blood in her stools,moodiness, temp. issues etc....She is optimal and feeling great. To prove it, we just returned from a family ski trip at high altitudes, where she skied every day with no physical issues of any kind! She could not have done that a year ago! Her Freet3 and Freet4 are kept higher in the reference range now and her TSH is supressed to well under 1. She is not hyper in any way. She is a normal kid again who can laugh, run and play without her heart beating out of her chest and laboring to catch her breath. It has been a journey to get here, however I feel that we have completed it successfully and that I have  a much better understanding of her condition and how important being and the proper thyroid levels for your individual needs really is! Optimal and specific was the key for us. She needed more t3 for her changing and growing body to function properly. Her body now has what it was  needing/lacking to function properly (enough available t3)  and life is great again! I hope our story will be of help to someone out there. Our hearts have to last us a life time. I was not about to sit back and accept that it was not realated to thyroid issues/ levels, (especially since she has no gland at all) and neither should any of you!! How could it possibly NOT be related? It had everything to do with it! Being under treated with medication can cause issues just as too much medication can. The type of medication can also be the issue for many out there suffering with heart palps./pvc's. Normal range was not good enough , she needed her specific optimal range found, and it took a new doctor and meds to get there. Best health wishes to each of you in the New Year! May 2010 be one of answers and discovery, and better health for us all!
I, too, have heart palpitations related to hypothyroidism.  My doctor seems to believe that they can't possibly be related, I believe strongly that they are. In fact, I recently tried a little experiment with my low dose (25mcg) levoxythyrine (NOT RECOMMENDED).  I had noticed that I wasn't having the palpitations as often while on this low dose and decided to skip taking them on the weekends....just to see if it had anything to do with it.  The first day, I noticed very few palpitations.  The second day, twice as many.  The third day, almost as many as prior to untreated hypo.  I have entertained the thought of this being a placebo type effect, but I am also very in touch with my body and have been very sensitive to medications my whole life.  My argument for this in regards to thyroid is that this is a hormone, and hormones are produced daily by the body to regulate many many systems within the body.  So...why WOULDN'T I be able to notice any fluctuations in those hormone levels quickly?  For instance, hormones that control ovulation can effect mood, energy levels, and  concentration that vary from one day to the next based on the level of them in our system (and our own body's response to them)....such as in PMS (which usually last 2-3 days).  Why is it such a stretch to believe that I can notice a physical difference in thyroid levels quickly?  Especially when I have a lifetime of sensitivity to medications?

Getting back to my "experiment" (NOT RECOMMENDED)....when I resumed the small dose of levoxythyrine, I noticed a decrease in heart palpitations within 3 days.  Again, this was my own experiment and I do not recommend that anyone try this, but with such a low dose, I felt it was a safe, non-scientific experiment for me to try for my own personal knowledge.  

I have recently been able to view my medical history, including test results, online through my medical provider and this has helped me to see a correlation between a "feel better" state and now.  My TSH numbers in 1999 were at 1.18---a time when I actually felt great---and in 2008/09 were at 2.9--when I felt like crap.  The years between show a gradual increase in this number that corresponds to the physical problems I have had, including an increase in heart palpitations.  I have had my share of cardiac workups over the past 10 years or so, with the resultant "normal" results....and no explanation for the palpitations/chest pains/tingling/fatigue/malaise I had been experiencing.  I have only noticed a difference since requesting to my doctor that she treat me for low thyroid even though my numbers don't meet the criteria (4.0 and above).  She agreed, since I have many of the other symptoms:  cold feet/hands, difficulty regulating body temperature (I would be freezing in bed with multiple covers and "hot" hubby next to me-and often sweaty in perfect room temperatures or with mild exertion), dry, flaky, cracking skin, brittle nails and hair, fatigue upon waking after 8-9 hours of sleep, difficulty concentrating, heavy, quality of life altering periods, weakness and muscle aches/pains, lowered sex drive, and extreme difficulty losing weight.  When I listed them out for her, she agreed to try me on the lowest dose of levoxythyrine and I noticed a change within a week.  Not much, but enough to make me feel like a real person again, instead of the zombie mom I had become over the years.  I still have a long way to go before I feel more like the person I used to be...and middle age has it's own agenda for my body as well....but I can see the real me again.  The me that didn't have heart palpitations that caused anxiety, worry, and doomsday thinking well before my time.  
You are definitely not alone.  I can always tell when my levels need to be adjusted because I get scary heart palpatations.  Just try to hang in there.  Make sure you are having your doctor test your TSH, T3, T4 levels as well as your adrenals and pituitary.  Usually when one has issues they all have issues.  I'm going into my doctors office tomorrow and demanding those are all checked.  I feel like crap.  So tired, heart racing, elephant sitting on my chest, can't sleep, headaches, dizziness, nausea, blurry vision, aches and pains galore, plus depression.  People try to talk to me and I burst out crying.  Ridiculous!  Good luck.  I hope you get better soon.
Yes, I know how you are feeling. I am not sure what age you are , but if you are female get those hormones checked too. I feel SO much better on bioidentical hormones. Alot of the symptoms can be hormonal too.
The elephant on your chest, I know all to well the feeling. Mine is so much worse in the am when waking up, especially if I roll over and sleep on my side or stomach- go figure???
I also have adrenal issues- high cortisol- but am working on it with acupuncture and adaptogen herbs. It seems to helping alot!!
Good luck to you!
We all seem to have some or many of the same symptoms regardless if we are hypo, hyper, or whatever is wrong with our thyroids. Even like me who has had a thyroidectomy and yet i have the heart palpations at times and then other times when my heart rate is slow and blood pressure normal i get scared almost and feel weird , like oh god is my heart stopping. I know alot of it is the anxiety that i have but all these up and down symptoms just tire me out mentally. I panic when it is bedtime because i am so afraid of how i will feel when i wake up. I have the ringing in the ears, dizziness , sweating and so on. I am just exhausted hoping and wanting to feel normal. bless you all
I was diagnosed with Hashi. about 5 years ago, but was 'borderline' and checked for a few years previously.  I too have recently been suffering from palpitations - mainly at night.  Not pounding, but very scary 'fluttering' that lasts for hours, and is very distressing.  I take 125 Eutyrox per day.  My blood pressure is usually normal, but my hb can be as low as 46 bpm.   It's so comforting to find others in the same position, but boy, would I love to feel 'normal' again.
it amazes me how much thyroid patient suffer, and for what? because Doctors can be pompous, rude, arrogant and slow witted. I just saw yet another endo. I have an HMO which I have to keep for now.
I had RAI 16 years ago, and have been puttering along fairly well up until about 3 years ago, around the time i turned 34.
Now, I have a racing heart, palps, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, depression, anxiety, worry, heat intolerance, light headedness, sleep apnea. You name it. they cannot find anything else wrong. I am having adrenals tested for the second time this week, but not for adrenal fatigue just cushings and addisons again.
i am so tired of hearing that TSH is all that counts. There is no need to test t3. there is no need for natural thyroid. there is no need for the clean gel t4, there is nothing wrong with you. Thyroid patients do not complain this much. I know you are converting t4 to t3 properly because your tsh is fine. your tsh is .67? thats fine. your TSH is 4.98 less then 9 months later? thats normal. you cannot seem to tolerate levothroid anymore all of a sudden out of nowhere? thats in your head.
I have hate in my heart for endocrinologists. evil, pompous arrogant, lazy profession. why so much discord between the old gaurd and the new gaurd? why do they not pay attention to how patients feel and to clinical presentations? why do they not seek answers and rather tell you all is fine.

If I could wish for special powers, i would wish the ability to impose my symptoms onto every crappy endo i have ever had to endure, and wait for them to tell me its normal.

i have been through 5 anti-depressants, and nothing helps.
I think the key is NEVER tell your doctor you suffer depression and anxiety. You will never be taken seriously again.
thanks for letting me vent.
Your rant is so true! I wish I was a genie and that I could grant you your wish! LOL! Then, maybe things would begibn to change? Take care
You said "...pompous, rude, arrogant and slow witted...If I could wish for special powers, i would wish the ability to impose my symptoms onto every crappy endo (doctor) i have ever had to endure, and wait for them to tell me its normal..."
I just wanted to let you know you are not alone- I've read the same sentiments from so many- Seems like an epidemic of incompetent, arrogant, useless endo docs here in the U.S.-  My support and best wishes (prayers) go out to you and all of us who have endured unnecessary pain, disruption, frustration, financial ruin, etc. trying to get a proper diagnosis/treatment.  HORMONES are the most complex system of our bodies- EVERYTHING affects our hormone(s), every second, of every day...Even if you are in 100% perfect health (no disease or objective testing abnormality), something as common as "mental stress" could throw many of your hormones out-of-whack enough to make you feel very ill...Result, it's very easy for doctors to manipulate any physical complaint or symptom (and their incompetence or lack of interest or time) into a psych or "untreatable" disorder...+ All to often the wrong diagnosis- There's many who have been wrongly on pychotropic drugs or "hormones" (E.G. thyroid replacement pills) for years, only to later find out those drugs were at best just "masking" the symptoms of a treatable, curable "physical" disease....In the meantime (while being bounced from doctor to doctor, and test to test, and book to book and post to post),  in hopes of finding an accurate DX and TX) I wish to remind everyone of a few basic things: Stress alone has a very negative (physical) effect on ALL of our body systems- ("Whatever" is adding stress to your life right now, includes doctors, finances, etc.- E.G. "Today I will not think or talk about anything related to healthcare system, insurance, medications, etc."...Also- Remind yourself how our body is under attack constantly by toxic chemicals, preservatives, artificial/packaged chemicals "disguised as food, cleansers", etc-, pollution and on and on- While you're navigating the screwed-up and often ineffective "medical system", which is solely based on profits from disease (not wellness) - Try to live as "natural, chemical-free" as possible-  E.G. Ask yourself, would I GIVE THIS (e.g. med/food/drink) to my NEWBORN? -If the answer is "NO" you probably shouldn't be giving it to yourself either- ("This" includes so many things from perfumes, fast food, anti-depressants, many energy drinks, caffeine, artificial sugar, concentrated sweets and herbal remedies, mercury fillings, alcohol, many prescription medications and on and on- ). When you're feeling better, you can slowly resume adding back some of these "not so healthy" things you miss, if you desire. While my suggestions may not cure your disease, they certainly will make you feel alot better, and aid in the natural healing processes, until you find the "right" doctors willing and able to hopefully cure your disease(s) or chronic health conditions. Stressed and/or physically ill people often feel "helpless"- I know I do at least 1 to a thousand times a day- But we all have the power to improve our outcomes/destiny or at least feel a little better on the often frustrating & exhausting, "journey to wellness"-  - Most amazing is some people actually have cured themselves (of all symptoms and disease) simply by controlling/relieving stressors and changing their lifestyles/diet/exposure to chemicals. Disclaimer: I certainly am not advocating stopping treatments and/or medications recommended by your physicians- E.G. If I stopped taking my insulin shots (IDDM)  I would be dead by tomorrow. On the other hand, improving diet/lifestyle in combination with removing mental/physical/chemical stressors can cure MANY hormonal and autoimmune-based illnesses. The best to you all!
Just started reading this thread because I have a fast heart rate that flutters.  See my post I made earlier today.  Currently in an episode right now. Pretty scary. seeing a heart doctor next week.  I can tell when its starting and when I listen to it I cannot believe it. Just send for the adrenal saliva testing, but not sure if any doctor will give a damn about the results.
Thank you for your comments. I have never seen this site before, but it was such a relief to see others feel the same way. Anger is part of the frustration--and grief process--of chronic problems, and people who have not gone through it, think we, the sufferers, are off the planet (or at least slightly crazy). It is so good to read other people's stories and see common symptoms - for example fast pulse and nausea. It has saved me bothering to get an ECG.

My autoimmune system seems to have rejected thyroxine, so I was in a terrible state, despite the fact I was taking handfuls of the stuff - totally overdosing. My doc would have had a fit, but he was not helping me at all. I went to Allergy Pathways (Perth, WA) yesterday, to get zapped, as they cured my food allergies a few years ago, so I will see how that works. Unfortunately, all the thyroxine in my system has started to work since treatment, so I expect to feel pretty bad until I level out, then I shall have to experiement to get the optimum dose. I find the porcine thyroid works best (a T3, T4 combo) when it does work.

To all those suffering out there, don't give up, let's keep encouraging each other and try and keep a positive attitude. If we can ***** to each other on this site, hopefully we won't feel the need to ***** 'out there' amongst 'normal' people.

Thank you again for sharing and being honest and real.

Hypo
I have an elarged thyroid and am waiting for the results of blood work and ultrasound for my thryoid. I have trouble swolling and sleeping because my thryoid is so big, so I am always tired no matter how much I try to sleep. Which these days isn't much. I also has really bad episodes of heart palpitations. They go on all day and get worst at night. It makes is hard to breath. I feel like an elephant it sitting on my chest. The heart test so far have come back ok but after reading these other post I now know I need to keep after the doctors for more answers. I also ended up in ER thinking I was having a heart attack, thank goodness it wasn't but this is really scary.
Hi. Im 26 years old. ^ weeks after having my Baby I experienced episodes of Rapid Heart beat. When This would flare up, I would get Hot/cold spells. My skin became blotchy, numb and hot. I would always be light headed, dizzy, in a fog. I went to the ER twice. My doctor kept telling me that My TSH levels were just slightly low and that it should even out. He said it was caused due to the Hormone changes after having the baby. Well, After 3 random attacks of Rapid heartbeats, Palpitation, and Insomnia..I decided to get a second opinion. The doctor was a Female. She sent me to have a Nuclear scan done. They couldnt find my Thyroid. It was extreemly low..Which means it wasnt producing enough..Almost none at all. This didnt make sense to me. I had ALL the symptoms of Hyper but I was Really Hypo..I was put on a Beta Blocker called Toprol XL. I take 25 mgs a day. it is helping SO much! Now, I only have symptoms of Fatigue, tiredness, sometimes dizzy, and as long as I am taking it easy, Before when I would try to just walk to the bathroom, My heart would start pounding. One time I hyperventalated. I lost 10 lbs in just a couple of days. I had TOO much energy. I stay hydrated now as I know that is not good for you to be dehyrated. The doctor called my condition Postpartum Thyroiditis..Its supposed to go away on its own. It has dropped even lower since the last time I had it checked. We have just moved and I am scheduled to see another Dr. here. I go on March 8th. Wish me luck! I really want mediciation because I am very tired now. My heart seems fine. I dont drink caffine or eat a lot of sugars. That will help! Since I have moved, I have made 2 friends with Graves Disease. They say they have the same symptoms. Im worried that I wont be normal again. But as long as I will be okay and be able to enjoy my New baby, 5 yr old and my Husband..Im fine with that. I feel for ALL of you who are dealing with this. I dont have insurance either. I am having to see someone at a Free health clinic. Another thing..I nursed my newborn for 6 weeks. When the Thryroid symptoms started acting up..My milk dried up in 3 days. No pain at all! I was not happy with that. Since then, I still havent had a priod. Does anyone know how long it takes to have a period after you breastfeed?? My doctor also put me on Anxiety meds. I only took them 2 days. I knew it wasnt that..It was my body! Not my brain. HE suggested me go to mental health (A**hole!) Im SUPER glad someone was able to get me the help I needed. Im very glad we live in a big city now. That means better healthcare
Thank you for your post!  I am on synthroid... so much going on.  A teacher in a busy job?  Anxiety?  Peri-menopause?  I was trying to sleep last week and by midnight, my heart would NOT settle down.  Went to hosp and they gave me a valium and sent me home but symptoms still continue.  It's got to be something else.  I need to get to the bottom of this! :)  CV
yep can be hypo or hyper
I had the same thing for a year -did the whole cardiologist, blood work, etc. etc.. Finally I went to a Naturopath who discovered not only was my vit D super low (15 and range is supposed to be above 30) but I also had Hashimoto's thyroiditis. (Get tested for thyroid antibodies to check for this.) It took almost six months of 10,000 units of vitamin D/day but my palpitations finally stopped. The thyroid swings (insomnia, anxiety, freezing, low body temp, pain in joints and body, brain fog, period irregs) is finally diminishing too after I began Synthroid. -And my thyroid levels were "in range". I wish you all luck in fixing this. I'd still like to clop the Dr who suggested it was "all in my head". Lord save us from their ineptitude. Puh. ~MM
PLEASE READ. I have been having the same symptoms. My TSH is high above 6 and have been having rapid heart rate and palpitations. I've done some research and while normally you would have a slow heart rate with hypothyroidism, some cases have the opposite. This is because of the hormone that stimulates TSH which is TRH. When TRH is high it has very similar effects as adrenaline. Your hypothalamus excretes TRH so I'm not quite sure how to fix this, or if fixing the TSH will in turn fix the TRH. I am going to my doctor tomorrow to present him with my research and possibly see if we can test my TRH, since that is not part of the normal thyroid testing panel.
I've also found out that synthroid and all of its generics don't treat both T3 and T4, just T4. Amourthryoid, which is a more natural medication, treats both. Thyroid-info.com is a great site to check out. I hope this helps!
The above comments have all been very helpful. I have recently been having pounding palpitations at night for no apparent reason. and geneal raised blood pressure. I seem to have slight other symptoms too such as muscle pain and general but not overpowering fatique. My mother had hypothyroidism as a young woman. I am thinking its time I got myself checked out. thank you all will keep you posted.

frank
I had my thyroids removed 5 years ago and i was fine up until about 2 years ago i started having hot flashes extreme ones and my heart would take off flying and beat irregular and skip beats, they diagnosed me with panic disorder but found during the whole process of pain and suffering that my tsh levels were too high and for about 6 months i got better and my tsh level was stable now its out of whack again and my heart takes off flying skips beats hurts all the time and all the tests say my heart is fine and the only thing they can find wrong is my tsh level is off so they have upped my synthroid too 100mcg to see if that will help what i myself believe is slowly killing me because i am miserable
Do you have recent thyroid labs to post with reference ranges?  Ranges vary lab to lab so have to come from your own lab report.  We can comment a lot more intelligently if we see those.  If you don't have them, call your doctor and request a copy.  S/he has to provide one for you upon request.
I agree with AJW56 posted Jan 2009, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid 2 weeks ago and discovered the heart pounding was directly related to exhaustion even when I didn't feel tired. Between taking extra rest for a week and starting synthyroid my palps are gone. I will listen to my heart and get extra rest if I notice heart palps. Rest as in sitting more not neccessarily sleeping.
Well, I use to be hyper and after radioactive iodine 10yrs ago I have become hypo. I had rapid heart beats when I was hyper, but the rapid heart beats started with the hypo after I started taking the medication. Levothyroxine do not cure thyroid problems it only treat the ranges....However I think this med may be the reason my heart is racing and my body is tingling...I notice it only started after the med. May be helping in one way and affecting in another. No doctor will ever tell you that because they are in the business of practicing medicine and they do not know any other way to treat hypothyroidism....
Thyroid problems cause fibromyalgia the doctors say and fibromyalgia has no true source so it is associated with stress. When it is associated with stress there is a need for endocrinologist to associated it with depression. Depression and anxiety is the reason they give you the antidepressant medication. We are really having anxiety because they can't seem the figure out what the heck they are doing and don't seem to give a crap but this is the practice of medicine. I think doctors should  be held responsible for helping in the research and cures for these things they treat as a call of duty. maybe something will get done.
It sounds like your meds are not properly adjusted for you.  It might be a good idea to start a new thread so that members can address your individual concerns.  Just go to the top of the page and hit the orange "Post a Question" button.  

Please tell us a little more about yourself...post labs and ranges if you have them, list meds and dosage, tell us your symptoms.  Granted, thyroid treatment leaves a lot to be desired, but there are many of us who have managed to make the system work for us.  Perhaps we can give you some helpful hints.
i'm sooo tired of the heart palpitations.  they pretty much only occur between the hours of 4 am - 6 am -- after that i can sleep for 8 hours or more with no problem.

i still think the dosage on the levothyroxine is too high.  will be calling back the doctor's office on monday.  grrrr -- getting tired of this.

the palpitations began when i was on the nature-throid a few months ago -- turned out i am allergic to pork, so went off of them and my tsh came down rapidly but new doctor put me on levothyroxine and now the palpitations are back with a vengeneance.
What do your thyroid test results look like, along with reference ranges please?
Read the book "Solved - The Riddle of Illness" by Stephen E. Langer, MD and James F. Scheer.  Amazon sells it.  The light will shine by helping you understand what you have been going through and what could happen if you don't get help.  You will learn a great deal and realize you can have a fantastic life again.  I gave up on traditional western medical practitioners and decided to try a naturopathic doctor, Dr. Bradley West in Los Gatos & Santa Cruz.  What a relief!  I wish I would have made this move sooner.  I highly recommend him, especially if you suffer from intolerance to cold environments, have cold hands and feet, constipation, dry skin, irritability/mood swings, depression, lagging sexual drive, etc.  All of these things are tied into our hormone balance which we generally know very little about.  Traditional doctors only look at T3, which is ridiculous because all the hormones, antibodies, etc need to be evaluated together. You need the big picture to fix a problem. Good luck with your journey in finding the right balance for your body. Be comfortable again!
Goodness...I thought I was going nutts!  I ended up in the ER after having numbness and tingling on my left side, then heart palpitations that even scared the ER doctor for a few seconds.  I was admitted and ran through a bunch of tests EKG's, MRI's, blood tests, the works, yet they could not find anything wrong with me.  Then later I was told that my TSH levels were low and I needed to ups my meds from .02mcg's to .05mcgs.  Was also given Metoprolol Tartrate to control the palpitations.  Even though I've stopped taking the Metaprolol, I feel better, but was never told that lack of meds could cause these reactions.  I do feel a little strange at times; maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but for the most part, ok.  Thank you for your reassuring post.
Me TOO! I was diagnosed with HYPO 2yrs ago< had a (left lobe ectomy) 1 1/2 yrs ago...and suffer from rapid heatbeat attacks! when i get them its scary...i would say it feels like a "panic attack"/ANXIETY..never experienced.it until now..im only 32 yrs old and scared. I told my doctor several times..and im treated like im makin it up..iv been so disscouraged by them! How can we all be  wrong here? NEED HELP  -kelly
This is a very long, old thread.  It might be a good idea to start a new thread so that members can address your individual concerns.  Just go to the top of the page and hit the orange "Post a Question" button.  

Please tell us a little more about yourself...post labs and ranges if you have them, list meds and dosage, tell us your symptoms. Perhaps we can give you some helpful insight.
have been reading this thread with interest.  I am a 59 1/2 year old woman who recently had a Bx of a  1.9 cm thyroid nodule.  They commented that on path report that they would have liked more follicular cells and also recommended serologic workup for Hashimoto's.  I have recently gained ten pounds without altering my diet, am bone tired, palpitations, have always had very low BP (still do)  profuse sweating and joint pain, irritability and puffy eyes, which is not normal for me..   I am awaiting results of thyroid anitbodies, adrenal function and iodine level.  I am a vegetarian, and will be having my TSH and free T4 as well as B12 (i do oral supplement) drawn on Monday, since the endocrinologist did not repeat the test that was done in Nov., in which my TSH was 1.90  (range 0.40-4.50) and free T4 was 1.1 (ref. range 0.8 - 1.8) I eat no salt (except salted almonds) and very little bread) My PC doc ordered the repeat thyroid tests after I just went to her last week because I'm getting nowhere so far with the endo.  I do like him very much, but so far, do not think that my symptoms are being taken seriously.
Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Hashimoto's (if that's what I have) a SYMPTOM of something else being wrong, and not a primary condition????
To complicate matters, right after I had the TSH and free T4 levels done that I mentioned, I began immunotherapy for allergic asthma to cat dander and dust mites.  (we have two elderly cats, 19 and 13 and I'm not about to get rid of them)  I have already had a systemic reaction to the shots and the doctor will more than likely titrate the serum to lessen the strength.   If I had sublclincal Hashimoto's, and then began immunotherapy, does anyone think that that might have exacerbated the condition since it is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the thyroid, and the shots would obviously stimulate the immune system?  I am feeling very unwell and so far, have really gotten no definitive answers and/or treatment from the endo that I am seeing.  He wants me to come back in six months to do another ultrasound on the nodule (1.9 cm) and I can't imagine having to feel this unwell for another half a year.  I am also under a great deal of stress as I take care of my mother, who lives across town and my father died two years ago after suffering horrificly for seven years after an upper right pulmonary lobectomy for what was supposed to be cancer, but was not.  
Please give me any guidance that you can.  
Please, start your own new thread as per instructions in my post immediately above yours.  This thread is old and long and takes forever to load.  You'll get more attention to your own concerns with a new thread.  Just copy and paste your above post into a new thread.
Hi everyone I'm a new comer, I've just been reading all your stories and can't believe how much of you have a racing heart with having a thyroid condition, I do too, I do believe they r both connected don't care what doctors say, my husbands family are all doctors as well, a few months ago I made an app with the endo and it was 3 months waiting so I thought while I wait to c the doctor il go c a naturopath, he did all my bloods and said they r not that bad but to some people r a lot more sensitive to others and he gave me all these things for an overactive thyroid, one month later the kicked in, I felt fantastic I started exercising doing Pilates walking everyday and walking my kids in the pram not feeling anxious anymore , my time came to c the endo and she said I had to get off all the herbal things and in 2 wks I went bak to panic attacks and the works so the endo put me on neo mercazole and it hasn't done anything, I went to emergency the other day thinking I was dying, they did my bloods and my tsh came bak 0.11 a lot worse, I won't leave the house because I'm scared incase it happens, I have another endo app tmrw and a house doctor came over today to give me Valium to get to the doctors tmrw, can't believe how bad it's gotten, I hope u all get better Its the worst feelings in the world.
Your actually not wrong I think u need to see another doctor, I'm 32 as well and I've had the same feeling for yrs I've only now started to get treatment cauz I persisted, I'm mariem1979 you can read my post it's all on there  hope it helps
Hi, I am new to this blog and I have been reading your stories.  I am 54 and was diagnoised with Hypo 3 years ago, I am on Levoxyl 75 and I haven't felt good in 3 years.  Now I am told after 3 weeks of feeling like I am dying all over again that I have low sodium and am acutally water toxic. Have any of your experienced the low sodium with your hypo thyroid.  I am desparate for answers and my doctor has the compassion of a dead fish.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Lost
Please start a new thread by going to the top of the page and clicking the orange "Post a Question" button.  This thread is old and long, and you'll get much more attention to you individual concerns in a new thread.  Thanks so much.
Hello everyone,

Yes it is very possible to have heart papls with hypothyroidism!  It may also be aggravated by adrenal fatigue (www.****.org). makes you have sugar and salt cravings.You're adrenal glands have to work extra hard to make up for low thyroid function. I finally found a Dr. who will listen to me and who cares about my health improving. Don't take no for an answer.. You know your body better than anyone else. Listen to your body and if your doctor tries to tell you that you are just depressed and you just have anxiety attacks and panic attacks then find a new doctor because those are all symptoms of hypothyroidism also. Taking a bunch of pills that you're body doesn't need to mask a whole host of symptoms won't help you're thyroid get well. What I've learned so far is to do your research. Watch your nutrition and take needed supplements to support your body. Find a Dr. who will listen to you. It took me 6 doctors to find one that would listen and treat my condition. I spent money out of pocket and now that I have found the right dr. I am hopeful to will recover. Hope is a big deal when you suffer from thyroid disease because most doctors don't listen to you and make you feel wrong. Stand your ground and don't be made a victim. Its not easy to push forward and see the light at the end of the tunnel but you are your own best advocate. A YouTube video I stumbled upon help me on the path to find my new doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=****
Im so thankful to read that Im not the only one going through this. I had my thyroid removed in June 2009 due to a nodule that had formed in the centre of my thyroid but I was informed, after half my thyroid was removed, that I have thyroid cancer. Anyway the rest pf the thyroid was removed and Im cancer free but little did I know at the time and thought everything would go back to normal. I also get palpitations that it wakes me up at night and my body shakes as a result. I contacted my specialist and on Monday Im going for a 24hr Holter ECG. Im on bilocor for the palpitations and my thyroid functions have stabilised..Ive got a strong feeling that my thyroid functions are out of balance again. Really trusting for a miracle!!!
Doctors often tell patients that their thyroid levels are adequate, when they are not.  Many doctors have the "Immaculate TSH Belief", with which they only go by TSH results to diagnose and treat a hypo patient.  This does not work. Others will test beyond TSH, usually for Free T4, but then they want to use "Reference Range Endocrinology", by which they will tell you that a thyroid test results that falls anywhere within the range is adequate.  That is also incorrect.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve hypo symptoms.  Symptom relief is all important, not just test results.  

What is your daily dosage of thyroid med?  What is the med you take?  Also, please post your thyroid related tests and their reference ranges and members will be better able to assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.
I want to know if any of you with hypo wake up suddenly out of a heavy sleep with racing heart and excessive sweating.
I have hypo and sleep apnea and I use my apnea machine every night.
So can anyone suggest anything
I have post traumatic stress disorder, panic attacks (from car accident), fibromyalgia , arthritis among other things
I'm taking synthroid, 2 different antidepressants, lyrica

We'd be able to respond better if you would please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges.  What is your synthroid dosage daily?  Since the primary cause of diagnosed hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, have you ever been tested for Hashi's?  Those tests are TPO ab and TG ab.  Since hypo patients are frequently low in other important areas as well, have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin?  If so, please post those results and reference ranges also.  
Thank you so much for this post. It really encouraged me. I am two years into diagnoses and still high tsh at 7.8. Having a hard time working because of anxiety attacks every day and heart palps... trying to stay positive. My thyroid is also very large. at 4cm. Not sure if I want it out or not as the doctor has suggested. Thanks for you post.
Is size the only reason the doctor thinks your thyroid gland should come out?

What thyroid meds and dosage are you taking daily?  If you will please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report, members will be better able to assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Also, have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin?  If so, please post those results and ranges as well.  If not, you should make sure to do so.
i'm  hypothyroid also  nd experiencing palpitations with no reason at all.
even my tsh normal my palpitations suddenly comes. im thinking  this is the side effect of thyroid medicine..my blood pressure goes up when i experience  this rapid heartbeat and my doc ask me  to take therablock 25mg as needed only..some doctors says its anxiety, panic attack. b4  i end up in hospital  almost everyday. they cnt find anything wrong. so now im reading materials about anxiety and panic attacks..somehow i control panic attacks. according to the info i read.. panic will soon be gone in minutes.. so as palpitations.. so ijust go out to  talk to friends. go o busy surrounding so i will not notice the attack..its harmless anyway..
im hypothyroid also. even my ths is normal i still hve palpitations.
i got so many questions to my dr. butshe just said not from  my thyroid.
palpitations  comes from panic attack and anxiety. Before  im always  rush
to hospital  then found  nothing wrong with me.. So many  things feeling
inside my body but what scare me most is  my palpitations.. i just ignore
pains. As i read  ur  comments now im sure  its from hypothyroidism  or
maybe the side  effect  of med  causing  anxiety  or panic attack. I hve controlled  frequency of panic attack after reading an article  and  explain what its all about.. Before  im suffering  from i almost  everyday  but now  every 3 months. Still dnt know hw  long  i cn have this problem.. For now  my dr ask me  to take atelonol  as needed whenever i got  palpitations.,
She dnt  advise  me hw to cure anxiety and panics..Whenever panic attacks .. i go  out to busy suroundings  and friends so i will not notice it. According  to what i read  it will just gone  for few min and it is harmless.
Please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.
You DO know that one of the side effects of levothyroxine is heart palpitations, RIGHT?  Do you not even know the side effects of the drugs you're taking?
I'm posting this to help someone else who is having these problems taking synthoid and CYTOMEL...
I found out there was a drug interaction with Cortisone and Cytomel.  It gave me extreme anxiety, heart palpitations, panic attacks within a couple hours after taking meds..  So if you are on any Cortisone like products do not take with Cytomel.  I had to be taken off cytomel and am just on a higher dose of synthroid to correct this, and have been off cortisone product for 2 weeks now.  I cannot believe how much better I feel.  I can't believe Doctors are not aware of this interaction.
Here's the link for more info...interactions w meds...SIDE EFFECTS

Hope this helps someone...you're not crazy!!

http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interactions-side-effects/Cortisone-Motrin-Cytomel-Synthroid-Growth-Hormone-6019113
What the interaction does is the cortisone increase your cytomel dosage
Drug interaction especially if you are on Cytomel....check what your using that has been different, especially if it was working prior...
i have not been diagnosed with anything yet, tho i have been miserable for over three years now with just about every symptom of thyroid problems tho tsh levels are good...tsh level was 1.7 two years ago and now 2.3, tmrrw i go in for t3 and t4 testing...cbc looks great except for eosinophils at 9.9...my mother had her thyroid removed at age 30 when she was PG with me and now finally the Dr i'm going to said that my enlarged heart, high pulse, low bp can be thyroid related...i feel like i have suffered a lot of pain for years and was also told it looks like i had a heart attack at one time...dr now says he will figure out what is wrong and hopefully soon as i dont sleep more than 2 hours a night for the last few months and havent had six straight hours of sleep in over 3 years...i've always been cold, feet and fingers are extremely cold and i live in AZ, extreme fatigue for over two years (ever since i had a complete hyst) depressed, trouble focusing (think i'm getting dementia...lol) low grade fever the last couple of months....almost constant chest pains, dull, aching pain....resting heart rate is always 90-100 and if i walk around the block it goes to 120-130 and stays that way for an hour...can't even take hot showers anymore due to the fact that my heart races to 130 for up to 2-3 hours after...mornings are the worst, takes me all morning to just get up and get going...evenings i feel the best, which is not saying much lately...i used to bike 5-10 miles every day, hike, and now i can barely walk 100 yards without wanting to kill over...in soo much pain and yet EKG shows fine...dr says after the next blood work results time to go to a cardio and find out why my heart is enlarged...just need some relief soon...any suggestions is greatly appreciated...
Count me in on the palpitations.  I have Hashi's and have been taking Nature Throid (same as Armour natural dessicated thyroid) for 5 years or so.  It was working really well to control my symptoms and my lab numbers were all very good.  All of a sudden in January I began having pounding palps, fast heart rate, anxiety, insomnia, same as everyone else here.  Like alot of you, I ended up in the ER having a full heart checkup.  They said my heart was fine and it must be stress.  Funny, I didn't feel stressed.  
After doing lots of research, I found out that there are two things that can interfere with your body processing your thyroid medication.  1.  If your cortisol is too low or too high.  Push your dr. for a cortisol saliva test to determine how much cortisol your body is producing at different times of the day.  The blood test does not tell you anything, but that is what most doctors will try to get you to do first.  2.  Low iron/ferritin levels can prevent your body from processing thyroid hormones properly.  Low iron can also cause palpitations!  Hypothyroidism causes malabsorption of nutrients due to low stomach acid, which is why so many people who are hypo are also low on iron and have palpitations.  I am post-menopausal, so was very surprised to learn, after having a full iron panel done, that my ferritin is extremely low as is my iron saturation.  Thank goodness for the people at The Hotze Clinic in Houston.  They actually know this!  I am now on iron supplements and taking low dose cortisol in the morning to correct the problems.  In the meantime, just until my levels are all normal again, they have me taking T3 only (Cytomel).  This seems to be doing the trick.  The palpitations are greatly improved, and I'm sleeping at night again.  I won't be back to normal until my iron is built up again and this does take time.  Just to know that we have a plan is such a relief.
Please do yourself a favor and read the book with the ridiculous title of "Stop The Thyroid Madness" by Janie Bowthorpe, available on Amazon.  It has all the information you need to know about most everything relating to your thyroid, no matter what the problem is.  And no, you're not crazy, you don't need anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds or beta-blockers.
If you can't find a dr. who is knowledgable (good luck with that), at the very least, please press them to do a full iron panel.  This could be the problem for most of you.  I hope this helps someone.  Be well.