palpitations and rapid heart beat with hypothyroid?
hi, my tsh is low normal and my t4 is very low at .54 - i have been getting sudden onsets of a rapid heart beat and lots of palpitations - i am not hashis or graves, endo is still trying to figure out why i am hypo at all..... i am on synthroid 50mcg. these symptoms are not any worse than before i started the medicine so thats not it...i am wondering if anyone else has had these rapid heart rates and palpitations with hypo? also i get really crabby all of a sudden when i get this,  my heart checks out fine at the cardiologist and endo says hypo dont cause heart palps ...
Thank you for your post!  I am on synthroid... so much going on.  A teacher in a busy job?  Anxiety?  Peri-menopause?  I was trying to sleep last week and by midnight, my heart would NOT settle down.  Went to hosp and they gave me a valium and sent me home but symptoms still continue.  It's got to be something else.  I need to get to the bottom of this! :)  CV
I know this is a post from several years back but I just wanted you to know that I'm going through the exact same things you are and wondering how and if you started feeling better?
Doubtful tht you will get a response after all this time.  I just wanted to mention that many doctors don't understand that rapid heartbeat or palpitations can also be caused by hypothyroidism.  There are knowledgeable and experienced members here who will be happy to help assess your status if you will post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Also, if taking thyroid med, please tell us what med and dosage.  Do you have any other symptoms?
yep can be hypo or hyper
I had the same thing for a year -did the whole cardiologist, blood work, etc. etc.. Finally I went to a Naturopath who discovered not only was my vit D super low (15 and range is supposed to be above 30) but I also had Hashimoto's thyroiditis. (Get tested for thyroid antibodies to check for this.) It took almost six months of 10,000 units of vitamin D/day but my palpitations finally stopped. The thyroid swings (insomnia, anxiety, freezing, low body temp, pain in joints and body, brain fog, period irregs) is finally diminishing too after I began Synthroid. -And my thyroid levels were "in range". I wish you all luck in fixing this. I'd still like to clop the Dr who suggested it was "all in my head". Lord save us from their ineptitude. Puh. ~MM
PLEASE READ. I have been having the same symptoms. My TSH is high above 6 and have been having rapid heart rate and palpitations. I've done some research and while normally you would have a slow heart rate with hypothyroidism, some cases have the opposite. This is because of the hormone that stimulates TSH which is TRH. When TRH is high it has very similar effects as adrenaline. Your hypothalamus excretes TRH so I'm not quite sure how to fix this, or if fixing the TSH will in turn fix the TRH. I am going to my doctor tomorrow to present him with my research and possibly see if we can test my TRH, since that is not part of the normal thyroid testing panel.
I've also found out that synthroid and all of its generics don't treat both T3 and T4, just T4. Amourthryoid, which is a more natural medication, treats both. Thyroid-info.com is a great site to check out. I hope this helps!
The above comments have all been very helpful. I have recently been having pounding palpitations at night for no apparent reason. and geneal raised blood pressure. I seem to have slight other symptoms too such as muscle pain and general but not overpowering fatique. My mother had hypothyroidism as a young woman. I am thinking its time I got myself checked out. thank you all will keep you posted.

frank
I had my thyroids removed 5 years ago and i was fine up until about 2 years ago i started having hot flashes extreme ones and my heart would take off flying and beat irregular and skip beats, they diagnosed me with panic disorder but found during the whole process of pain and suffering that my tsh levels were too high and for about 6 months i got better and my tsh level was stable now its out of whack again and my heart takes off flying skips beats hurts all the time and all the tests say my heart is fine and the only thing they can find wrong is my tsh level is off so they have upped my synthroid too 100mcg to see if that will help what i myself believe is slowly killing me because i am miserable
Do you have recent thyroid labs to post with reference ranges?  Ranges vary lab to lab so have to come from your own lab report.  We can comment a lot more intelligently if we see those.  If you don't have them, call your doctor and request a copy.  S/he has to provide one for you upon request.
I agree with AJW56 posted Jan 2009, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid 2 weeks ago and discovered the heart pounding was directly related to exhaustion even when I didn't feel tired. Between taking extra rest for a week and starting synthyroid my palps are gone. I will listen to my heart and get extra rest if I notice heart palps. Rest as in sitting more not neccessarily sleeping.
Well, I use to be hyper and after radioactive iodine 10yrs ago I have become hypo. I had rapid heart beats when I was hyper, but the rapid heart beats started with the hypo after I started taking the medication. Levothyroxine do not cure thyroid problems it only treat the ranges....However I think this med may be the reason my heart is racing and my body is tingling...I notice it only started after the med. May be helping in one way and affecting in another. No doctor will ever tell you that because they are in the business of practicing medicine and they do not know any other way to treat hypothyroidism....
Thyroid problems cause fibromyalgia the doctors say and fibromyalgia has no true source so it is associated with stress. When it is associated with stress there is a need for endocrinologist to associated it with depression. Depression and anxiety is the reason they give you the antidepressant medication. We are really having anxiety because they can't seem the figure out what the heck they are doing and don't seem to give a crap but this is the practice of medicine. I think doctors should  be held responsible for helping in the research and cures for these things they treat as a call of duty. maybe something will get done.
It sounds like your meds are not properly adjusted for you.  It might be a good idea to start a new thread so that members can address your individual concerns.  Just go to the top of the page and hit the orange "Post a Question" button.  

Please tell us a little more about yourself...post labs and ranges if you have them, list meds and dosage, tell us your symptoms.  Granted, thyroid treatment leaves a lot to be desired, but there are many of us who have managed to make the system work for us.  Perhaps we can give you some helpful hints.
i'm sooo tired of the heart palpitations.  they pretty much only occur between the hours of 4 am - 6 am -- after that i can sleep for 8 hours or more with no problem.

i still think the dosage on the levothyroxine is too high.  will be calling back the doctor's office on monday.  grrrr -- getting tired of this.

the palpitations began when i was on the nature-throid a few months ago -- turned out i am allergic to pork, so went off of them and my tsh came down rapidly but new doctor put me on levothyroxine and now the palpitations are back with a vengeneance.
What do your thyroid test results look like, along with reference ranges please?
Read the book "Solved - The Riddle of Illness" by Stephen E. Langer, MD and James F. Scheer.  Amazon sells it.  The light will shine by helping you understand what you have been going through and what could happen if you don't get help.  You will learn a great deal and realize you can have a fantastic life again.  I gave up on traditional western medical practitioners and decided to try a naturopathic doctor, Dr. Bradley West in Los Gatos & Santa Cruz.  What a relief!  I wish I would have made this move sooner.  I highly recommend him, especially if you suffer from intolerance to cold environments, have cold hands and feet, constipation, dry skin, irritability/mood swings, depression, lagging sexual drive, etc.  All of these things are tied into our hormone balance which we generally know very little about.  Traditional doctors only look at T3, which is ridiculous because all the hormones, antibodies, etc need to be evaluated together. You need the big picture to fix a problem. Good luck with your journey in finding the right balance for your body. Be comfortable again!
Goodness...I thought I was going nutts!  I ended up in the ER after having numbness and tingling on my left side, then heart palpitations that even scared the ER doctor for a few seconds.  I was admitted and ran through a bunch of tests EKG's, MRI's, blood tests, the works, yet they could not find anything wrong with me.  Then later I was told that my TSH levels were low and I needed to ups my meds from .02mcg's to .05mcgs.  Was also given Metoprolol Tartrate to control the palpitations.  Even though I've stopped taking the Metaprolol, I feel better, but was never told that lack of meds could cause these reactions.  I do feel a little strange at times; maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but for the most part, ok.  Thank you for your reassuring post.
Me TOO! I was diagnosed with HYPO 2yrs ago< had a (left lobe ectomy) 1 1/2 yrs ago...and suffer from rapid heatbeat attacks! when i get them its scary...i would say it feels like a "panic attack"/ANXIETY..never experienced.it until now..im only 32 yrs old and scared. I told my doctor several times..and im treated like im makin it up..iv been so disscouraged by them! How can we all be  wrong here? NEED HELP  -kelly
This is a very long, old thread.  It might be a good idea to start a new thread so that members can address your individual concerns.  Just go to the top of the page and hit the orange "Post a Question" button.  

Please tell us a little more about yourself...post labs and ranges if you have them, list meds and dosage, tell us your symptoms. Perhaps we can give you some helpful insight.
have been reading this thread with interest.  I am a 59 1/2 year old woman who recently had a Bx of a  1.9 cm thyroid nodule.  They commented that on path report that they would have liked more follicular cells and also recommended serologic workup for Hashimoto's.  I have recently gained ten pounds without altering my diet, am bone tired, palpitations, have always had very low BP (still do)  profuse sweating and joint pain, irritability and puffy eyes, which is not normal for me..   I am awaiting results of thyroid anitbodies, adrenal function and iodine level.  I am a vegetarian, and will be having my TSH and free T4 as well as B12 (i do oral supplement) drawn on Monday, since the endocrinologist did not repeat the test that was done in Nov., in which my TSH was 1.90  (range 0.40-4.50) and free T4 was 1.1 (ref. range 0.8 - 1.8) I eat no salt (except salted almonds) and very little bread) My PC doc ordered the repeat thyroid tests after I just went to her last week because I'm getting nowhere so far with the endo.  I do like him very much, but so far, do not think that my symptoms are being taken seriously.
Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Hashimoto's (if that's what I have) a SYMPTOM of something else being wrong, and not a primary condition????
To complicate matters, right after I had the TSH and free T4 levels done that I mentioned, I began immunotherapy for allergic asthma to cat dander and dust mites.  (we have two elderly cats, 19 and 13 and I'm not about to get rid of them)  I have already had a systemic reaction to the shots and the doctor will more than likely titrate the serum to lessen the strength.   If I had sublclincal Hashimoto's, and then began immunotherapy, does anyone think that that might have exacerbated the condition since it is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the thyroid, and the shots would obviously stimulate the immune system?  I am feeling very unwell and so far, have really gotten no definitive answers and/or treatment from the endo that I am seeing.  He wants me to come back in six months to do another ultrasound on the nodule (1.9 cm) and I can't imagine having to feel this unwell for another half a year.  I am also under a great deal of stress as I take care of my mother, who lives across town and my father died two years ago after suffering horrificly for seven years after an upper right pulmonary lobectomy for what was supposed to be cancer, but was not.  
Please give me any guidance that you can.  
Please, start your own new thread as per instructions in my post immediately above yours.  This thread is old and long and takes forever to load.  You'll get more attention to your own concerns with a new thread.  Just copy and paste your above post into a new thread.
Hi everyone I'm a new comer, I've just been reading all your stories and can't believe how much of you have a racing heart with having a thyroid condition, I do too, I do believe they r both connected don't care what doctors say, my husbands family are all doctors as well, a few months ago I made an app with the endo and it was 3 months waiting so I thought while I wait to c the doctor il go c a naturopath, he did all my bloods and said they r not that bad but to some people r a lot more sensitive to others and he gave me all these things for an overactive thyroid, one month later the kicked in, I felt fantastic I started exercising doing Pilates walking everyday and walking my kids in the pram not feeling anxious anymore , my time came to c the endo and she said I had to get off all the herbal things and in 2 wks I went bak to panic attacks and the works so the endo put me on neo mercazole and it hasn't done anything, I went to emergency the other day thinking I was dying, they did my bloods and my tsh came bak 0.11 a lot worse, I won't leave the house because I'm scared incase it happens, I have another endo app tmrw and a house doctor came over today to give me Valium to get to the doctors tmrw, can't believe how bad it's gotten, I hope u all get better Its the worst feelings in the world.
Your actually not wrong I think u need to see another doctor, I'm 32 as well and I've had the same feeling for yrs I've only now started to get treatment cauz I persisted, I'm mariem1979 you can read my post it's all on there  hope it helps
Hi, I am new to this blog and I have been reading your stories.  I am 54 and was diagnoised with Hypo 3 years ago, I am on Levoxyl 75 and I haven't felt good in 3 years.  Now I am told after 3 weeks of feeling like I am dying all over again that I have low sodium and am acutally water toxic. Have any of your experienced the low sodium with your hypo thyroid.  I am desparate for answers and my doctor has the compassion of a dead fish.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Lost
Please start a new thread by going to the top of the page and clicking the orange "Post a Question" button.  This thread is old and long, and you'll get much more attention to you individual concerns in a new thread.  Thanks so much.
Hello everyone,

Yes it is very possible to have heart papls with hypothyroidism!  It may also be aggravated by adrenal fatigue (www.****.org). makes you have sugar and salt cravings.You're adrenal glands have to work extra hard to make up for low thyroid function. I finally found a Dr. who will listen to me and who cares about my health improving. Don't take no for an answer.. You know your body better than anyone else. Listen to your body and if your doctor tries to tell you that you are just depressed and you just have anxiety attacks and panic attacks then find a new doctor because those are all symptoms of hypothyroidism also. Taking a bunch of pills that you're body doesn't need to mask a whole host of symptoms won't help you're thyroid get well. What I've learned so far is to do your research. Watch your nutrition and take needed supplements to support your body. Find a Dr. who will listen to you. It took me 6 doctors to find one that would listen and treat my condition. I spent money out of pocket and now that I have found the right dr. I am hopeful to will recover. Hope is a big deal when you suffer from thyroid disease because most doctors don't listen to you and make you feel wrong. Stand your ground and don't be made a victim. Its not easy to push forward and see the light at the end of the tunnel but you are your own best advocate. A YouTube video I stumbled upon help me on the path to find my new doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=****
Im so thankful to read that Im not the only one going through this. I had my thyroid removed in June 2009 due to a nodule that had formed in the centre of my thyroid but I was informed, after half my thyroid was removed, that I have thyroid cancer. Anyway the rest pf the thyroid was removed and Im cancer free but little did I know at the time and thought everything would go back to normal. I also get palpitations that it wakes me up at night and my body shakes as a result. I contacted my specialist and on Monday Im going for a 24hr Holter ECG. Im on bilocor for the palpitations and my thyroid functions have stabilised..Ive got a strong feeling that my thyroid functions are out of balance again. Really trusting for a miracle!!!
Doctors often tell patients that their thyroid levels are adequate, when they are not.  Many doctors have the "Immaculate TSH Belief", with which they only go by TSH results to diagnose and treat a hypo patient.  This does not work. Others will test beyond TSH, usually for Free T4, but then they want to use "Reference Range Endocrinology", by which they will tell you that a thyroid test results that falls anywhere within the range is adequate.  That is also incorrect.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve hypo symptoms.  Symptom relief is all important, not just test results.  

What is your daily dosage of thyroid med?  What is the med you take?  Also, please post your thyroid related tests and their reference ranges and members will be better able to assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.
I want to know if any of you with hypo wake up suddenly out of a heavy sleep with racing heart and excessive sweating.
I have hypo and sleep apnea and I use my apnea machine every night.
So can anyone suggest anything
I have post traumatic stress disorder, panic attacks (from car accident), fibromyalgia , arthritis among other things
I'm taking synthroid, 2 different antidepressants, lyrica

We'd be able to respond better if you would please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges.  What is your synthroid dosage daily?  Since the primary cause of diagnosed hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, have you ever been tested for Hashi's?  Those tests are TPO ab and TG ab.  Since hypo patients are frequently low in other important areas as well, have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin?  If so, please post those results and reference ranges also.  
Thank you so much for this post. It really encouraged me. I am two years into diagnoses and still high tsh at 7.8. Having a hard time working because of anxiety attacks every day and heart palps... trying to stay positive. My thyroid is also very large. at 4cm. Not sure if I want it out or not as the doctor has suggested. Thanks for you post.
Is size the only reason the doctor thinks your thyroid gland should come out?

What thyroid meds and dosage are you taking daily?  If you will please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report, members will be better able to assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Also, have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin?  If so, please post those results and ranges as well.  If not, you should make sure to do so.
i'm  hypothyroid also  nd experiencing palpitations with no reason at all.
even my tsh normal my palpitations suddenly comes. im thinking  this is the side effect of thyroid medicine..my blood pressure goes up when i experience  this rapid heartbeat and my doc ask me  to take therablock 25mg as needed only..some doctors says its anxiety, panic attack. b4  i end up in hospital  almost everyday. they cnt find anything wrong. so now im reading materials about anxiety and panic attacks..somehow i control panic attacks. according to the info i read.. panic will soon be gone in minutes.. so as palpitations.. so ijust go out to  talk to friends. go o busy surrounding so i will not notice the attack..its harmless anyway..
im hypothyroid also. even my ths is normal i still hve palpitations.
i got so many questions to my dr. butshe just said not from  my thyroid.
palpitations  comes from panic attack and anxiety. Before  im always  rush
to hospital  then found  nothing wrong with me.. So many  things feeling
inside my body but what scare me most is  my palpitations.. i just ignore
pains. As i read  ur  comments now im sure  its from hypothyroidism  or
maybe the side  effect  of med  causing  anxiety  or panic attack. I hve controlled  frequency of panic attack after reading an article  and  explain what its all about.. Before  im suffering  from i almost  everyday  but now  every 3 months. Still dnt know hw  long  i cn have this problem.. For now  my dr ask me  to take atelonol  as needed whenever i got  palpitations.,
She dnt  advise  me hw to cure anxiety and panics..Whenever panic attacks .. i go  out to busy suroundings  and friends so i will not notice it. According  to what i read  it will just gone  for few min and it is harmless.
Please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.
You DO know that one of the side effects of levothyroxine is heart palpitations, RIGHT?  Do you not even know the side effects of the drugs you're taking?
I'm posting this to help someone else who is having these problems taking synthoid and CYTOMEL...
I found out there was a drug interaction with Cortisone and Cytomel.  It gave me extreme anxiety, heart palpitations, panic attacks within a couple hours after taking meds..  So if you are on any Cortisone like products do not take with Cytomel.  I had to be taken off cytomel and am just on a higher dose of synthroid to correct this, and have been off cortisone product for 2 weeks now.  I cannot believe how much better I feel.  I can't believe Doctors are not aware of this interaction.
Here's the link for more info...interactions w meds...SIDE EFFECTS

Hope this helps someone...you're not crazy!!

http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interactions-side-effects/Cortisone-Motrin-Cytomel-Synthroid-Growth-Hormone-6019113
What the interaction does is the cortisone increase your cytomel dosage
Drug interaction especially if you are on Cytomel....check what your using that has been different, especially if it was working prior...
i have not been diagnosed with anything yet, tho i have been miserable for over three years now with just about every symptom of thyroid problems tho tsh levels are good...tsh level was 1.7 two years ago and now 2.3, tmrrw i go in for t3 and t4 testing...cbc looks great except for eosinophils at 9.9...my mother had her thyroid removed at age 30 when she was PG with me and now finally the Dr i'm going to said that my enlarged heart, high pulse, low bp can be thyroid related...i feel like i have suffered a lot of pain for years and was also told it looks like i had a heart attack at one time...dr now says he will figure out what is wrong and hopefully soon as i dont sleep more than 2 hours a night for the last few months and havent had six straight hours of sleep in over 3 years...i've always been cold, feet and fingers are extremely cold and i live in AZ, extreme fatigue for over two years (ever since i had a complete hyst) depressed, trouble focusing (think i'm getting dementia...lol) low grade fever the last couple of months....almost constant chest pains, dull, aching pain....resting heart rate is always 90-100 and if i walk around the block it goes to 120-130 and stays that way for an hour...can't even take hot showers anymore due to the fact that my heart races to 130 for up to 2-3 hours after...mornings are the worst, takes me all morning to just get up and get going...evenings i feel the best, which is not saying much lately...i used to bike 5-10 miles every day, hike, and now i can barely walk 100 yards without wanting to kill over...in soo much pain and yet EKG shows fine...dr says after the next blood work results time to go to a cardio and find out why my heart is enlarged...just need some relief soon...any suggestions is greatly appreciated...
Count me in on the palpitations.  I have Hashi's and have been taking Nature Throid (same as Armour natural dessicated thyroid) for 5 years or so.  It was working really well to control my symptoms and my lab numbers were all very good.  All of a sudden in January I began having pounding palps, fast heart rate, anxiety, insomnia, same as everyone else here.  Like alot of you, I ended up in the ER having a full heart checkup.  They said my heart was fine and it must be stress.  Funny, I didn't feel stressed.  
After doing lots of research, I found out that there are two things that can interfere with your body processing your thyroid medication.  1.  If your cortisol is too low or too high.  Push your dr. for a cortisol saliva test to determine how much cortisol your body is producing at different times of the day.  The blood test does not tell you anything, but that is what most doctors will try to get you to do first.  2.  Low iron/ferritin levels can prevent your body from processing thyroid hormones properly.  Low iron can also cause palpitations!  Hypothyroidism causes malabsorption of nutrients due to low stomach acid, which is why so many people who are hypo are also low on iron and have palpitations.  I am post-menopausal, so was very surprised to learn, after having a full iron panel done, that my ferritin is extremely low as is my iron saturation.  Thank goodness for the people at The Hotze Clinic in Houston.  They actually know this!  I am now on iron supplements and taking low dose cortisol in the morning to correct the problems.  In the meantime, just until my levels are all normal again, they have me taking T3 only (Cytomel).  This seems to be doing the trick.  The palpitations are greatly improved, and I'm sleeping at night again.  I won't be back to normal until my iron is built up again and this does take time.  Just to know that we have a plan is such a relief.
Please do yourself a favor and read the book with the ridiculous title of "Stop The Thyroid Madness" by Janie Bowthorpe, available on Amazon.  It has all the information you need to know about most everything relating to your thyroid, no matter what the problem is.  And no, you're not crazy, you don't need anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds or beta-blockers.
If you can't find a dr. who is knowledgable (good luck with that), at the very least, please press them to do a full iron panel.  This could be the problem for most of you.  I hope this helps someone.  Be well.
I too have had hypothyroidism since my daughter was born 9 years ago, my sister has Graves which helped me realize it was probably my thyroid when I started having symptoms of irregular heart beat and really tired, dry skin and constipated. Got on Lexothyroxine 9 years ago and had been fine.  Now the last year I've been having heart palps all the time went to the doctor had ekg done said heart is fine.  Thought since I'm 45 maybe it was peri-menopause but now the last month I've been feeling like I'm getting hyper instead of hypo.  Heart beating out of my chest, can't breath good, anxious, diarrhea for the past month, shaky feeling.  Stop taking my meds for now still feel terrible.  Can't get into the Dr for almost a month Argh.
What dosage are you taking daily?  Please post your latest thyroid related tests and their reference ranges, as shown on the lab report.  When you were originally diagnosed as hypothyroid, what was the basis for that diagnosis?  If it was based on test results, please post those old results and ranges if you have them.
Check this website. It is certainly me and may be also all of you. Regular doctors do not know how to check the Deep Tisue Thyroid Deficiency. The only way it can be determined is if they check T3r and if it is too much comparing to the T3 it is low Thyroid problem. I have that and i am taking Sustained Release Compounded T3 hormone daily wich helped me for depression, energy levels and weight loss.
http://tiredthyroid.com/feeling-hyper-when-hypo.html
Thanks for the post.  We are well aware of the importance of having a good ratio of Free T3 to Reverse T3.  Whenever it seems that there could be an issue in that area, we don't hesitate to recommend testing for Reverse T3.  In fact if you peruse our posts over the last couple of weeks, I think I remember several instances like that.
I began having heart palps that skipped a beat every 5 beats or so. After an EKG which showed a skipping but not dangerous heart and a blood test, my TSH came up at 16.28, T4,Free was .84. Vitamin D was also low, at 17.1. There was no category for T3 and everything else was normal. I was prescribed 50 mcg of Levothyroxine per day 3 weeks ago as well as 1.25 mg of vitamin D to be taken once weekly. Neither seem to be helping. The heart palpations are scary. Any suggestions? More time?
This is a very old, long thread.  It would be best if your started your own new thread where we can address your individual concerns.

More time...yes!  It takes 4-6 weeks for a dose to reach its full potential in your blood.  Furthermore, the initial dose we are put on is at best an educated guess.  After 4-6 weeks, labs should be repeated, symptoms re-evaluated and meds adjusted.  

When you start your thread (Post a Question at the top of the page), please provide reference ranges for your thyroid tests as they vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.

Also, please tell us about any other symptoms you are experiencing.
I AM REALLY CONFUSED WITH MY BODY NOW. I DO KNOW I AM NOT ALONE THOUGH. I WAS HAVING RAPID HEARTBEAT BEFORE I STARTED THE NATURE THROID. I HAVE HEADACHES MORE OFTEN NOW AND IT FEELS MORE LIKE PRESSURE. I SO WANT TO CHANGE MY LIFESTYLE. I DONT HAVE ANY ENERGY OR MOJO TO EXERCISE. MY RAPID HEARTBEATS ARE FREAKING ME OUT! I AM HYPO. TIME TO SCHEDULE FOR BLOODWORK. SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT WITH MY BODY. MY BODY FEELS RUN DOWN AND AGED TO THE MAX. THE HOT FLASHES AND NIGHT SWEATS ARE AGGRAVATING! WILL THIS GET BETTER AND HOW?

When you start your thread (Post a Question at the top of the page), please provide lab results with reference ranges for your thyroid tests as they vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.

Tell us how long you've been on NT.  Were you on other thyroid meds previously?  

It will get better once you optimize your thyroid meds for YOU.  Just being "in range" on tests isn't enough; you have to be where you feel best and where your symptoms are resolved.
I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism, by my PCP. I will not be able to see the Endocrinologist for another 6 weeks, so I can't give you my numbers.  I have every symptom listed for hypothyroidism, however my heart rate is a steady 140.  Even though I'm a classic Hypo patient,  my heart is running wide open.  I was put on a Beta Blocker last week and I already feel much better.  I hope someone can explain why my heart rate is sooo high, when everything else is slow???
I&#39;m suffering from thyroiditis now. I still have to undergo scanning to know the exact problem in my thyroid. In the meantime, I have to take tyrenol and some steroids prescribed by my endo. I took the prescription once today. But I suddenly had palpitations and still up to this moment. It&#39;s been almost 4 hours already that my heart is pounding really hard and I can really feel it all over my chest. But there&#39;s no pain, thankfully. I was just checked in the emergency and to my relief, the doctor said that my heart was okay. However, I feel like there&#39;s a drum being hammered inside my chest. It&#39;s debilitating. This is the worst palpitation I have ever had. I will share more about my condition once I get the results. Be well.
What's the reference range for the T4?  Reference ranges vary from lab to lab and have to come from your own report.  Also, is that Free T4 or Total T4?  They aren't the same test, so it should specify on the report. If it doesn't say Free T4, then it's Total T4, which is considered outdated.

I assume that you've been tested for antibodies, to know that you don't have, either, Hashimoto's?  Graves Disease is associated only with hyperthyroidism, so would not be a consideration with hypothyroidism.

Have you had a thyroid ultrasound?  Some people without antibodies are diagnosed with Hashimoto's, based on characteristics of the thyroid, determined during ultrasound.

All of that said, rapid heart beat and palpitations are often symptoms of hypothyroidism, though most people, including doctors consider them only as symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I had them both very bad when I was at my most hypo and had to be on a beta blocker for a while to get rid of them.  Anxiety was a big contributor to them.  That also resulted in anti-anxiety med for a couple of years, but I've been off the beta blocker for over 5 years and the anti-anxiety med for over 4 years, so neither has to be permanent.

Those particular symptoms went away when my thyroid hormone levels got up closer to where I needed them.

Your doctors are wrong when they say these can't be symptoms of being hypo.
READ THIS FOR RAPID HEART BEAT AND HYPOTHYROID:  "What few understand is that a fast heart rate can also result when someone is severely hypothyroid. If neither the doctor nor patient understands this, then a patient presenting with a fast heart rate, high blood pressure, and anxiety may incorrectly receive a hyperthyroid diagnosis, when they are actually severely hypothyroid.

"They may be prescribed beta blockers for their blood pressure and benzodiazepines for their anxiety, when what they really need is thyroid hormone. The adrenal glands secrete noradrenaline to compensate for the lack of thyroid hormone, and noradrenaline raises the heart rate. Unfortunately, it’s hard to secrete just a little noradrenaline, so the heart rate becomes elevated, blood pressure rises, and the person feels anxious. TSH may be normal, but low Free T3 and Free T4 levels and a low body temperature confirm the hypothyroid state.

"My heart rate was 100 bpm (beats per minute) and blood pressure 170/100 when I was only taking ½ grain of desiccated thyroid. Raising my dose brought everything back into the normal range..." MORE HERE:  http://www.tiredthyroid.com/blog/2014/08/05/a-fast-heart-rate-occurs-when-hypothyroid-or-hyperthyroid/

I have low T4 and all symptoms of hypothyroid yet rapid heart beat, high exicitability, anxiety, and even internal shaking:  NORADRENALINE!!!  And doctors for my last 5 blood tests have been missing this and always so "shocked" that i am NOT hyperthyoid and only run the THS test.  It wasn't until I went myself to a lab and ordered the full thyroid panel and paid for it myself that I found out.  Ugh!!!  Get your own tests full thyroid panel if your doc only orders the TSH because that did NOT show mine.  It was my T3 and T4 that were low - my TSH was normal range.
Here's a link where you can get all the 5 thyroid tests for $88 (you would use a local lab by you to draw the blood). https://www.ultalabtests.com/thyroidpharmacist/Item/Item/TP-Root-Cause-Thyroid-Panel-2

Good article here about how NOT to just get the TSH test but all FIVE the entire panel:
https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/top-6-thyroid-tests/
oops!  sorry, here's the direct link to the 5 tests:
https://www.ultalabtests.com/thyroidpharmacist/Item/Item/TP-Root-Cause-Thyroid-Panel-2