Thyroid Disorders Community
partial thyroidectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

partial thyroidectomy

I am scheduled for a possible partial thyroidectomy on 2/28/12. I have a nodule on the left side that is about 5cm. (2inches) that I am now experiencing hoarsness. I am scared to death! I do not know what to expect post op. All of my thyroid studies have been normal, just a goiter I guess. Hopefully he will only remove the left side of the thyroid and leave the right to still produce hormone. Anyone can give me insight to what to expect. I am very active, do personal training and play tennis and they are saying 6-8 week out of these activities. Seems a bit much to me but let me know you thoughts.

Scared to death!
I had a large nodule on the left side (over 3 cm) and had it removed in July 2011.  It was outpatient surgery, and the worst part for me was getting the darn IV inserted because the nurse didn't seem to know what she was doing.  I was very scared too, but even though the biopsy showed that it was benign, I could feel it in my throat.  It made my throat extremely tight feeling.  Afterwards, I had a very sore throat and didn't want to eat much, just drink water for a day or so.  My neck was sore, and I couldn't turn it very well, so I couldn't drive for two days.  I'm also very active, but your body does need time to recover.  I felt like myself in less than a month, but everyone's different.  You definitely need to give time for the incision to heal.  Even though I didn't need to have the surgery, I'm so glad that I did.  Good luck to you!!
I also had a goiter with nodules on both sides and had a Total Thyroidectomy. The plus side of having half a thyroid is that the partial gland will still produce hormone function but you may need hormone replacement or you may not. Everyone is different and it all depends on your symptoms and your thyroid labs. The reason for the recovery period is mainly for the scar to heal.  Did the surgeon tell you that he may have to do a total???
yes, depending on how much the nodule if at all, invaded the other side. Hoping not. How was your recovery? Painful? not bad.....?Will the hoarsenss go away?
Thanks! I am glad you did so well. That helps a lot.
My Surgery went well. . I had three opinions until I was comfortable with my surgeon. The most important factor is: Who is doing the surgery. You want a very experienced surgeon who focuses on the Thyroid and has done more than 50 Thyroid Surgeries per year. Not sure about partial, but a Total take between 3-4 hrs to complete. One night hospital stay in amb surg. Because of the fact that  a tube is inserted down the throat during surgery, you may have discomfort in the chest area (similiar to a chest cold), and soreness when you swallow. It will be difficult to turn your neck until the stiffness goes away. The incision area will be very tender and sore. The nurse will give instructions as to showering and bathing. Calcium levels will more than likely drop so you may be given a script for calcium supplements. Healing time depends on the patient. It was difficult for me to get out of bed for a couple of days due to the stiffness and soreness and my calcium level dropped and cause tingling and numbness all over my body. I was up and about within three days as the healing began. My diagnosis was: multiple nodule/Enlarged Goiter. One nodule was "cold" and "solid" , fna results were: Follicular and Hurthle cell Neoplasm on either side of my thyroid which waranted removal (Total)...Fna couldn't determine benign which was also a factor. Thank God the pathology report came back benign. I am struggling without a thyroid and would surely recommend anyone to not have a Total if possible. Grant it, some patients are doing well without it and the med's work for them, but my story is different. God Bless You and you will be fine.