Thyroid Disorders Community
post thyroidectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

post thyroidectomy

9 days post op and feeling lump in throat and neck tightness
any suggestion
Neck tightness is normal, I think. Mine did not disappear for one year--it gradually went away. Perhaps someone else can address the lump in throat.  
I actually am 2 weeks past surgery and I feel like a lump is in my throat somethings.  The incision is right where the adams apple would be and my uneducated opinion is that the scar lump is interfering with it moving properly feeling like a lump in my throat.  Could just be the scar tissue itself.  Surgeon said it was a normal feeling though.
The feeling of lump in throat and neck tightness is the scar tissue forming and the healing.  It was difficult for me to turn my head and swallow for a few months following both of my surgeries.  

When is your followup with your surgeon?  Discuss it with him/her.
Avatar n tn
Im 9 days post op too and also have same symptoms - lump in the throat, tightness. I also have ear ache in both ears most of the time and a constant headache at the back of my head/top of my spine. Swallowing feels like a golf ball is stuck somewhere.Surugeon says maybe as good as it gets for a long while Well merry Xmas to hiim too !
The scar is very 'rope like' and there is marble sized swelling at one end. Surgeoon says surgery was very difficult (nearly 6 hours in theatre) and part of my left lobe couldnt be removed due to complications - (I was due for total thyroidectomy) Waiting biopsy results and thyroid bloods in clinic on 3rd Jan