Thyroid Disorders Community
prediabetes and hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

prediabetes and hypothyroidism

I was just told by my doctor that I have pre diabetes and that I need to cut sugar out of my diet.  I am not a big person only 115 pounds and I have always been athletic so I wondered how this could have happened.  The doctor told me it was genetic.  Since I have cut sugar out of my diet I have had swelling in the bottom of my feet.  The swelling originally started when I began taking the birth control pill ellesse years earlier.  I would get sick with a flu or cold every time I had the swelling and it always seemed the swelling started after eating something red.  For ex after having tylenol with red coating or red jams etc.  It was almost like an alergic (allergic) reaction.  The most recent swelling I had just the other day was because I had ketchup on my burgers.  I did put a lot of ketchup on my burger and i dont know if the swelling was a result of the sugar or if it could be something else like hypothyroidism.  I was also drinking a lot of water that day.  My grandmother had to take tyroid medication and my mother was told her thyroid was swollen but the doctor didnt do anything for her.  Its frustrating not knowing what is a result of the prediabetes and what could possibly be something else.  One doctor said that my thyroid levels were fine but is it possible that i have flucuations?  I believe my thyroid level was 5.1.  Is that in the normal range?  I was also having some muscle pains a while back as well as in the neck and shoulder blade.  I also had sleered speach in the summer when my neck muscle was inflamed.  This however could have been a result of prediabetes I think?              
I had high type II diabetes 3 years ago, my mother is diabetic.  My high was 330 mg/dl,.  Too make a long story short.  

I purchased a treadmill and started walking daily, till I worked myself up to 1.5 - 2 miles at a fast pace.  Each time, I blood test afterwards, my diabetes average began decreasing.  I tried Glyburide, but didn't help (long story),.  So I refused to take any meds.  

So for a year, I just worked out on the treadmill daily, even weekends.  A year later, my diabetes returned to the normal range, and has been there ever since.  

Diabetes can be controlled, with proper diet and exercise.  Although I ate up a storm, I ate healthy.  

Good luck to you !!