Thyroid Disorders Community
preparing for Thyrogen scan?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

preparing for Thyrogen scan?

Brief history:  papillary carcinoma with spread to cervical and mediastinal nodes (Stage II); TT 12/07; RAI (200mCi) 2/08.  MRI for salivary gland infection 7/08 revealed a suspicious node.  Biopsy 8/08 showed papillary cells. Tg is 1.3, post-surgery 2.3.  We don't know if this is recurrent, or residual from first surgery/RAI.  I'm scheduled for WBS with Thyrogen on 9/11, but have questions.

I had iodine as antiseptic for the biopsy (alergic (allergic) to Chloraprep); don't I have to wait 6 weeks for iodine to clear for accurate uptake with the scan?

My endo didn't mention LID to prep for scan (I forgot to ask and am waiting for a return call).  Shouldn't I have LID for 2 weeks pre-scan?  (I did 3 1/2 weeks LID before first scan/RAI; I wanted SUPER uptake.)

According to Thyrogen website, they have a 5 day test schedule (Day 1: shot; Day 2: shot; Day 3: tracer dose; Day 4: nothing; Day 5: WBS).  My endo has me on a 4 day schedule (eliminating the empty fourth day).  Is that enough time for the Thyrogen to do its thing, as well as the tracer dose?

Also, will I most likely be able to work after the shots, or should I prepare for a day or two off work?

Thanks, all.
1. Don't have any info on the iodine.

2. I recently did my 6 month post op scan with thyrogen injections and did NOT do the LID.  I did it the first time for 2 weeks but I also went into a fantastic state of hypohe// instead of the injections.

3. My test schedule was on the 5 day plan, I would ask your doc about doing the scan after 4 days. I'm sure it'll be fine.

4. Yes, you will be able to work after the shots. I didn't feel any different.  
I have been told that it is important to follow the 5 day protocol for Thyrogen.  I have done Thyrogen 3 times, and each time I did the LID for 2 weeks. Good luck.
Trish