Thyroid Disorders Community
pushing for diagnosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

pushing for diagnosis

I'm looking for advice on whether or not to continue pushing for diagnosis.
Here's the background:

My mother has Graves. Two of her sisters have thyroid problems. Her grandmother had Graves. I was a teenager when I was first tested and told I was borderline and would need medication within the next few years. College came and went, and my health insurance went too. I didn't have any serious symptoms so I didn't worry.  Now I am 26 and had my thyroid tested again. I live in France and asked my doctor to order a test. She did but said they normally don't order it (even with family history) unless there are symptoms present. However, I do have symptoms; irregular heartbeat, very
dry skin, irregular period, hair loss, always cold, irritability, very fatigued, etc. Well the test results came back.

Free T4    10.40 ng/l              range: 8-17
TSH         4.296 micUI/ml      range: 0.250 - 4.000
(The European units may be different so I included the rages given on
the blood work.)

My doctor sent a letter saying that every thing is normal (which as you can see, my TSH was slightly above). I cried when I received it. I thought everything was going to be explained and I would get to feel normal. I would have thought that given the borderline result and family history, the next step would be an antibodies test. Now my question
is, do I push and force my way into a specialist? Does my blood test warrant this? The French way of thinking is that if that doctor says it's ok, then it is. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on this thyroid issue and I'm being a hypochondriac. Any advice would be
appreciated.
  i had the same problem,your doctor legally can not do anything unless your counts are way off.i went and saw a specialist and he adjusted my meds on the way i felt...not according to the counts.he explained that each person is different so there really is not a "normal"range.only a specialist can give you meds if according to your doctor you are in the "normal" range. i had the same problem and in a weird way when i was getting blood tests done i was hoping it would show something,when it came back "normal"i was extremely fustrated.thats when i asked to be referred to a specialist.
Thanks for your perspective. I was hesitant to seek out a referral. I didn't want to be the pushy, problem patient who insits on treatment if it's not necessary. But, at this stage I guess only a specialist can deem if it's necessary or not.