Thyroid Disorders Community
quickly changing TSH levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

quickly changing TSH levels

I am 14 weeks pregnant and I had a TSH test done last Tues. 6/19/07 at my family doctor's office.  The nurse called me the same day to tell me my TSH was 2.05.  Three days later, on 6/22/07, my OB ordered a TSH also (even though I had just had one and showed him the results of 2.05).  The nurse from the OB's office called me yesterday to tell me my TSH was 1.66.  My question is how could the TSH level have dropped so much in just 3 days?  Is there a possible problem with one of those tests?  The results were sent to 2 different labs.  I had increased my Synthroid slightly in those 3 days in between, but the change still seems quite drastic.
That could explain it - two different Labs, two different machines and methods of calculating test.

Or just being pregnant.

Or med. dose change.
(I doubt 3 days would effect TSH so soon, but never know, nothing is100%)

Or could be a chance that one of the Labs was in error.

Or could be that you did something different...eat certain foods, drug/medications, time of day between the two test, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as TSH change  is within Labs reference range in the safe zone, which both were.  However, keep up with regular testing for being pregnant will change your levels throughtout with you needing meds dose changes as your level requires.

Good Luck With Baby.

GL
Thanks for responding to my question.  I am trying to keep my TSH level between 1.0 and 2.0 because I've read in several books that the TSH range to maintain a healthy pregnancy is between 1.0 and 2.0.  Of course, I was getting nervous when my level was at 2.05.  I hope if there was a lab error, it was with the 2.05 not the 1.66.

What time of day do you suggest is better to take a TSH test--morning or afternoon?  I've always gone in the morning because it's easier for me.

Thaanks for all your help,
Logris
I agree with keeping TSH level between 1 and 2.. But the 0.05 is such a small difference and if you try to tweak it better, you might overshoot your goal and go out in the other direction. It is such a touch thing. However, I wouldn't let TSH go out any further either direction...both could be bad.

Hyper's do testing as early as possible in the AM because that is when TSH level is the lowest. Hypo's test as late in the PM as possible because that is when TSH level is the highest.  Although, I have read legit sites relate that there is no difference in THS level from the AM to the PM.  Whereas other legit sites recommends testing with the Hyper AM and hypo PM theory.
However, if you are pretty consistence with the time, med.dose will compensate, showing in levels. In other words, your levels and med. dose is calibrated to timing.

Do right by yourslef, your thyroid, and your baby, you should have no problems.  (Y)  :)

Again, congrats on the baby and Good Luck to all of you.

GL

I once had my TSH drop from 7 to 2 in only a week, so it seems it can fluctuate quite a bit. Good luck with your pregnancy! :)
-MR
Thanks again for responding.  You seem well informed.  I have 1 more question.
Which test is done to check for antibodies?  I've been reading some older posts on this forum and some women miscarried because they were high on antibodies.  I'm not sure if I ever had an antibodies test.  I've had TSH tests and T3, T4 and T7 tests.  About 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism my endo said he thought it was autoimmune related since my mom has several autoimmune diseases.  I'm going to request an antibodies test.  I'm overly concerned about this because this is my first pregnancy and I'm 37 years old.  My endo does not seem all that concerned as he has lots of patients and is very busy.  My OB (who specializes in high risk pregnancies and thyroid disorders) said he would not be concerned about my thyroid until the TSH gets to 4.0.  I feel like I'm providing my own medical care.  I'm glad to have found this forum and get help from you.  

Thanks,
Logris
Antibodies tells if we are autoimmune Hashi or autoimmune Graves', but all three thyroid levels/test can relate to autoimmune and which one, if you are autoimmune, you have antibodies. Antibodies only confirm what is already known.  There is no treatment or cure for antibodies, nothing can be done about them.  Sometimes they wax and wan, go up and down, or even go dormant only to show up again in the future.

Certain antibody is used to monitor cancer, certain antibodies are suspect of thyroid eye disease and some are used to monitor ATD remission.

I don't know of any relationship between antibodies and miscarriage per se.
There is association between the risk of a miscarriage and autoimmune thyroid disease which is caused by having antibodies, which is the reason to keep TSH between 1 and 2.

Studies done suggest  the presence or absence of thyroid antibodies does not seem to affect the future risk of miscarriage in this group of patients in some studies. Women with a history of recurrent pregnancy loss are no more likely than are fertile control subjects to have circulating thyroid autoantibodies.testing for antithyroid antibodies is not clinically useful in the evaluation of patients with a history of recurrent pregnancy loss.  In contrast to the data obtained in normal women, patients requiring assisted reproduction  assisted reproduction technology (IVF and similar interventions) who have positive thyroid antibodies may experience a higher rate of miscarriage, in one Belgian study.

Considerable evidence now attests to the importance of normalizing thyroid function prior to any planned pregnancy. If this is done, the outcome of the pregnancy should not be affected by the presence of the thyroid disorder and their  antibodies.

Hope this hepls you understand.  I.E.  Keep TSH in the normalized zone.

GL
My main problem started last year when my primary recommended that I see the endo for an adjustment because my thyroid was at 2.5. At that time I was taking an alternating dose of Armour Thyroid 90 one day and 75mg the other. Most doctors don't like this regimen, but it worked for me at the time. So, then the endo upped my dosage to 90 mg. After about two or three months I became hyperactive thyroid and started getting all these crazy symptoms--rapid heart rate, difficulty swallowing, panic attacks etc...I ended up in the hospital etc...saw a cardiologist, got worked up...nothing was "wrong" except for the thyroid levels. So they reduced my dosage to 75 mg on Levoyxl. I ended up getting hypoactive after about a month or so. Then a new doctor put me on 100 mg of Levoxyl. My tests still indicated that I was a bit hypoactive. The doctor wanted to up my dosage to 112mcg, but I didn't. I waited for the next test. After about a month or so I became hyperactive thyroid on the 100mcg. Good thing I didn't take the 112mcg. So, then the doctor decided to give me a few days off of taking the medication to clear my system, and start me at 88mcg. Then after about 6 weeks I got tested and my thyroid had high TSH or hypoactive 4.66. So that is where I am at now. So, he is keeping me at 88mcg, because last month I skipped a few days, so he thinks that could have influenced the numbers. But, that is where I am at now...So, here is my question...Is my thyroid EVER GOING TO GET BACK IN BALANCE? It seems like it fluctuates like crazy back and forth eversince that doctor made the original change in the medication last summer and I haven't been totally right since. I am also concerned about how quickly the levels seem to shift. Before I took my blood test this time around I had missed one or two days of taking my medication...what kind of difference could skipping one or two days make in the overall TSH reading? Like can it drop from a 2 to a 4 in two days for example? I am guess I am not really sure about how this part works. Any feedback would be really helpful, as sometimes I feel like I am alone with this eventhough I do have support systems. Overall I am a healthy person, but this feels like it is becoming a hinderance or nuisance.
My thyroid level is 4.66. I am concerned because it is so low, and I am taking medication. The doctor thinks I should continue with what I am taking and be a bit more compliant with it. But I am wondering if staying on the same dose is really going to make me more balanced or is my thyroid TSH likely to get higher. These are the things I worry about. Having this problem constantly makes me feel like I have to pay careful attention to how I am feeling all the time and that can get to be quite exchausting. Does anyone else feel this way? Just curious.